My wife gave me her 16g over a year ago - I was never impressed with the battery drain (both in standby and in use) . It would go down 10 - 20% overnight . Reading what others had to say I considered it normal .

Approx 2 months ago I acquired a new 32gb pb - the battery drain doesn't even come close to the 16g - in standby the drain is 2-3 % ( overnight) , surfing for 2 hours it goes down 10-15 % .

Is this due to the fact that its a new playbook or did rim change the batteries somewhere along the way . I am seeing more and more posts regarding battery issues - I guess this is to be expected as ppls pbs age . I charge my pb everynight and sometimes during the day - what would be the average life expectancy of the battery ? How many charge cycles ?

Would anyone happen to know ? Thanks.
    03-27-13 10:40 PM
    I've noticed much better battery life on the newer OSes, could that be it?
    Also, not having any android apps installed seems to help.
    03-27-13 11:50 PM
    Both pbs running latest os + a few android apps . I just did a security wipe on the older tablet , worked on it for 15 minutes and it down 10% .Must be age.
    03-28-13 12:11 AM
    My $ is on age and overall usage. My battery drains faster than it did new as well. But I've had it nearly 2 years and a total of 351 charge cycles, so I kinda expect it at this point.

Unusual fast drops in charge too when near a full charge. As you can see in these 2 screen shots taken 5 minutes apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life expectancy-img_00000112.jpg   Battery life expectancy-img_00000113.jpg  
    03-28-13 12:23 AM
    We now have 5 PBs at home of varied ages and not one of them has had more than a 2% drain average overnight in standby, some less. My original PB was bought in Sept 2011, has 349 charge cycles,running BatteryGuru to monitor the battery and it's average is less than 2%. FWIW I have no side loaded apps and BatteryGuru helps insure nothing is trying to run in the background. Try monitoring your PB for several days with BG to help isolate what's going on because that is too much drainage.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-28-13 12:34 AM
    Bought in April 2011 and I have 464 charges. The battery drain doesn't seem any different then my wife's PB that is about 6 months newer with 127 charges.
    03-28-13 12:40 AM
    We now have 5 PBs at home of varied ages and not one of them has had more than a 2% drain average overnight in standby, some less. My original PB was bought in Sept 2011, has 349 charge cycles,running BatteryGuru to monitor the battery and it's average is less than 2%. FWIW I have no side loaded apps and BatteryGuru helps insure nothing is trying to run in the background. Try monitoring your PB for several days with BG to help isolate what's going on because that is too much drainage.
    Good advice
    And to the OP, that is the app I'm using in my screen shots. It really is a useful app and I for 1 recommend it.
    (or I suppose I should say for 2)
    gdg521 likes this.
    03-28-13 12:41 AM
    I have to agree that you are seeing too much drain, I have a 32G PB that I bought at release, I use it often and I can leave it for 3 or more days on standby with battery left to use. Actually as I type this my PB has been on standby unplugged for 3 days and still has almost 50% left.

CB10 App, Z10
    03-28-13 12:46 AM
    My wife gave me her 16g over a year ago - I was never impressed with the battery drain (both in standby and in use) . It would go down 10 - 20% overnight . Reading what others had to say I considered it normal .

Approx 2 months ago I acquired a new 32gb pb - the battery drain doesn't even come close to the 16g - in standby the drain is 2-3 % ( overnight) , surfing for 2 hours it goes down 10-15 % .

Is this due to the fact that its a new playbook or did rim change the batteries somewhere along the way . I am seeing more and more posts regarding battery issues - I guess this is to be expected as ppls pbs age . I charge my pb everynight and sometimes during the day - what would be the average life expectancy of the battery ? How many charge cycles ?

Would anyone happen to know ? Thanks.
    Lithium polymer battery performance and durability depends on several factors including the particular battery manufacture details and your individual battery build. Battery University reported a study (URL below) which would indicate that higher temperatures, deeper discharge and maintaining battery at full charge were stressful and led to more rapid battery capacity loss. The detailed data are only applicable to the particular group of batteries in a laboratory setting. From the reports here it would look like the Playbook batteries (there are two) should last for more than 1000 cycles with reasonable care.

The question of excessive drain during operation is often related to something is running often an Android app or something you have set to update like Facebook or email. If you go in standby in airplane mode you would be using 0. 05 watts. So in 24 hours you would get a 6% or so drain. Get Battery Guru and Advanced App Manager from BB World.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-28-13 at 03:04 AM.
    fryk and StanWiz like this.
    03-28-13 02:47 AM
    I have Battery Guru and Advanced App Manager.
    I am facing problems with battery drainage as well even in stand by mode.
    I have been facing this problem since the last OS upgrade.

Advanced App Manager shows that my battery usage is because of the display and Wifi. However my wifi is turned off!!!
    Can you explain why is that?
    03-31-13 07:24 PM
    I have Battery Guru and Advanced App Manager.
    I am facing problems with battery drainage as well even in stand by mode.
    I have been facing this problem since the last OS upgrade.

Advanced App Manager shows that my battery usage is because of the display and Wifi. However my wifi is turned off!!!
    Can you explain why is that?
    No? But it would be coincidental if it were due to sudden defect in your battery. When you go into airplane mode with Battery Guru running and standby and then after a couple of. minutes take it out of standby what does BG show? How bad is the drainage?
    03-31-13 08:48 PM
    It Keep waking up every 1 minutes... It looses about 5-9 % per hour...
    Shall I do security wipe to my playbook to get rid of that issue?
    04-03-13 06:40 PM
    Use ghost commander to check what android apps are running in the background, in ghost commander go to applications, wait for the list of applications to show, select one and then select manage, if you see the button force close highlighted in orange that means the android app is running in the background, select force close, go back and select manage again to see if the force close button is again highlighted or not, check this a few times and repeat all this process with all the android apps. I had problems with my battery life too and with this method I realized that the app kingsoft office, avg antivirus and some android games kept running in the background even when I force them to close in ghost commander so I delete them and my battery life is great now.
    rozearo likes this.
    04-03-13 09:41 PM
    I read somewhere that turning wi-fi off and making sure that all apps are closed before putting the PB on standby should slow down battery drain. Maybe users should follow a protocol before switching to standby. Try this.
    04-04-13 12:13 PM
    Use ghost commander to check what android apps are running in the background, in ghost commander go to applications, wait for the list of applications to show, select one and then select manage, if you see the button force close highlighted in orange that means the android app is running in the background, select force close, go back and select manage again to see if the force close button is again highlighted or not, check this a few times and repeat all this process with all the android apps. I had problems with my battery life too and with this method I realized that the app kingsoft office, avg antivirus and some android games kept running in the background even when I force them to close in ghost commander so I delete them and my battery life is great now.
    The application with highlighted force close are:
    Android system
    Blackberry keyboard
    calendar storage
    Clock
    Download manager
    Email
    Launcher
    Setting
    Status Bar

Do you think I shall force close all of these apps?
    04-04-13 12:16 PM
    The application with highlighted force close are:
    Android system
    Blackberry keyboard
    calendar storage
    Clock
    Download manager
    Email
    Launcher
    Setting
    Status Bar

Do you think I shall force close all of these apps?
    I haven't used Ghost Commander for finding running apps. I do use Advanced App Manager for this purpose and think it would be a good deal faster and easier to use for this purpose for finding running Android apps than GC which is an excellent file manager.

The apps you list above all look like running system services, except possibly email, than Android apps. Perhaps they were launched with the Android manager. Would not think you should close any of these apps other than possibly Android Manager which would be like Ghost Commander, which is an Android app, committing suicide. Might somehow find a glitch in the system and cause difficulties. Would think the hard reset would be better.

Since Advanced App Manager did not find the cause of your device waking up in standby in airplane mode it appears that some app might have been set up to check for input periodically and in so doing is set to wake up the tablet. Does it also turn on the WiFi? Such apps might include calendars, social sites, emails. Suggest when it wakes up installing a known Android app to see whether the system has to load the emulator or if it is already there. You can also go to the gear and check available RAM to see whether some big program has been installed.
    Last edited by jpash549; 04-04-13 at 05:15 PM.
    04-04-13 04:44 PM
    I did security wipe and then installed Battery Guru and setup my hotmail.
    No other application has been installed. Still the playbook is keep awaking!

I think that the problem is due to the last OS system as i have been facing it since my last upgrade!
    Or it could be a hardware fault?
    Any one have an idea if RIM can solve this problem???
    04-04-13 08:14 PM
    Shouldn't hurt to give them a call. Could check your hotmail settings or delete it and see if that helps. Before you call them I suggest you delete hot mail and other such accounts of course keeping track of passwords and addresses by writing them down, do the wipe again, install ONLY Battery Guru and do your tests again. This will reassure you and them that you are operating on as clean a playing field as possible and may let them help you with the testing.
    04-04-13 11:15 PM
    Found the solution finally after 2 months :

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post8363354
    04-23-13 04:48 AM