My office has a guest wi-fi hotspot. Naturally, I Saved the wi-fi hotspot. The wi-fi hotspot requires logging in. I've noticed that if I bring the PlayBook into the office, it will automatically connect, as it should. If I don't take the time to actually log in, the battery drains completely by the end of the day, about nine hours later.

Anyone with similar experiences?
    10-01-12 06:08 PM
    I've had my playbook since day 1 release. I have noticed significant battery power loss over the past few months. Not too happy about it.
    10-01-12 06:39 PM
    I've had my playbook since day 1 release. I have noticed significant battery power loss over the past few months. Not too happy about it.
    Sorry to hear. I've only had my PlayBooks since last September.

On my home wi-fi network, where a log in isn't necessary (due to authentication being done with WPA), the PlayBook only loses about 3-4% battery life per day without usage. I'm seeing a big battery drain at the office where a log in is required. Signal strength isn't an issue, as both wi-fi hotspots register full signal strength (forgot to mention in the original post).
    10-01-12 06:47 PM
    What screen is your setup page on?
    10-01-12 06:58 PM
    My office has a guest wi-fi hotspot. Naturally, I Saved the wi-fi hotspot. The wi-fi hotspot requires logging in. I've noticed that if I bring the PlayBook into the office, it will automatically connect, as it should. If I don't take the time to actually log in, the battery drains completely by the end of the day, about nine hours later.

Anyone with similar experiences?
    Oh, so just by trying to log-on, it drains the battery? Or does it always drain it even if logged in?

If you do log in, how does the battery do if generally idle?
    10-01-12 07:14 PM
    What screen is your setup page on?
    Are you suspecting that if it's on the Wi-Fi page, it's constantly polling in the background even if the PlayBook is displaying the home page?

I've kinda ruled that out since it's in the same state whether I'm at home or at the office. In both circumstances, the PlayBook connects and says it has full signal strength. The only thing I can think of is the log in requirement for the office.
    10-01-12 07:31 PM
    Are you suspecting that if it's on the Wi-Fi page, it's constantly polling in the background even if the PlayBook is displaying the home page?

I've kinda ruled that out since it's in the same state whether I'm at home or at the office. In both circumstances, the PlayBook connects and says it has full signal strength. The only thing I can think of is the log in requirement for the office.
    Yes I was, maybe if you're not signed in it may keep searching. Just a theory. At home you're logged in so it wouldn't be searching.
    10-01-12 07:33 PM
    I would also expect a much higher traffic volume on the office system, even if it is not traffic destined for your device. It still has to receive and look at the packets to make the decision whether to process or not.
    10-01-12 07:35 PM
    Oh, so just by trying to log-on, it drains the battery? Or does it always drain it even if logged in?

If you do log in, how does the battery do if generally idle?
    Not logging on seems to cause the big battery drain... though I should do a more thorough test.

I'll report more. I'm just curious if this has been an issue with anyone else.
    10-01-12 07:36 PM
    When I go to Staples I automatically connect to the wifi but I don't get the internet until I sign the acceptance sheet. Is this what you mean is happening? If you dont use this guest wifi much why not drop it off and put it back on on the occasions you want it. Interesting question. I'll experiment at Staples to see what happens there.
    10-01-12 10:02 PM
    I travel to several customers' facilities that have networks I have to log into each visit and haven't had any battery drain different than my home or office drain, even when I don't log on, which is most of the time. I always monitor with Battery Guru and see nothing the OP describes. We have 8 PBs at work that travel at varies times and So far no complaints with them either. Not sure what the cause would be, new to me. If you have Battery Guru I'd run it during one of these episodes and send in the files to Peter. He'll help you track down the drain.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-01-12 at 11:30 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-01-12 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD