This is what I'm talking about, rascals like this that announce doom and gloom. This is so annoying:

RIM: Kill Yourself So Others Might Live
    06-29-12 04:26 PM
    When this is what RIM is up against, how much of a chance does RIM have?
    06-29-12 04:29 PM
    This is what I'm talking about, rascals like this that announce doom and gloom. This is so annoying:

Sad, but true and should be reality check for RIM.
    06-29-12 05:00 PM

10/10 classless but sadly true.
    06-29-12 05:05 PM
    4g playbook, elimination of 16gb playbook, and still no sd slot. Paaaaathetic! Can you say crappy Apple clone?
    06-29-12 05:11 PM
    They lose money at a 200 price pt the pb was more than that to build its not a kindle fire and amazon loses money on the fire as will google on nexus 7 however they sell content and they will make profit on the content sold for the tablet RIM doesn't
    06-29-12 06:58 PM
    So much talk about them going away/out of business.. in the end how really important is it to pontificate about?
    Also last I knew many people strived to have a company that keeps increasing its cash on hand and have 2B in the bank and no debt. Not only do they have 2B to spend, possibly someone would lend them monies and or sell of a few things. Still they would be a good sized company, maybe not the size of Apple or MS, but possibly bigger than the companies most of us on here work for. It's bigger than my company and I hope my employees don't go around all day talking doom when
    Hmmm, 2b in cash. Loose 518m last quarter. Wonder how long they can keep increasing cash on hand while running in the red. Employees talking about doom? I know several who quit after the report came out. Look at the bright side, rim saves additional money since they don't have to provide a severance package to them.
    06-29-12 09:56 PM
    Were they sold out of the 16 gig model because they gave so many of them away for free?

I am quite puzzled that RIM would still want to continue down the road of offering an LTE Playbook. A few months ago, there were some statistics - that I can't find right now - indicating that it has proven to be difficult companies and wireless providers to convince people to get an LTE/4G tablet along with an additional price plan over and above what they are paying now. The WiFi Ipad 3, for example, out sells the 4G+WiFi version by a wide margin. Given that the economic outlooks are collapsing yet again, 4G/LTE on a tablet may be seen as a luxury only.

If the hypothesis holds true that WiFi will outsell 4G and given that RIM has only sold some 250,000+ Playbooks around the world, wouldn't it stand to reason the amount of people around the world who want a 4G version has to be smaller than 250,000? If the market is that small, then why waste resources on it?
    Yea, I'd say a 4G is literally the complete wrong direction. The problem is they've already spent a lot of money and effort into making it, shopping it out, so they probably feel committed. Although I can't see why they even started on the project in the first place when like you said, data plan devices are soft compared to WiFi ones.

So they're taking a niche market and making it more niche while losing the low-end affordability of the current Playbook but not reaching the "upscale" iPad. I can't see it being anything other than DOA.
    06-30-12 02:06 AM
    Why in the world would they already have manufactured the 4G model last year? So you are saying they will bring to market a device with more than 1 year old hardware in them? If they did this, that is plannnig for failure and no wonder they are in this bad state. I also do not think their financial statements or stock levels indicate that to be the fact.
    I think they had the hardware ready to go. Don't think the software was ready, and I think the carriers wanted to see sales performance on the WiFi model before they'd commit to a mobile model.

My suspicion is that OS2.1 has some infrastructure goodies that support 4G and that there are a few carriers out there who are ready to commit. Also possible: there might be a couple of big enterprise customers willing to go for a wide deployment (COMPLETE speculation on my part... God knows I've been wrong before...)
    06-30-12 02:10 AM
    I think they had the hardware ready to go. Don't think the software was ready, and I think the carriers wanted to see sales performance on the WiFi model before they'd commit to a mobile model.

My suspicion is that OS2.1 has some infrastructure goodies that support 4G and that there are a few carriers out there who are ready to commit. Also possible: there might be a couple of big enterprise customers willing to go for a wide deployment (COMPLETE speculation on my part... God knows I've been wrong before...)
    Apparently BBM.
    06-30-12 06:52 AM
    Why in the world would they already have manufactured the 4G model last year? So you are saying they will bring to market a device with more than 1 year old hardware in them? If they did this, that is plannnig for failure and no wonder they are in this bad state. I also do not think their financial statements or stock levels indicate that to be the fact.
    Well, they are planning on releasing bb10 with the same hardware that was planned since the beginning according to Thor. So it will be year old hardware before it arrives, if it even does make it to market.
    06-30-12 09:08 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD