I dont have a BB phone so havent tried the Bridge function on my PlayBook. I really like what I've seen with using a BB phone as a remote. It seems to be more functional than some of the existing bluetooth keyboards/mice. I'm particularly interested in the slide advance feature that can be used on Slides to Go.

My question is: do you need a BB data (or voice) plan on the phone to use BB Bridge? In other words, can I use an old BB phone (OS6) without a SIM card as a remote?

Thanks.
    01-11-12 12:22 AM
    Dunno, but you'll need the data plan to install the Bridge app to the phone to start with...
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-11-12 12:25 AM
    More questions:
    Can I side load bridge? Can I get a pay as you go BB SIM card to install bridge? Any good BB pay as you go plans for Canadians?
    01-11-12 12:37 AM
    No you don't have to have a data plan to bridge. As to initially loading the bridge app, can be done via wifi or BB Desktop Manager. I've never tried that, but I read a post where a member had done it that way with an unactivated phone. It uses bluetooth for the connection. I've used bridge on numerous occasions when I had data services and wifi off. BUT, I can't speak for other carriers, but you can't activate a smartphone or data capable phone with Verizon without a data plan anymore. No choice. Bridgeworks great though. I've been in areas with no cell or wifi signal and can still bridge and take care of business thats on my phone a lot more conveniently via the PB.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-11-12 at 12:45 AM.
    01-11-12 12:38 AM
    Dunno, but you'll need the data plan to install the Bridge app to the phone to start with...
    in theory you should be able to install bridge with desktop manager
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-11-12 12:42 AM
    You just need the OTA bridge file that can be found here in the forums. Well, the "new" one when it is released that is. You can use the wifi on your BB to browse the forums even if it's not on an active data plan then once installed should be good to go.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-11-12 12:45 AM
    You just need the OTA bridge file that can be found here in the forums. Well, the "new" one when it is released that is. You can use the wifi on your BB to browse the forums even if it's not on an active data plan then once installed should be good to go.
    Thanks for the info. That sounds great!
    01-11-12 12:53 AM
    Is anyone else going 'how come this wasn't thought of before now?' Or am I the only non-laterally thinking dolt around here?
    01-11-12 12:58 AM
    Axllebeer is correct. AppWorld won't work without a data plan but you can use the OTA download method over WiFi. Once Bridge is installed the remote features should work fine as they're just over Bluetooth. Don't expect other Bridge features to work, but with native PIM in 2.0 you won't need them.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-11-12 12:58 AM
    Is anyone else going 'how come this wasn't thought of before now?' Or am I the only non-laterally thinking dolt around here?
    the remote? it was thought of before now. it just hadnt been implemented until now
    kbz1960 and Serkle K like this.
    01-11-12 05:31 AM
    You can try visiting rroyy.com where the bridge app is available OTA. That's how AT&T users are getting it so avoid tethering charges.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-11-12 09:37 AM
    I had this same thought as soon as I heard about the remote option. I turned my Mobile network off while bridged and the bridge didn't drop so I assume that is proof that if the bridge app is on your Blackberry phone all you need is bluetooth to connect to Playbook and the remote option should work ok.
    Last edited by BiggiCol; 01-17-12 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
    01-17-12 07:15 PM
    I had this same thought as soon as I heard about the remote option. I turned my Mobile network off while bridged and the bridge didn't drop so I assume that is proof that if the bridge app is on your Blackberry phone all you need is bluetooth to connect to Playbook and the remote option should work ok.
    01-17-12 07:18 PM
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I just got an unlocked used BB Torch 9800 running OS 6 and downloaded the Bridge OTA file on the phone using rroyy's links:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-5-a-621230/
    Bridge is working, so I should be able to use the Torch as a remote control!

Coming from an iPhone4 (which is my main phone), I keep forgetting about the Torch's keyboard
    01-19-12 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD