Some A things and the Ithing also have very bright displays and nevertheless generally work longer than the Playbook. I also doubt that you can get 10 hours out of the Playbook. I have mine at the minimum and max I have gotten so far is about 8 hrs. That's with moderate use (no HD videos, no gaming). My battery is relatively new with the health at 94%.
    The tablet spec comparison i've read show the pb having either the brightest or second brightest on the market today. thats why the pb perform so well in full sun. As for 10 hrs it really depend on what you are doing. Web surfing only uses 1.5 w/ hr and the pb have 17-20 w capacity. So 10 hr should be no problem. i belief the test done by various reviews peg the pb at 7.xx playing hd movies at half brightness.
    kennyliu and allsportsfan like this.
    01-31-12 12:14 AM
    Some A things and the Ithing also have very bright displays ...
    Here are two sets of screen brightness tests:

CNet tests:
    | Speed tests: iPad 2 vs. PlayBook vs. Xoom | Crave - CNET

Max brightness: PlayBook=610, iPad2=432, Xoom=312 (cd/m2)
    Default brightness: PB=510, iPad2=176, Xoom=131 (cd/m2)

Anandtech:
    | AnandTech - The BlackBerry PlayBook Review

Max white: PlayBook=645, iPad2=380, iPad=374, Xoom=357 (nits)

These tests date back to the PlayBook's release. Are there much brighter Android tablets now that can be used in direct sunlight, like the PB?
    01-31-12 02:45 AM
    Recently my lamp on my work desk has burnt out and I still haven't picked up a replacement bulb. So I had to improvise.

I download the "One Touch Flashlight" app from appworld.
    I set up my display on the playbook to FULL brightness and the Automatic Dim Light to Off.
    I have a case for my playbook, so know I just prop the little sucker up and BAM i have myself a lamp.

The battery last for exactly 3 hours and 14 minutes !!!
    allsportsfan likes this.
    01-31-12 02:56 AM
    Here are two sets of screen brightness tests:

CNet tests:
    | Speed tests: iPad 2 vs. PlayBook vs. Xoom | Crave - CNET

Max brightness: PlayBook=610, iPad2=432, Xoom=312 (cd/m2)
    Default brightness: PB=510, iPad2=176, Xoom=131 (cd/m2)

Anandtech:
    | AnandTech - The BlackBerry PlayBook Review

Max white: PlayBook=645, iPad2=380, iPad=374, Xoom=357 (nits)

These tests date back to the PlayBook's release. Are there much brighter Android tablets now that can be used in direct sunlight, like the PB?
    Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. The only one that gets close to the PB in terms of brightness is the Prime with 570 cd/m2, which, if you consider the area of the screen that is twice as much as that of the Playbook, should give you about twice the energy requirement. And we know that the Prime is rated at 12 hours vs. 8-10 hours rated for the Playbook.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-31-12 at 03:10 AM.
    01-31-12 03:08 AM
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked it up. In my previous post, the unit of "nits" is just an unofficial synonym for "cd/m2." So the CNet max and the AnandTech measurements are in the same units -- their relative brightness measurements look similar, so the variation may largely be due to a little calibration problem.

Another test also found PB brightness > 500 cd/m2, in French here:
    | RIM BlackBerry Playbook
    This test also measured color fidelity, something I've not seen in any English-language review. It found the PB to have average Delta_E of 4. At the time of this test (May 2011), this was the best these testers had seen for any tablet, with second place going to the iPad for which Delta_E = 5.2. Low Delta_E is better. Delta_E between 1 & 3 corresponds to high color fidelity, with color differences difficult to perceive with the human eye.

Well, that was a bit off subject, but it is one indication of the attention RIM gave to the PB hardware.
    01-31-12 09:08 AM
    The tablet spec comparison i've read show the pb having either the brightest or second brightest on the market today. thats why the pb perform so well in full sun. As for 10 hrs it really depend on what you are doing. Web surfing only uses 1.5 w/ hr and the pb have 17-20 w capacity. So 10 hr should be no problem. i belief the test done by various reviews peg the pb at 7.xx playing hd movies at half brightness.
    Here is some info on the Playbook's power consumption from our Guru Peter.

PlayBook: Power Consumption

Web surfing may use 1.5 w/hr but that's just browsing. There is also power consumption by the screen (even at 0% brightness) and all background services.

So 10 hours while browsing is hardly achievable.
    02-01-12 10:00 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD