I had my Playbook charged yesterday and turned it off for the night when it still had 87% of battery remaining. Wanted to turn it on earlier today, but it wouldn't power on. The three button reset didn't work. I finally plugged it in to the AC and it powered on, but the battery now shows 0%. It has been stuck at 0% for the last 45 minutes. Battery Guru shows the following:

Battery voltage: 3.30 V
    Battery health: 92%
    Recharge count: 9
    Charge: 6:03 W

I don't know if it matters, but I am on the beta OS 2.0.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-01-11 at 02:37 AM.
    11-01-11 01:01 AM
    i have recently had the same problem. i have become accustomed to turning off the pb to ensure the bb stays bridged but isnt drained - this due to constantly havimg to reinitialize the bridge when i first got the pb .

in any event the screen stays on even though it is black. if you turn off the lights you cam see it is drawing power. holding the power dowm for a few secomds seems to be tue fix.
    peter9477, ferganer and Biulet like this.
    11-01-11 02:09 AM
    i have recently had the same problem. i have become accustomed to turning off the pb to ensure the bb stays bridged but isnt drained - this due to constantly havimg to reinitialize the bridge when i first got the pb .

in any event the screen stays on even though it is black. if you turn off the lights you cam see it is drawing power. holding the power dowm for a few secomds seems to be tue fix.
    thanks for your response. but do you know what's causing this problem? I had never had it before.

also, i don't think it's just the screen that's eating the power. the playbook finally got to 24% charge after being plugged in for almost 4 hours.

but what really concerns me is the current battery use (as reported by Battery Guru). it stayed at 6-7.5 W for the last 4 hours. before, it would stay within the range of 0 to about 3 W. it's definitely some huge process that is draining the battery like crazy.

at this point, i really don't know if it's a hardware issue or software.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-01-11 at 02:35 AM.
    11-01-11 02:29 AM
    thanks for your response. but do you know what's causing this problem? I had never had it before.

also, i don't think it's just the screen that's eating the power. the playbook finally got to 24% charge after being plugged in for almost 4 hours.

but what really concerns me is the current battery use (as reported by Battery Guru). it stayed at 6-7.5 W for the last 4 hours. before, it would stay within the range of 0 to about 3 W. it's definitely some huge process that is draining the battery like crazy.

at this point, i really don't know if it's a hardware issue or software.
    it seems u might have had some apps running in the background. i leave my PB on all the time, but i make sure that all apps are closed, except battery guru, and i put it on standby.
    i suggest u export ur battery guru file and then email it to support. Peter here at the forums is very helpful and will look into ur files and let u know if there is some problem with ur battery.

Good luck .
    ferganer likes this.
    11-01-11 05:34 AM

Same problem here, same answer... I looked at the screen and it wasn't completely switched off so had to force it holding the power button.

I have the 2.0 OS and tought this will be the cause (some software issue) but now I see there is more people like me.

Is there any way to know which apps are running background and turn them off like holding the menu button on the BB Smartphone?

Thanks!
    peter9477 and ferganer like this.
    11-01-11 05:53 AM
    I had my Playbook charged yesterday and turned it off for the night when it still had 87% of battery remaining. Wanted to turn it on earlier today, but it wouldn't power on. The three button reset didn't work. I finally plugged it in to the AC and it powered on, but the battery now shows 0%. It has been stuck at 0% for the last 45 minutes. Battery Guru shows the following:

Battery voltage: 3.30 V
    Battery health: 92%
    Recharge count: 9

I don't know if it matters, but I am on the beta OS 2.0.

Any ideas?
    Did you do the three button reset with the charger plugged in? You didn't say. Not sure it would make a diffference but it's a good idea to do that while you are three buttoning....make sure its the playbook charger of course not a phone charger.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-01-11 at 08:07 AM.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-01-11 08:05 AM
    I would have said the same, about this apparent "sometimes doesn't really turn off" problem with 2.0. I actually saw this on Tuesday night at DevCon, the same day I picked up my DevCon-freebie with 2.0 already installed. I was carrying it around in my pocket (yay 7" form factor!) and at one point noticed it was quite warm but didn't think much of it. A while later I saw the battery had drained quite a bit and the Battery Guru graph showed it had been sucking power like nobody's business.

Fortunately it was at the DevCon party, so it wasn't hard to notice the glow leaking around the edge of the screen from the backlight LEDs, and I did the 4s power button reset to force it off. Or maybe it was the 10s reset... don't recall.

I saw "would have said", however, because ferganer's description of it still using 6-7W is pretty scary and doesn't fit that pattern, as far as I can see.

Getting a PlayBook to use more than 6W is actually pretty tough to do. If it's really using that much all the time, with nothing else running, and especially if it's doing that immediately after a restart (from a real power-off state, not from the "stuck on" state mentioned in this thread), then I think you may have a hardware problem.

One thing I'd definitely do to troubleshoot this is downgrade your unit from 2.0 back to 1.0.7. I don't think we've ever heard of this "stuck on" problem in 1.0.7, and I'm sure we've never heard of a non-broken PlayBook that uses 6W all the time...

Before you do this, please email me the Battery Guru export file, if you would. You can use the support email from App World, or the one you'll find at the bottom of the Battery Guru support web page after you tap on the link in the top-swipe menu.

Also if this turns out to be 2.0, I'm certain RIM would be quite interested in learning about the issue. (I'm in contact with them about several other 2.0 issues so I know they're receptive to this stuff right now.)
    annamarialuann and ferganer like this.
    11-01-11 08:08 AM
    I have found 3 button reset works.be sure to hold down for 30 seconds.
    And. slot charger may not recharge well so use plug in transformer to charge if too discharged.
    Doing this gives me full charges with slot charger.
    Be sure screen goes off fully every time!
    I fully enjoy 2.0 by doing above!
    11-01-11 08:08 AM
    By the way, I'd just like to confirm that when you said it's stuck on 6-7W for the last while, you weren't getting confused about charging versus discharging (or that I wasn't). I know it's probably obvious, but Battery Guru shows the power reading as Charge when it's charging, and Power when it's discharging.

I wouldn't even ask, except for the coincidence that 6-7W is about the Charge power you'd see when the unit is on the regular charger but actually turned on. If it's in standby (and with the screen/backlight really OFF) it shows more like 8W, but I'm now wondering if you maybe were describing some situation with it charging, not discharging.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-01-11 08:12 AM
    By the way, I'd just like to confirm that when you said it's stuck on 6-7W for the last while, you weren't getting confused about charging versus discharging (or that I wasn't). I know it's probably obvious, but Battery Guru shows the power reading as Charge when it's charging, and Power when it's discharging.

I wouldn't even ask, except for the coincidence that 6-7W is about the Charge power you'd see when the unit is on the regular charger but actually turned on. If it's in standby (and with the screen/backlight really OFF) it shows more like 8W, but I'm now wondering if you maybe were describing some situation with it charging, not discharging.
    Thanks to you all.

Peter, I appreciate your clarification above. I apparently didn't know that Battery Guru reports how much the Playbook sucks in while charging. So you were right. the Wattage went down to normal 0-3 W after I unplugged it.

Everything else seems to have gotten back to normal as well, except for the fact that the remaining battery changed from 59% to 62% at one point and then back to 59%.

Here are the stats from Battery Guru:
    remaining: 59%
    voltage: 3.84
    health: 92%
    count:9
    power: 0.07 W

I will email you the CSV at support-bg@engcorp.com right away

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-14-11 at 10:40 PM.
    11-01-11 11:17 AM
    Damn. It happened again. I just turned off Playbook (I used the the on-screen Turn Off button under the battery icon) to see what happens and, as Ommoran, Biulet, and Peter mentioned, the screen went black but the backlight stayed on. The three button reset helped to get it out of that state.

However, when I use the physical power button to turn the playbook off, the screen goes off in about 2-3 seconds. But I am not sure that the physical button is the solution.

Has anyone else experienced the problem?

Do you think it's indeed OS 2.0 related? I hate to have to downgrade. I am really liking the beta OS better than 1.07.
    11-01-11 01:59 PM
    Mine went down to 3.30V, which possibly may mean that the Playbook is no longer protecting the battery from going outside of the range (due to OS 2.0?). Am I getting it right?
    It is a bit concerning (but I think only a bit) that it went this far. I wouldn't think that's low enough to be worried at all about your battery: among other things there's probably a massive margin for error involved here. I'll re-research that aspect, as well, but I think the "danger" voltage for these cells is well below 3.3V.

If it went that low, however, because it was "stuck" on, then I think it may be a much more serious problem than it would otherwise be. The software may actually be attempting to shut things off, but for whatever reason failing to do it. If that means it can get stuck with the backlight on, continuing to use power indefinitely, it could certainly lead to damaged/destroyed batteries.

I strongly suggest you temporarily revert to 1.0.7 and re-test. I'll do some experiments with my 2.0 units here as well to see if it's consistent, or at least fairly repeatable.

I was out all day and haven't checked your CSV files yet, but if they do show the low voltage, I'll definitely report this to RIM as it may need an emergency fix from them before people really do start trashing their batteries, if that's possible.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-01-11 07:15 PM
    ferganer, looking over the CSV files now.

Did the unit possibly power itself off properly, when it got down to a low voltage? You weren't actually running Battery Guru continuously during most of what went on (maybe you had it running when you said Power Off, but then it got terminated by the OS as it normally would have, but before the OS got "stuck").

I can see the "low" voltage, but actually I wonder if 3.288V (the lowest) is within the range of acceptable values as far as the OS is concerned, and maybe it did shut itself off when it got down around that point.

According to my calculations, if you had 92% battery at 4:46am on Oct 31, and the backlight was stuck on at around 40% brightness (but with the screen actually off), and you never touched the thing, it would have taken until 2:00am the next morning for it to drain the battery all the way and shut itself off. Any chance that's what happened?
    ferganer likes this.
    11-01-11 07:42 PM
    It is a bit concerning (but I think only a bit) that it went this far. I wouldn't think that's low enough to be worried at all about your battery: among other things there's probably a massive margin for error involved here. I'll re-research that aspect, as well, but I think the "danger" voltage for these cells is well below 3.3V.
    Thanks a lot, Peter.

The battery health reported is still 92%.

I will downgrade and see if the issue persists.

Also, I tried to contact tech support, and they were absolutely clueless of what's going on. The response was "It's beta OS, and we don't support it". I asked if they can inform the engineers who are working on the OS update about this potential issue but they pretty much said they wouldn't.

How do I contact the beta developer team anyway?
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-14-11 at 10:39 PM.
    11-01-11 09:04 PM
    Did the unit possibly power itself off properly, when it got down to a low voltage?
    I don't think it shut down properly. Since this hadn't happened to me before, I didn't even check whether the backlight turned off.

You weren't actually running Battery Guru continuously during most of what went on (maybe you had it running when you said Power Off, but then it got terminated by the OS as it normally would have, but before the OS got "stuck").
    Is there any way to make Battery Guru run in the background?

I can see the "low" voltage, but actually I wonder if 3.288V (the lowest) is within the range of acceptable values as far as the OS is concerned, and maybe it did shut itself off when it got down around that point.
    Again, I really hope that RIM will look into this bug in OS 2.0.

According to my calculations, if you had 92% battery at 4:46am on Oct 31, and the backlight was stuck on at around 40% brightness (but with the screen actually off), and you never touched the thing, it would have taken until 2:00am the next morning for it to drain the battery all the way and shut itself off. Any chance that's what happened?
    I turned the playbook off on Oct 30th sometimes in the evening and it was until the next evening when I found that something was wrong. As far as I remember, the battery was about 87% when I turned it off and the brightness was about 60%. So I didn't touch the playbook for a good 24-hour period.

Thanks again for your time, Peter.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-14-11 at 10:38 PM.
    11-01-11 09:14 PM
    I'm having the same issues with my playbook. It happened a few times where I'd pickup my playbook a day or two after turning it off and it was dead. So then I researched it today and it looks like the same bug you guys are talking about.
    01-02-12 09:37 PM
    Thanks a lot, Peter.

How do I contact the beta developer team anyway?
    I think you can post it up in the developer zone, in the forums pertaining to the OS 2.0 beta troubleshooting section. I'm pretty sure they would be checking in there for any problems. Hope this helps.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/...ct=index&item=
    01-02-12 09:48 PM
    Is there any way to make Battery Guru run in the background?
    Missed this question until now: there's no way to do that with the current OS, or I'd definitely have implemented it. Until RIM provides a suitable API, no app can run in the background, unfortunately.
    01-03-12 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD