Since getting my playbook I have struggled to use what bb laughably call their DTM software. Slow, sloppy and very badly coded it would sometimes load and then again sometimes not load. The usb driver side of windows always works perfectly but the amount of error messages about can't sync, can't backup etc etc became boring. Add a new bb device sent the software into convulsions requiring an uninstall followed by reboot and reinstall.

When I got my Z10 I installed link as directed and was slightly more impressed but always waiting for the inevitable error message. I tried my pb with link and received error messages stating that link was not compatible with the OS and to use DTM. After that I only used link when I needed to do my regular backup of my Z10 but over the weeks as I backed up the link software itself updated twice but I had no idea what the updates contained. Last week I mistakenly plugged in my pb instead of my Z10 and the link software recognised it immediately and set up the pb as a device. I tested it by doing a backup of my pb and it worked perfectly much to my surprise.

This morning I wanted to download a new cd collection that I bought from Amazon last night so I thought I would see how the link package performed when used in anger. I was absolutely astounded at the results. It's sooooooo easy to transfer anything, files, music, photos, videos in fact anything that is compatible with both devices. It worked smoothly although a little slow, it's graphically well presented and really pleasing to use, especially comparing it to DTM which is clunky, unreliable and not user friendly at all.

I would recommend anyone, especially those suffering connection problems with DTM and Windows 7 and 8 to uninstall DTM and download Link from the BB site.

If only bb could employ OS coders as good as the Link coders!
    FF22 and eddy_berry like this.
    06-01-13 07:11 AM
    Please do not reply to this thread as I will not reply. It would seem that yet again I have upset another moderator who has nothing better to do, because I responded to the Rochdale Cowboy in a provoking manner by saying "check the quality of your supplier".

My god people post bull**** and when the reply to bull**** is bull****, he doesn't get the flak I do. My advice would be telling the muppet to grow up but I'm glad it has finally come to this.

The innocent get punished and the dictators rule!
    06-01-13 08:20 AM
    The software still needs improvement. At least, I think so. I would still like the ability to selectively backup and restore apps and data. And I've never used either the Link or earlier Desktop software for moving data. I still prefer using drag/drop under Windows Explorer.
    06-01-13 08:38 AM
    The software still needs improvement. At least, I think so. I would still like the ability to selectively backup and restore apps and data. And I've never used either the Link or earlier Desktop software for moving data. I still prefer using drag/drop under Windows Explorer.
    I haven't tried Link but these are my thoughts exactly regarding Desktop Manager.
    06-01-13 09:29 AM
    F2, seriously if this wasn't a reply to YOUR post I wouldn't be making itbecause I've had enough of this interfering bureaucratic interference from small minded people,especially those that are given a little bit of power and fail to switch their brain on before they use it. They use their power simply because "they can do" and you have no idea how annoyed I am at the moment.

In response to your post, please please try Link! It is drag and drop. It is like using explorer only more graphical. It is smooth in operation, always connects and you can have multiple devices registered to it. It also creates its own set of folders in windows for each device that is registered so you don't sync something to your pb that you only want on your phone. It also only syncs what you tell it to sync, 1 file, 100 files (it has a limit of 500 files) instead of the old DTM that syncing everything in the selected directory. It's not like me to rave about anything that bb (or moderators) do these days and you know that but IMHO this is the best thing that's happened to my pb in over 12 months!

If you try it please let me know your views as they are important to me but I will not reply.
    El Bori likes this.
    06-01-13 10:42 AM
    Me too. I backup app data and settings using DTM & drag & drop all my media. No headaches that way.
    06-01-13 10:54 AM
    F2, seriously if this wasn't a reply to YOUR post I wouldn't be making itbecause I've had enough of this interfering bureaucratic interference from small minded people,especially those that are given a little bit of power and fail to switch their brain on before they use it. They use their power simply because "they can do" and you have no idea how annoyed I am at the moment.

In response to your post, please please try Link! It is drag and drop. It is like using explorer only more graphical. It is smooth in operation, always connects and you can have multiple devices registered to it. It also creates its own set of folders in windows for each device that is registered so you don't sync something to your pb that you only want on your phone. It also only syncs what you tell it to sync, 1 file, 100 files (it has a limit of 500 files) instead of the old DTM that syncing everything in the selected directory. It's not like me to rave about anything that bb (or moderators) do these days and you know that but IMHO this is the best thing that's happened to my pb in over 12 months!

If you try it please let me know your views as they are important to me but I will not reply.
    While I will probably give it a try unless it works with wifi connections, I rarely hook my pb up using the usb and do almost all transfers using wifi-sharing. Just convenient. Further, I also generally abhor SYNC as it inevitably erases something on one end or the other that I did not want it to do. Just because I hook up my device (mp3 player, bb phone or pb) to the computer and want to transfer Mahler (might as well go high brow!) does not mean I also want the Rolling Stones and just because I moved Mozart out of some folder does not mean I want it deleted from my pb or recopied back to my computer. Somehow these types of sync-eccentricities have occurred more than once. But I will definitely give it a try as I did install Link a while ago.

Today, alas, I go to a memorial service for a friend swept away by an avalanche (dastardly snow) and then to a going away party for some friends moving out of state - busy day.

And being the Ambassadorial (not moderator) type - you know negotiate ad nauseum - the moderators can't win.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-01-13 11:36 AM
    While I will probably give it a try unless it works with wifi connections, I rarely hook my pb up using the usb and do almost all transfers using wifi-sharing. Just convenient. Further, I also generally abhor SYNC as it inevitably erases something on one end or the other that I did not want it to do. Just because I hook up my device (mp3 player, bb phone or pb) to the computer and want to transfer Mahler (might as well go high brow!) does not mean I also want the Rolling Stones and just because I moved Mozart out of some folder does not mean I want it deleted from my pb or recopied back to my computer. Somehow these types of sync-eccentricities have occurred more than once. But I will definitely give it a try as I did install Link a while ago.

Today, alas, I go to a memorial service for a friend swept away by an avalanche (dastardly snow) and then to a going away party for some friends moving out of state - busy day.

And being the Ambassadorial (not moderator) type - you know negotiate ad nauseum - the moderators can't win.
    Again I say please try it. It has wifi connectivity and sync doesn't erase anything! It says it's syncing but erase the word and replace with copying! Imagine a graphical version of explorer, single/multiple file copy (it says sync) and please don't do this again! Your just dragging me in to another post with your enticing ways. Try it! Love it! Advise other members about it and I will just read the posts. Now cease!
    06-01-13 11:46 AM
    If it's just doing the same thing as Windows Explorer, as you say it is, there is absolutely no point. Why reinvent the wheel when the one that's already there works pretty darn good?
    06-01-13 11:56 AM
    SOM, I really can't see that what you said in that thread was in anyway provocative or offensive. You were just having your usual bit of fun.

So, we're a GANG now are we. If that's the case, why didn't we all get it in the neck?

Don't take it to heart. This forum wouldn't be the same without your banter.

Alan.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-01-13 01:37 PM
    Again I say please try it. It has wifi connectivity and sync doesn't erase anything! It says it's syncing but erase the word and replace with copying! Imagine a graphical version of explorer, single/multiple file copy (it says sync) and please don't do this again! Your just dragging me in to another post with your enticing ways. Try it! Love it! Advise other members about it and I will just read the posts. Now cease!
    Link is HORRIBLE. i avoid it at all costs it messes up all the album art on my songs, signs me out all the time and at times fails to see my Q10 on wifi. the GUI is to simple to the point where i find it ugly... i don't know what Link is like on windows beacuse i dont want my device info scattered through out all my computers but i know for sure the OSX version needs a lot of help!
    06-01-13 01:46 PM
    Anybody know if it works on Windows 8?

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-01-13 04:49 PM
    Hi, I am not sure if I understood you correctly OP.

Are you saying it is heavenly because it works as well as seeing the playbook Documents folder in the network par of Windows Explorer ?

Is it just copy/paste or drag and drop you're talking about, or is there something else ?
    06-01-13 07:17 PM
    Hi, I am not sure if I understood you correctly OP.

Are you saying it is heavenly because it works as well as seeing the playbook Documents folder in the network par of Windows Explorer ?

Is it just copy/paste or drag and drop you're talking about, or is there something else ?
    Why can people not just keep thoughts simple. Yes I am! Because it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two years of struggling with DTM failing to connect, sometimes connecting sometimes not. Dropping out half way through a backup. Freezing midstream with error messages from windows stating DTM has stopped responding.

I like it simply because it's stable. I don't care if the UI is not to everyone's liking, let's be honest the way some people evaluate software it will always be either too complicated, too simple or something else. I connect one device and when I'm finished I connect another device and then another. Link never fails to connect and each device has its own directory within windows for your music, photos and documents so you don't end up with multiple copies of the same files on every device you have.

I apologise if some members dislike my positive comments regarding a bb software product but then again some members would complain even if I was giving away $100 bills free!
    06-02-13 06:54 AM
    some members would complain even if I was giving away $100 bills free!
    Not me. If I got enough I could afford a new tablet and phone. Do you need my address or has your missile guidance system got it already?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-02-13 09:38 AM
    Yes link saved me. DTM wouldn't back up my Playbook for some reason. Maybe some leftover code from long since removed side loaded apps. I don't know. Link did it without question. Sure it needs some work. So did DTM. But for new software for QNX devices it is quite well done. I hope it gets regular updates. What am I saying. I'm sure it will. So glad they allowed it to handle PBs. Now they just need to give us BB10 and we will all be happy.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-02-13 10:48 AM
    Yes link saved me. DTM wouldn't back up my Playbook for some reason. Maybe some leftover code from long since removed side loaded apps. I don't know. Link did it without question. Sure it needs some work. So did DTM. But for new software for QNX devices it is quite well done. I hope it gets regular updates. What am I saying. I'm sure it will. So glad they allowed it to handle PBs. Now they just need to give us BB10 and we will all be happy.
    And that's the subtle difference! Link needs updates but the core program is stable and works, or as the fanboys love to say "does what it says on the tin". DTM didn't need updates it needed completely rewriting!

The interesting thing for me is when Link was first released it wasn't compatible with 2.1. In a very very short space of time and as if by magic it is now compatible with 2.1?

Therefore this is confusing and totally against RIM's approach to solutions. With a little thought one can only conclude that the pb 2.1 as I have said many many times, is actually bb10 with certain sub routines disabled. Knowing BB's ineptitude they could not have converted link to encompass the pb in such a short space of time. My god it took them longer than that to make bridge compatible with the Q10 and they already knew the launch date for it because they set it!

Another issue is why? If the pb is dead why not just leave it struggling along with DTM. Dead pb with no further use to them and has connection software for a pc, end of story. But no they go to the trouble of making it compatible with software that was coded specifically for bb10 devices?

Just a thought! (fanboys ignore that word its something you don't do)!
    Last edited by sad_old_man; 06-02-13 at 01:04 PM.
    06-02-13 11:19 AM
    And that's the subtle difference! Link needs updates but the core program is stable and works, or as the fanboys love to say "does what it says on the tin". DTM didn't need updates it needed completely rewriting!

The interesting thing for me is when Link was first released it wasn't compatible with 2.1. In a very very short space of time and as if by magic it is now compatible with 2.1?

Therefore this is confusing and totally against RIM's approach to solutions. With a little thought one can only conclude that the pb 2.1 as I have said many many times, is actually bb10 with certain sub routines disabled. Knowing BB's ineptitude they could not have converted link to encompass the pb in such a short space of time. My god it took them longer than that to make bridge compatible with the Q10 and they already new the launch date for it because they set it!

Another issue is why? If the pb is dead why not just leave it struggling along with DTM. Dead pb with no further use to them and has connection software for a pc, end of story. But no they go to the trouble of making it compatible with software that was coded specifically for bb10 devices?

Just a thought! (fanboys ignore that word its something you don't do)!
    My curiosity is, if playbook as is is outdated or dead. Why would some of BB main clients such as the Department of Defense uses the device? Do these special clients get a different functionality than average playbook users don't? Playbook update or no update, no new tablet coming out from BB. Tablet market will be dead in 5 years. All these are very confusing signals that BB is sending. From marketing stand point this is a disaster. As someone mentioned, for a company who claim to make the best communication device, it certainly suck in communicating with it's clients be it customers or investors. Regardless if the playbook is a 2 year old device, or a beta for current and future BB10 devices, it's existence cannot be ignore without a clear explanation as to where it's future lies. If it's dead customers need to have some sort of a closure. It's a fundamental way of establishing trust between any sort of relationship. How this particular issue is handle certainly shaken my confidence about the operation of the company. Never mind about how analysts trying to undermine BB shares by short selling. Never mind competitors like Apple and Samsung have more pulls with the carriers. This is a BB communication mishap that can easily correct. Leave it alone long enough will only increase the negative impact on the image of the company even if it has good intention of making good on it's promise.
    sad_old_man and eddy_berry like this.
    06-02-13 11:49 AM
    Regarding the 'other' thread, yes, I was surprised as well. I didn't see anything offensive at all but all of a sudden the OP got very, very upset...

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-02-13 11:55 AM
    My curiosity is, if playbook as is is outdated or dead. Why would some of BB main clients such as the Department of Defense uses the device? Do these special clients get a different functionality than average playbook users don't? Playbook update or no update, no new tablet coming out from BB. Tablet market will be dead in 5 years. All these are very confusing signals that BB is sending. From marketing stand point this is a disaster. As someone mentioned, for a company who claim to make the best communication device, it certainly suck in communicating with it's clients be it customers or investors. Regardless if the playbook is a 2 year old device, or a beta for current and future BB10 devices, it's existence cannot be ignore without a clear explanation as to where it's future lies. If it's dead customers need to have some sort of a closure. It's a fundamental way of establishing trust between any sort of relationship. How this particular issue is handle certainly shaken my confidence about the operation of the company. Never mind about how analysts trying to undermine BB shares by short selling. Never mind competitors like Apple and Samsung have more pulls with the carriers. This is a BB communication mishap that can easily correct. Leave it alone long enough will only increase the negative impact on the image of the company even if it has good intention of making good on it's promise.
    Yes.
    06-02-13 11:58 AM
    +1000000

Are you listening BlackBerry? This right here is what should be relayed to Mr. Heinz immediately.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-02-13 12:23 PM
    Sorry man, I hate Link. A few minutes ago, as it was updating my songs, it crashed mid update. No reason.

Earlier, I tried to import my contacts. it failed.

I tried to copy over videos last night. It arbitrarily cancelled partway through.

I have thousands of album covers painstainkingly loaded to my library. About 15% of them show up at all in Link and not always on the right songs.

I like the Z10 and BlackBerry 10 but god, I detest Link.
    Enzetsu and BB-Marcus like this.
    06-02-13 12:25 PM
    Please do not reply to this thread as I will not reply.
    So much for not replying, haha. Good one
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-02-13 12:33 PM
    Sorry man, I hate Link....
    ...I like the Z10 and BlackBerry 10 but god, I detest Link.
    Well I surely didn't say it was perfect. But I agreed with S_O_M and his thread that it made dealing with the Playbook a lot better. Are you using Link on a Mac or Windows?
    06-02-13 01:00 PM
    Well I surely didn't say it was perfect. But I agreed with S_O_M and his thread that it made dealing with the Playbook a lot better. Are you using Link on a Mac or Windows?
    Mac. Sends a pretty awful message to iPhone users considering a switch if they are on a Mac now. As much as I am not a big fan of iTunes, its syncing usually works well. Link has now crashed for me four times while trying to sync my music library and almost none of my album art is showing up.

What a POS (on a Mac).
    06-02-13 01:41 PM
102 123 ...