Sorry if this has been covered, search didn't turn up an answer.

I have new 64gb Playbook. I purchased Battery Guru last night, and noticed that, though the battery does charge to 100% (showing 97% health), if I come back after an hour or so the charge has dropped to 99%, while still plugged in.

I unplugged/reconnected the charger and the same thing happened - charged to 100%, dropped to 99% after sometime, whilst constantly connected.

Is this normal? Many thanks.
    04-10-13 06:29 AM
    As the PlayBook contains the circuits which monitor charge rate (so as to not overcharge the lithium-ion battery, or to charge it too fast) what you're probably seeing is this circuit holding back on charge current while (I'm guessing) you're doing something fairly intensive (are you running a stream/music/movie?). I'd be curious to see if it drops any more...does Battery Guru indicate that it's still on a charge? What does it indicate for power used?

You might want to drain the battery down to 0%, and then charge it fully. It's quite possible that the PlayBook needs a battery calibration to reset its range points.
    haroldo_goose likes this.
    04-10-13 06:51 AM
    Thanks for the reply. The drop from 100% to 99% is happening while the Playbook is left alone, on standby, connected to the USB WALL charger.

When the drop to 99% occurs, Battery Guru shows charge as 0.00w. If I unplug then re-plug the charger, the charge begins, goes to 100%, and then to 99% after a while once again. Power usage in standby is showing as hovering very little above 0w.
    Last edited by haroldo_goose; 04-10-13 at 07:54 AM.
    04-10-13 07:22 AM
    Mine, which has been otherwise "happy" does that periodically, too. Actually, both of mine do that on occasion. No idea what might be happening but I don't worry about it. Both are about one year old.
    peter9477 and haroldo_goose like this.
    04-10-13 09:12 AM
    I use the rapid charger all the time including when it is in use. It always stays at 100%. I shut it down before unplugging it and wait for the light to turn green. I do the same when starting it up. Wait for the glow to turn green then start up.

Once a week I discharge it.

Best Wishes
    04-10-13 11:12 AM
    I've seen this a lot lately with the 16 gig. Reboot will fix it but I have been having some other strange battery issues with the 64G lately but that's a different thread lol. No big deal imo op. Just some bug in the OS is my guess.
    04-10-13 07:06 PM
    The battery voltage is the key measurement. Per cent charge is only an estimate. It is normal for a battery to drop a little in voltage after stopping the charging at 100%. It is actually a little better. for long term health not to maintain the voltage at full level of 4.2 volts.
    04-10-13 09:45 PM
    Sorry if this has been covered, search didn't turn up an answer.

I have new 64gb Playbook. I purchased Battery Guru last night, and noticed that, though the battery does charge to 100% (showing 97% health), if I come back after an hour or so the charge has dropped to 99%, while still plugged in.

I unplugged/reconnected the charger and the same thing happened - charged to 100%, dropped to 99% after sometime, whilst constantly connected.

Is this normal? Many thanks.
    My 64Gb Playbook (4 months old) always does this. I assumed it was because once it had fully charged, the charging circuits get switched off, which allows the charge to drop slightly. I would guess if you disconnect it from the charger as soon as it reaches a full charge then you would get your 100% charge (I do)
    04-11-13 04:13 AM
    I get the same thing from time to time. I also get the situation where it stops charging at 99%, never showing 100%.

I don't consider any of these things to be a concern, and I ignore them. You have to understand, the percent remaining value is merely a "fiction", an estimate calculated by the operating system to give you some idea how much juice you've got left. There's no meaningful difference between it reading 100% and 99%, since both effectively mean you have full power remaining. I've even seen 101% on occasion, and I consider that no different... just a side-effect of some of the calculations involved.

BlackBerry could have contrived to make it show 100% artificially (for both 101% and 99%), and I suspect some other platforms do that. It wouldn't actually change how much capacity the battery had though...
    04-17-13 08:23 PM