Thread title says it all. I for one don't care about BB10 hardware. , I don't even own a smartphone. However, I do care about the continued development of the Playbook. Right now I'm fairly happy with the OS 2.1 beta. I want to see it get finished and also the one missing piece of my app puzzle, Skype, make it onto the device. But now with the delay I worry that development around the PB will stagnate. I hope this move is really about making BB10 awesome and not a sign of a slow decline that will also impact the PB and developer interest kn the overall QNX platform.

RCK
    06-28-12 06:10 PM
    I don't think 2.1 will be affected anymore than what it was already. I am curious to see if BB 10 will be out for the playbook at the same time as the phones or if it will be late 2013 or Q1 of 2014 before BB 10 hits the playbook.
    06-28-12 07:06 PM
    I hope PlayBook 4G comes out prior to BB10 RIM needs to put out something.
    06-28-12 07:20 PM
    I doubt the 4G Playbook ever launches.

2.1 OS should be RTM in July sometime, unless they found a time consuming bug in 2.1 that I am not seeing.
    bbfan1040 and rcm1301 like this.
    06-28-12 07:29 PM
    Today's news was very disappointing. But if you think about it this was known by rim for quite some time.

It made no.sense to me that playbook 2.1 would launch official and only a few months later the playbook would get blackberry10???

It never made sense to me but it does now. 2.1 because blackberry10 won't arrive for a longggggg time. If ever it does arrive.

It's just not looking good but ill remain hopeful.
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    06-28-12 07:33 PM
    Selfishly I thought, I wonder if I can benefit from the delay. All those BB 10 developers, maybe they will release tons of PlayBook goodies?!

Seems I wasn't the only one.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-28-12 08:00 PM
    It's a good thing you like 2.1. Because the odds are that you'll see nothing more.
    anon(4216152) and bbfan1040 like this.
    06-28-12 08:10 PM
    News round up just said that trimming down devices will mean Playbook is shelved to focus on profitable part of company (but I don't know if there is one now - but the cell phones must make them money).

So....so long to my 2 playbooks unfortunately and might as well get one of the new Nexus ones while there is a $25 credit with them if pre-ordered.

Too bad though....at least I will be able to run Torque with the Nexus tablet....

$400 on 2 PB's flushed down the toilet but I took a chance...
    06-28-12 08:14 PM
    ... if it will be late 2013 or Q1 of 2014 before BB 10 hits the playbook.
    Eek, by then the PB's battery wouldn't have enough power to run BB10 for more than a few minutes. Q1 of 2013 or bust!
    06-28-12 08:27 PM
    after 14 months the playbook is still in beta..android apps doesn't work, browser closes, no decent apps (no bloomberg news, no blackberry news, no reuters, no nytimes, no bbc), faux-webos-meego interface, no improvement. even the font is ugly.
    bridge is slow and laggy.

i always believe that playbook should have been launched on BBOS7, 100% working ecosystem with decent amount of application. then it could paddle along and enrich the line up of phones and a tablet.

current qnx is no better than meego or webos..most probably worse.
    06-28-12 08:57 PM
    All I can say is Google is obviously way ahead of the curve right now & is about to take over a SERIOUS chunk of the "Low End Tablet Market". I think that it's funny that the PlayBook fell into that category. The device is unbelievable and had lots of promise.

However, that being said... I am pretty happy with my Android phone and will be acquiring a Google Nexus ASAP & just be content in the Android world. I still love my PlayBook & will keep rocking it until it dies... Unless anyone wants to trade it for an iPad 2 or better!?

Good luck Crackberrians...
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-28-12 09:51 PM
    Sorry I'm one of the naysayers, but I don't we'll ever see it.
    06-28-12 09:52 PM
    Heins said today that RIM is now sold out of the
    16GB PlayBooks, which it plans to discontinue. Right now, the firm is prepping a 4G LTE version of the tablet, which "is in the final stages of testing" and will launch "in the near future," he said.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    06-28-12 10:03 PM
    It's a good thing you like 2.1. Because the odds are that you'll see nothing more.
    The more I read in the media (online), the more depressing it looks for RIM. Site after site I see has doomsday articles for RIM. I find it incredible that RIM is still alive already. Other companies in the shape of RIM have gone bankrupt much sooner. I certainly hope RIM survives, but it's really depressing right now.
    06-28-12 10:14 PM
    Wow.. I know todays news sucks.. Im sure pissed about it.. But damn everyone givin up on PB? Not me i love my 2
    anon(757282) likes this.
    06-28-12 10:17 PM
    I think the development of the PB is being extinguished. Let's face it, the first PB sold extremely poorly. They're not going to put a lot of money behind another one.

Once a tech item is tainted with failure and bad press, it's done. The PB is the Sarah Palin of the tablet world.
    06-28-12 10:24 PM
    BTW.. Everyone writting RIM off does realize they still have no debt.. Still make a profit.. & still got a pretty decent amount of money in the bank(a couple billion).. RIM is known for delays.. I honestly believed Thorsten was gonna change that but guess not.. It sucks.. But in reality i do love my BlackBerry (phones & tablets) im not jus sayin that.. I could easily get any phone i want. But my BlackBerry is my buddy
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-28-12 10:25 PM
    I love my playbook. I bought my wife one, both 64 gb, so affordable. They work great and sideload apps open the device way beyond useful. The promise of 2.1 full non beta, providing sideload works and multiple android apps can function I still maintain this is a great device. I've talked it up to everyone as it was the best deal on the market. Not so sure that this will hold true in the future.

What doesn't Rim realize about this device and why isn't this the flagship product during the delay in releasing bb.........13?

My disappointment with Rim is they don't believe in the playbook like I do. I believe they should sell off this device's potential to someone with some vision and faith as they continually fail to promote this wonderful product for the apparent pipe dream of some cell phone future that I frankly could care less about.

How about playbook 10?

Am i that stupid or does anyone at Rim use one of these things?

Matter of time before we all rant on this site, i guess, but come on ffs! Promote this device not some maybe next year maybe the year after phone. I truly thought this unit could be the future and this I have in my hand..

Rim promote this thing!
    polytope and AugustArborists like this.
    06-28-12 10:26 PM
    I curse myself for buying a Playbook. RIM could have waited for some months, fasten up progress and then delayed it.
    Honestly now i don't even expect RIM to survive this year. BB10 can goto .
    06-28-12 10:31 PM
    @Cynycl• I totally agree with what your saying about promoting/marketing the PlayBook• but thats about all I agree with• RIM definitely didn't give up on the PlayBook• BlackBerry is constantly working with developers & expanding the app library• the PlayBook definitely should've been more complete @ launch, but whatever that's in the past• The update to 2.0 was pretty huge• atleast to me it was, it brought the PlayBook way more up to speed & caught it up to where it should've been when it launched• I'm with you, I love my PlayBooks, I also have 2• sometimes I loan it to my Mom, my Daughters Mom, or other friends & family to video chat• it would be great if they all had their own but that goes back to promotion/marketing because if it was marketed better they most likely would have bought one instead of buying something else
    06-28-12 10:53 PM
    I just wish for skype, so we can rock our hd front facing camera.

I am also disappointed on every news article bashing RIM, oh well it's their job, i just hope for RIM to survive and succeed so these writers can move on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 11:00 PM
    BTW.. Everyone writting RIM off does realize they still have no debt.. Still make a profit.. & still got a pretty decent amount of money in the bank(a couple billion).. RIM is known for delays.. I honestly believed Thorsten was gonna change that but guess not.. It sucks.. But in reality i do love my BlackBerry (phones & tablets) im not jus sayin that.. I could easily get any phone i want. But my BlackBerry is my buddy
    RIM still make a profit? Come again later.
    06-28-12 11:30 PM
    His exact words

"We have shipped approximately 260,000 PlayBooks and have sold out of the 16-gig model. We continue to sell the 32- and 64-gigabyte models. And new LTE PlayBooks are in the final stages of testing with certain carrier partners, and we expect to launch these in the near future."
    06-29-12 12:34 AM
    The fact that RIM doesn't have debt and lots of cash, for me, indicates that they don't know what to do with their money nor they have something in the pipeline that's waiting to be launched. Let's face it, they didn't make profit, yet their cash keep increasing

I just hope that it's not part of the plan to keep their Balance Sheet healthy for potential investors to acquire.
    06-29-12 12:41 AM
    Heins said today that RIM is now sold out of the
    16GB PlayBooks, which it plans to discontinue. Right now, the firm is prepping a 4G LTE version of the tablet, which "is in the final stages of testing" and will launch "in the near future," he said.

LOL! Seems like that's what they have been saying for the last few devices that were delayed over and over again. I have been a defender of the company and their products for years but at some point I have to draw the line and say enough is enough - This company is full of sh*t and as much as I hate to switch to either my idevices or a new Android device I will have to do it because I'm not going to stand by waiting for this company. In fact, I now have my doubts if they can even stay in business long enough to have a chance at releasing BB10 and if and when they do they will be facing even stiffer competition. - The writing is on the wall folks!
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-29-12 12:49 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD