Hi,

I'm trying to assess whether my battery is draining fast or not. The problem is I never really get to use my PB for long periods theses days. Typically, I'll grab my tablet fully charged, I turn off wi-fi and bluetooth and will read pdf's for about 25 minutes. My battery will then go down to between 87% and 90%, which seems like a lot:
    -10% in 25 minutes, if I extrapolate, that gives me a total of roughly 4 hours of use only reading pdf's.

What do you think ?
    Is there a way to make a better test without actually using the tablet for hours?

Thanks for any input.
    03-15-13 09:22 PM
    The Battery Guru app will show exactly how much power you're using. The author laid out some parameters to do a drain test and compare to others. The app will allow you to leave to screen on and see how long the battery last. From memory the battery should last about 9 hours with brightness on min, auto dim off and airplane mode.

My PB seems to drop from 100 down to 90-85 fairly fast but slows down after that. I wouldn't trust the percentage to be an exact measurement. If your screen brightness is all the way up, turn it down and compare.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-15-13 09:49 PM
    as Chaddface noted, turning the backlight down can make a pretty sizable difference in battery life.
    03-15-13 11:57 PM
    I'll give you a few tips. Try to reduce the brightness as someone else said. Then, pay attention to your charging habits. Personally, I had unusual drops about 6 months ago and when I adopted the habit of keeping the battery from going below 10% and over 95%, it's like the battery improved. To this day, since September 28 th 2011, the battery is fantastic.

Also, try the hard reset, power button plus - and + volume.

I had the same problem 2 days into my Z10. 80 to 40 % doing nearly NOTHING. I removed the battery and reinserted it and it was excellent since, now the last charge lasted me 2 days.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-16-13 06:14 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

Brightness is definitely not the problem : I usually keep it way down.
    As for charging habits, I never use it long enough in one day that it goes very low. But I usually charge it back to 100% every evening...

How do you use battery guru for a drain test ?

In the meanwhile, I'll try a hard reset and see if it does anything for me.
    03-16-13 07:21 AM
    Drain test here at post 14
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post6931987

It could be your charging habits throwing the reading off a bit if you always keep it at 80%or above. I would first let it run down to 5% and charge it until you see the plug icon over the battery. Do that 2-3 times and see if improves. Its likely there is nothing wrong.

If you have the app or are going to get it, keep in mind the readings update ever two minutes off the charger. So give it 5 minutes or so before looking again.
    03-16-13 08:26 AM
    Thanks, I'll try a test later.

I also wondered if either the meter could be off, or if measuring from only the first 10% was giving me an accurate assessment, as you suggested in your first answer.
    The other thing I was wondering concerns sideloaded android apps that load themselves up in background. I posted another thread about that : It seems at least one app, Kingsoft Office, keeps doing that... But I don't know how much battery that eats up.
    03-16-13 08:37 AM
    It seems at least one app, Kingsoft Office, keeps doing that... But I don't know how much battery that eats up.
    With Guru running in stay awake, airplane mode, screen brightness all way down and auto dim off, I use 1.78W.
    You can try the same settings and see if the number is similar. If you're using more then you could start looking for apps running in the background. I did a reboot right before I checked that number so it should be accurate for a normally functioning PlayBook. Maybe someone else could check to make sure their numbers are similar to mine.
    03-16-13 09:50 AM
    it's been known that some sideloaded apps run in the background, even after being closed,,, any new toys loaded lately???
    03-16-13 12:18 PM
    I haven't sideloaded many apps since the last time that I reinstalled the os. I believe only Kingsoft Office and AVG (the last one precisely for its app killer function).

When I started monitoring whether apps were running in the background, I noticed that both Kingsoft and the CB Forums app were, and quite constantly. I've since uninstalled CB Forums, but Kingsoft keeps loading itself up; beats me why. It seems maybe that is some bug related to sideloading ?...

Attached is a printscreen of what shows up on the AVG app whenever I look at what's running (in French). They all are related to Android...
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life: Is this normal?-img_00000037.jpg  
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-16-13 08:06 PM
    there's a reason android/google is notorious for data mining,,, ever wonder how in the he!! those ads get so accurate???

p.s. there's an article posted around here that mentions 58-66% of andriod apps contain some type of spyware/malware,,, run Forrest, RUN!!!
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 03-17-13 at 05:49 AM.
    03-17-13 05:30 AM
    Do you mean to say Kingsoft could be infected ?
    03-17-13 07:05 PM
    Just an update to this issue. (I still never use my PB for long stretches, so I haven't really tested the thing properly though...)

I decided to uninstall Kingsoft Office after all, and my battery life has improved : Instead of going down to 87%-90% in 20-25 min, in the same time it will now drop to only 92%-95%. (That is when I'm only reading with the PDF Reader app.)

Before uninstalling Kingsoft, I would always check periodically to see what apps were running in the background, using AVG's app killer function. Kingsoft was almost always there and seemed to fire up other services along with it. The attached screen shows one of the worst instances. -I hadn't used any of the opened apps/services at all: They all opened themselves up in the background for some reason.
    Ever since uninstalling Kingsoft, I will typically only find two of those services to be running : Android system and Status bar.

So, for those who experience unusual battery drainage, if you've sideloaded android apps, that maybe something to investigate...
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life: Is this normal?-img_00000047.jpg  
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 05-11-13 at 01:04 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-11-13 12:26 PM