im losing roughly 1% battery power in standby mode with wifi and bluetooth turned off. the only app i leave running is battery guru. it used to be i would only lose 3 or 4% per day in standby. my battery health averages around 95%. i have 55 charges on my playbook. it seems to only have gotten bad recently. in normal use the battery seems to be holding its own. perhaps it was the new update causing this? anyone have any sugestions?
    08-19-12 07:06 PM
    You mention 1% battery loss but don't say the time period. I do lose about 3% overnight leaving both bt and wifi ON. I have NO native email configured at the moment. I removed gmail when I went to canada a few weeks back as I did not want to pay usage/roaming using my phone's data.

OS .668 has been implicated in battery drain. As does having a hotmail email. If you have hotmail, remove it as a test.

If OS .668, you might try using the Debrick method to roll back to the prior OS or sign up for the 2.1 beta and install that.
    08-19-12 07:31 PM
    You mention 1% battery loss but don't say the time period. I do lose about 3% overnight leaving both bt and wifi ON. I have NO native email configured at the moment. I removed gmail when I went to canada a few weeks back as I did not want to pay usage/roaming using my phone's data.

OS .668 has been implicated in battery drain. As does having a hotmail email. If you have hotmail, remove it as a test.

If OS .668, you might try using the Debrick method to roll back to the prior OS or sign up for the 2.1 beta and install that.
    oops...******** me. im losing 1% roughly per hour. i havnt bothered to set up any email on my playbook.
    Last edited by handcrankinit; 08-19-12 at 08:27 PM.
    08-19-12 08:15 PM
    im having the same issue with the .668 update. how do i sign up for the 2.1 beta?.
    08-19-12 08:18 PM
    08-19-12 08:53 PM
    The latest beta I have noticed that I have a lot less battery drain on standby. I had mc2 on, and walked away(read: forgot) and came back 2 hrs later, and I still had battery left. Anyone who has mc2 knows it's a battery hog.
    08-20-12 02:09 AM
    Just remove your Hotmail Account believe me.....
    08-20-12 06:02 AM
    Now I have to investigate. While only BatteryGuru was running last night, mine went from about 60% to 4% and gongs in about 7 hours. I only installed one new item yesterday and I do NOT have any mail setup in Native. No BT overnight as my bbphone turns off. I threw it on the rapid charger and it is charging and I did restart the unit. We shall see.
    08-20-12 09:57 AM
    Did the Battery Guru offer you any help? What did the graph look like? The Nexus7 includes a screen which tells you what is using your battery. I found out from that screen that Tapatalk was a heavy consumer as was Google wallet. Some Android apps are bad about not going to sleep. BB app world has an Android app called Whats Eating Your Battery but it does not seem to work well. Will BB10 give us any help here.
    08-20-12 09:49 PM
    Hotmail has been known to cause excessive battery drainage. I also didn't read anything about doing a HARD RESET. I suggest deleting Hotmail and/or doing a HARD RESET.
    08-20-12 10:21 PM
    Did the Battery Guru offer you any help? What did the graph look like? The Nexus7 includes a screen which tells you what is using your battery. I found out from that screen that Tapatalk was a heavy consumer as was Google wallet. Some Android apps are bad about not going to sleep. BB app world has an Android app called Whats Eating Your Battery but it does not seem to work well. Will BB10 give us any help here.
    Here's when I captured. You can see that pretty steep dropoff at the left side. The sharp recharge is the rapid charger. Normally it has lost just about 3-4 percent overnight. I'm not sure what caused it. I did install an android app from Appworld (that is official, not sideloaded) and that might have been the cause although it was not running, at least, not visibly.
    Last edited by F2; 08-20-12 at 11:06 PM.
    08-20-12 10:51 PM
    I have the 668 update and while my battery seems to use more than usual during use, while in standby, with wifi & BT on, it seems to deplete at a normal rate. I sometimes put it standby when leaving the house while during the day & not taking the PB with me, I do, however, take my BB so despite having BT on it's not communicating with my phone.

Sorry I can't be more help - oh and I do leave Battery Guru running at all times.
    08-20-12 11:29 PM
    I have the same problem. my rapid charger is unreliable because of the connection mechanism (not the magnet system); so when i put my PlayBook on to charge and didnt and i woke up to a dead PlayBook! i found out my PlayBook drains at 7.5% per hour at standby (BT and WiFi on). i guess i will try the hard reset. isn't that where you hold down vol up and down then press power? if that doesnt work i will remove the hotmail account. one thing i found out the other night was there was like 50 copies of my hotmail calendar in the calendar app???? battery drain there? maybe... anyway...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-21-12 12:24 AM
    F2: Your BG graph indicates something continued to run at about 1.3 watts and then for the last half-hour you got a flurry of activity maybe due to incoming wireless info. Those Android apps can be hard to shut down. Not much of a solution sometimes but to reboot. If you check BG a couple of minutes after you go into standby of course you can be more assured that everything has shut down.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 08-21-12 at 01:35 AM.
    08-21-12 01:31 AM
    F2: Your BG graph indicates something continued to run at about 1.3 watts and then for the last half-hour you got a flurry of activity maybe due to incoming wireless info. Those Android apps can be hard to shut down. Not much of a solution sometimes but to reboot. If you check BG a couple of minutes after you go into standby of course you can be more assured that everything has shut down.
    Even before that sudden surge, there was that very steady, steep decline so, yup, something was definitely running. It would be nice if there were a way to see what's "out there?"

Hmmm, could that sudden surge be the warning gongs? I know I had heard one while washing up after waking but thought it was outside the house. A few minutes later I knew what the next gong was. So, there may have been a number of those prior to my finally hearing it. I wonder how much power the noise makes and does it also light the screen?

While this is my other pb's graph, it is what the one above generally shows overnight - very little loss.
    Last edited by F2; 08-21-12 at 10:10 AM.
    08-21-12 10:05 AM
    yup, hotmail screwed it all up for me too. deleted it. added it back again and working fine.
    08-21-12 10:49 AM
    I'd love to be able to add something that actually showed what was running, but at least for now the security model of the OS prevents anything remotely like that, and there are no APIs available to let an app do it even with user permission. Sad...
    08-21-12 12:13 PM
    i can confirm, at least for me, that removing hotmail decreases the rate of standby battery consumption. i went from 7.5% per hour to just a bit over 1% per hour after removing hotmail. why? i have no idea...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 01:09 AM
    Unsure of percentage figures but the Hotmail removal tip really does work. Before removal I would charge my PB at 10am and battery alert could come on as early as 8pm with literally no use.

Removed a few Android apps...no difference. Turned off WiFi sharing....no difference. Turned down lighting...No difference.

Eventually I reluctantly removed my Hotmail. My Playbook was back to its normal battery life. With little use I could charge it as little as every third day.

Can anyone confirm if it is reinstalled it won't happen again? Pretty disappointing if I can't use one of its key functions.
    08-24-12 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD