"near future" from BlackBerry is pretty ambiguous!
    06-29-12 12:52 AM
    If RIM Kills the PB, they will kill all the developers along with it.

With no BB10 PHONE to develop for, the PB is the next best thing for BB devs.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-29-12 01:56 AM
    Hold something else not your breath.
    06-29-12 03:29 AM
    I think RIM needs to get certain mainstream apps available to existing Playbook users before they think about launching any new hardware versions. Users want and need Skype, Sat-Nav with proper off-line maps and even Netflix. They need to prove that they listen to their customers and have learned from their mistakes. The Playbook need certain apps before it needs LTE/4G!!!
    06-29-12 04:06 AM
    I, for now, am sticking with my Playbook. While I can certainly afford a Nexus 7, living with the Playbook made me realize I will not buy another tablet without a media slot. I don't really care if it is SD or microSD as long as it has one. I have accounts with all the major cloud storage companies but it does me no good when I don't have access to wifi. I am guessing that other tablet manufacturers will step up their games and will offer jelly bean tablets by Christmas. I will be looking for a 7" tablet in the $200 - $300 range as a Christmas gift to myself. After that, my Playbook will be retired.
    06-29-12 05:53 AM
    I also hate to say it but I think os development for the PB is dead. RIM should do us a Solid and just unlock the boot loader so we can install a dual boot I like qnx but would like run android and install android apps/ not convert and sideload them. I love having android on my sons Touchpad its just an Alpha version but it runs great.
    06-29-12 06:53 AM
    Thread title says it all. I for one don't care about BB10 hardware. , I don't even own a smartphone. However, I do care about the continued development of the Playbook. Right now I'm fairly happy with the OS 2.1 beta. I want to see it get finished and also the one missing piece of my app puzzle, Skype, make it onto the device. But now with the delay I worry that development around the PB will stagnate. I hope this move is really about making BB10 awesome and not a sign of a slow decline that will also impact the PB and developer interest kn the overall QNX platform.

RCK
    The question is: does it make business sense for RIM to produce any more Playbooks. The market is flooded and while RIM sold a few hundred thousand others sold tens of millions of units. The market is settling in around the $200. Can RIM make any money with them? There may be a small captive market for secure government needs, but only if it provides higher security.

The Playbook with its present OS is competitive but few even know it exists. It is the victim of gross mismanagement by incompetent management. It is not clear that the new management understands market realities much better than the old management. Their product development cycle appears to be two to three times longer than that of their competition.
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 06-29-12 at 07:14 AM.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-29-12 07:04 AM
    The question is: does it make business sense for RIM to produce any more Playbooks. The market is flooded and while RIM sold a few hundred thousand others sold tens of millions of units. The market is settling in around the $200. Can RIM make any money with them? There may be a small captive market for secure government needs, but only if it provides higher security.

The Playbook with its present OS is competitive but few even know it exists. It is the victim of gross mismanagement by incompetent management. It is not clear that the new management understands market realities much better than the old management. Their product development cycle appears to be two to three times longer than that of their competition.
    It only make sense if they can make money out of it. They don't have to be the no.1 in the market, as long as they sell and make money then it's good for them. There are lot of cheap tablets out there which has far less market share than Playbook but they do exist because the company who make them can still get profit.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-29-12 07:25 AM
    Same here I have two PB's 16g and 64g and my Bold 9930, they work great together. I've been saving up for BB10,and look at this way, I can wait till 2013 and if comes out to be great I win, if not I will have the cash saved for something else.But not giving up till I have to.
    06-29-12 07:30 AM
    Playbook is awesome, don't be folish by the media! I didn't heard anything from RIM saying they will stop supporting playbook. They just realease a beta update that brings most welcome features.
    I don't even care about BB10, as long OS 2 keeps improving. Apple iOS didn't change much since version 4, and you know what, people continue to buy it like crazy!

I don't see nothing wrong with the OS, despite some minor issues. Playbook is surely better than most android tablets out there. Do I get a better tablet experience for the same money elsewhere?
    I'm seeing more great apps every day. So I don't understand why everyone is so pessimist about the future of playbook. I realize that most android tablets shipped last year are already dead, if playbook isn't is because it still has potential.

I honestly believe that they'll get't right, just because they are not terribly wrong.
    06-29-12 07:47 AM
    I think RIM needs to get certain mainstream apps available to existing Playbook users before they think about launching any new hardware versions. Users want and need Skype, Sat-Nav with proper off-line maps and even Netflix. They need to prove that they listen to their customers and have learned from their mistakes. The Playbook need certain apps before it needs LTE/4G!!!
    That's right! And they also need a good eReader app if they want to tap into that market as well. And it's a huge potential market too, if they could capture even a fraction of the sales now going to the likes of the Kindle Fire.

The version of the Kobo reader available doesn't really do the trick.

You can say that RIM should hold back and wait for Apps from outside developers. But if core functionality, like eReaders, is not available then the company has to step in and make it happen!

06-29-12 07:57 AM
    i really don't see the point in launching a 4G playbook before BB10 arrives.

they should hold off and release it within months of the BB10 release, with BB10 pre-loaded on the 4G PB, so it seems like a new wave of blackberry products. advertise the crap out of it so people are getting bombarded with ads for BB10 phones and tablets and how well they work together...kinda like how apple shows how well iphones work with icloud and mac laptops and ipads.
    06-29-12 08:13 AM
    RIM shares dive as analysts slash targets after devastating Q1 results | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

Look, it doesn't matter how great the next Blackberry phone / Playbook is, what matters is perception in business. No company is going to move to Blackberry phones / Playbook when they are not sure the company will exist next year. RIMs value is tanking. They will have no choice but to sell. Whoever buys the company will have some valuable assets. I just hope they do something with them.
    06-29-12 08:16 AM
    Why don't all Crackberry users get their spare change together and buy RIM!

This morning I would have put my PB up for sale but 2 things stopped me: 1. my wife got it for me as a gift and I'll loose brownie points if I sold it. 2. I don't want an iPad and not fussy on Android.

I like the PB...I just wish they release a perfect OS for it. But the fact I can copy whatever files to it quickly, jump from app to app, and bridge to my work BB is enough to hang onto it for now.
    06-29-12 09:09 AM
    I see no business reason or logic for a 4G PB now. Who will buy it? What is the demand? I do not think a lot.

The current PB's hardware and specs stills compare fairly good with what is available, so if I were RIM, I would spend time (a lot) to improve and make the current 2.0+ solid to retain customer base (and hopefully grow it a little) and work in the meantime to bring out a new PB hardware with BB10 launch and then also upgrade the current PB's software to BB10. I think that is something they can sell without loosing too much (or further) market share.

In total, the current PB and BB7 phones are fairly good on the hardware side, so RIM survival should focus on updated the OS for those hardware (hopefully BB10 can be upgraded on those) and then work on some basic new hardware together with BB10 lauch.

They should NOT go for the homerun grandslam. Just do it an infield hit and score the 2 or 3 runs while keeping players on bases.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-29-12 at 09:46 AM.
    06-29-12 09:34 AM
    4G Playbook? Not a chance, I believe.

RIM is not going to invest in new inventory while making financial losses. It needs to reinvest the cash flow from its operations to getting BB10 out the door. Not sinking it into inventory in a product that they couldn't sell at a profit.
    06-29-12 09:41 AM
    I still love my playbook and use it every day for business and personal. My ipad collects dust. Has plenty of games/apps to keep me busy.

I don't see how they can expect to sell 4G playbooks when they can hardly sell wifi ones though...
    06-29-12 09:55 AM
    If RIM partners with Microsoft for survival, like this article suggests, it would break my heart and I would abandon the system. Microsoft is a ruiner of all good things. Their business practices are deplorable.

RIM & Microsoft possible, but hopefully not likely, merger
    06-29-12 11:07 AM
    If RIM Kills the PB, they will kill all the developers along with it.

With no BB10 PHONE to develop for, the PB is the next best thing for BB devs.
    Without a BB10 phone (very likely now), there are no BB devs.
    06-29-12 11:17 AM
    This is why im glad I ditched the pb for the new iPad, the playbook is dead rim are so full of s@@t. They won't be about much longer so much for new management new start same old same old
    rickgainsmith likes this.
    06-29-12 12:21 PM
    Just purchased a new 32gb today. My wife and I are always fighting over my 16gb so now she has her own and I have a fresh one. Whether it gets bb10 or not i still love it.
    Marty_LK and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-29-12 12:36 PM
    So much talk about them going away/out of business.. in the end how really important is it to pontificate about?
    Also last I knew many people strived to have a company that keeps increasing its cash on hand and have 2B in the bank and no debt. Not only do they have 2B to spend, possibly someone would lend them monies and or sell of a few things. Still they would be a good sized company, maybe not the size of Apple or MS, but possibly bigger than the companies most of us on here work for. It's bigger than my company and I hope my employees don't go around all day talking doom when
    06-29-12 01:08 PM
    His exact words

"We have shipped approximately 260,000 PlayBooks and have sold out of the 16-gig model. We continue to sell the 32- and 64-gigabyte models. And new LTE PlayBooks are in the final stages of testing with certain carrier partners, and we expect to launch these in the near future."
    Were they sold out of the 16 gig model because they gave so many of them away for free?

I am quite puzzled that RIM would still want to continue down the road of offering an LTE Playbook. A few months ago, there were some statistics - that I can't find right now - indicating that it has proven to be difficult companies and wireless providers to convince people to get an LTE/4G tablet along with an additional price plan over and above what they are paying now. The WiFi Ipad 3, for example, out sells the 4G+WiFi version by a wide margin. Given that the economic outlooks are collapsing yet again, 4G/LTE on a tablet may be seen as a luxury only.

If the hypothesis holds true that WiFi will outsell 4G and given that RIM has only sold some 250,000+ Playbooks around the world, wouldn't it stand to reason the amount of people around the world who want a 4G version has to be smaller than 250,000? If the market is that small, then why waste resources on it?
    wet_coast likes this.
    06-29-12 02:21 PM
    4G Playbook? Not a chance, I believe.

RIM is not going to invest in new inventory while making financial losses. It needs to reinvest the cash flow from its operations to getting BB10 out the door. Not sinking it into inventory in a product that they couldn't sell at a profit.
    I don't think they're investing in "new" inventory at all. I suspect all the 4G Playbooks were manufactured last year and are sitting in warehouses as we speak.

The trick is to make sure the OS supports it, and that there is a carrier somewhere who is willing to sell it.
    06-29-12 02:44 PM
    I don't think they're investing in "new" inventory at all. I suspect all the 4G Playbooks were manufactured last year and are sitting in warehouses as we speak.

The trick is to make sure the OS supports it, and that there is a carrier somewhere who is willing to sell it.
    Why in the world would they already have manufactured the 4G model last year? So you are saying they will bring to market a device with more than 1 year old hardware in them? If they did this, that is plannnig for failure and no wonder they are in this bad state. I also do not think their financial statements or stock levels indicate that to be the fact.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-29-12 at 03:19 PM.
    06-29-12 03:14 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD