Seeing as battery life, and the pros and cons of occasional full-discharging and whether keeping topped up is a good idea etc etc etc is a perennial topic on here, I thought I'd share this article I just came across:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

It is written for Lithium Ion batteries, and the PlayBook has a Lithium Polymer battery, but as far as I understand it, these technologies are fairly similar, and the information in the article should apply to both.

There is some interesting stuff there. What caught my attention is that if you keep the battery topped up as much as possible, and try to let it discharge as little as possible, you can make a huge impact on the life of the battery (eg never letting it discharge below 50% gives you 3 time as many recharge cycles as if you always let it run to empty)

BUT keeping it at full charge is also bad for the battery, so I guess you need to balance the two... Tell you what, I'll shut-up - It's probably best if you read the article, and draw your own conclusions!!

(If anyone know catagorically that I am wrong, let me know, and I'll take the post away)

EDIT: Regards Wongsky - see below - I forgot to mention that copious quantities of brandy can help increace the life of the battery.
    And I'm just looking for a picture of a kitten being plugged into the mains...

Cheers,

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 04-19-13 at 10:33 AM.
    dphjeff, sad_old_man and joe_23 like this.
    04-19-13 10:20 AM
    Your post doesn't have the requisite amount of talk of:-

a) booze
    b) thanks and likes given
    c) image attachments

I can see you've a lot to learn, better get that corrected, before your thread get's spammed to battery hell and back.
    04-19-13 10:27 AM
    Seeing as battery life, and the pros and cons of occasional full-discharging and whether keeping topped up is a good idea etc etc etc is a perennial topic on here, I thought I'd share this article I just came across:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

It is written for Lithium Ion batteries, and the PlayBook has a Lithium Polymer battery, but as far as I understand it, these technologies are fairly similar, and the information in the article should apply to both.

There is some interesting stuff there. What caught my attention is that if you keep the battery topped up as much as possible, and try to let it discharge as little as possible, you can make a huge impact on the life of the battery (eg never letting it discharge below 50% gives you 3 time as many recharge cycles as if you always let it run to empty)

BUT keeping it at full charge is also bad for the battery, so I guess you need to balance the two... Tell you what, I'll shut-up - It's probably best if you read the article, and draw your own conclusions!!

(If anyone know catagorically that I am wrong, let me know, and I'll take the post away)

EDIT: Regards Wongsky - see below - I forgot to mention that copious quantities of brandy can help increace the life of the battery.

Cheers,

Chris.
    Ok you pesky feline thingy you. Ignoring the dweebs comment, when I found that photo in your sock drawer I also found a photo of you at work!

ps the second photo is of your ultimate demise. Sorry but I did have to practice on your closest friends to get the photo correct! Tough!
    Attached Thumbnails Battery :Life and charging and stuff.-imcattttttages.jpg   Battery :Life and charging and stuff.-imcatfoodages.jpg  
    04-19-13 10:56 AM
    See?

Ask and you shall receive.

Google's search engine and images took a brief battering (see what I did there) as a result of your enquiry, though - so I hope you're feeling suitably guilty.

I hope you've learned your lesson - shame on you for lowering the tone, it's about subtle inneundo, page rankings, and how things will look to search engines.
    04-19-13 11:09 AM
    Seeing as battery life, and the pros and cons of occasional full-discharging and whether keeping topped up is a good idea etc etc etc is a perennial topic on here, I thought I'd share this article I just came across:<br />
    <br />
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University<br />
    <br />
    It is written for Lithium Ion batteries, and the PlayBook has a Lithium Polymer battery, but as far as I understand it, these technologies are fairly similar, and the information in the article should apply to both.<br />
    <br />
    There is some interesting stuff there. What caught my attention is that if you keep the battery topped up as much as possible, and try to let it discharge as little as possible, you can make a huge impact on the life of the battery (eg never letting it discharge below 50% gives you 3 time as many recharge cycles as if you always let it run to empty)<br />
    <br />
    BUT keeping it at full charge is also bad for the battery, so I guess you need to balance the two... Tell you what, I'll shut-up - It's probably best if you read the article, and draw your own conclusions!!<br />
    <br />
    (If anyone know catagorically that I am wrong, let me know, and I'll take the post away)<br />
    <br />
    EDIT: Regards Wongsky - see below - I forgot to mention that copious quantities of brandy can help increace the life of the battery.<br />
    And I'm just looking for a picture of a kitten being plugged into the mains...<br />
    <br />
    Cheers,<br />
    <br />
    Chris.
    Agree that this is an interesting article and a great source for battery information and I have cited it in previous posts. Would like to point out that the test population is LiPoly pouch cell phone batteries. The general chemistry is supposedly similar to that of the Playbook battery and therefore trends taken from the data can be applied in general terms. That is : 1) Deep draw down to a few percent of capacity has a tendency to hurt battery life, i.e. battery health, 2) Keeping topped up to maximum charge has a deleterious effect on battery health and 3) Operation and storage at higher temperature particularly over 40 degrees C will have a bad effect on battery health.

Battery health is defined as the ratio of watt-hrs stored at full charge to that specified for the battery by the manufacture. The latter number is thought to be generally a little on the high side as compared to the production run batteries.

Definition of what constitutes a cycle is vague. In the experimental report cited it appears that actual cycles are being reported. That is if you start at 100% and drain to 50% then recharge to 100% that is one cycle. If with a second test battery you went from 100% to 0% and back that is also one cycle. But if both batteries were at the same health you would get twice the use time for the second battery cycle as you would for the first battery. We are really interested more in the hours of use we get than the number of times on and off the charger. Thus interpreting the data given in the report has it's problems. If you got three times as many cycles in the first case as in the second you might expect something like 50% more hours of use but this this value is not corrected for the health values of the two test units at each point in the cycle train.

The end advice to me is enjoy your device and use it as you will. But don't keep it on the charger all of the time because you think that that helps the battery but stick it on the charger when it gets low if convenient. If it shuts down because of low voltage get it on charger as soon as possible. If you have it in your car don't put it on the dashboard in the sun. Also if you have to leave it in a bag for several hours or in your car which is parked outside your work turn it off altogether. And remember per cent charge and battery health reported by the Playbook are only estimates. Battery voltage and watts are the important numbers.

The Playbook circuits and software are designed to protect the device and prevent overcharging and discharging below the point of ability to recharge. See manual and Knowledge Base Article KB-27705.
    WrightWords likes this.
    04-19-13 02:32 PM