I no longer use "standby" due to having this exact experience.

The standby timeout feature in the settings, however, doesn't seem to drain the battery.
    01-28-12 08:12 AM
    So you're saying your PB gets about 2 hours of battery time in standby, and probably a whole lot less with use? Is it that way now, and for how long has this been an issue?
    it seems to drain really quickly when used. this device is a week old so i dont have much history with it. the really worrying thing was was when it had 10% left and it drained to zero and shut down in 15minutes in standby. i never had an issue like that with previous PBs.
    01-28-12 10:09 AM
    mhw100, how long have you had this PlayBook? (Or, how many recharges does Battery Guru show that it has on it?)

You don't actually seem to have seen "0%" showing, right? It was showing 10%, then you put it in standby and a short time later it shut itself down, presumably because the battery was depleted?

If it's new (and the 100% health reading suggests it's very new), you should realize that the health reading may change soon to a lower value, like 92% or something. New batteries never really have 100% health, though the OS software may not have enough data to refine that estimate yet.

Many people have had PlayBooks which only go from 100% down to about 8% (give or take a few) and then shut down. That's not because they have bad batteries... it's just because the % value is merely a calculated estimate that the OS makes, and it hasn't calculated it correctly yet.

It may think it was at 10%, but if the voltage was close to 3.4V then it would shut itself off anyway.

If you had Battery Guru running at the time, you could do an Export and zip up the .csv file and email it to me for analysis, or look at it yourself and confirm what I've said. If you weren't running it at the time, maybe leave it running all the time for a while until you've seen some change in the health reading and confirmed that it now goes down closer to 0%.

By the way, having a PlayBook shut off at 10% is exactly the same thing, except in the other direction, as having a PlayBook that shows 0% for an extra hour or so before it finally shuts down. Both are merely an indication that the OS needs to recalibrate things, not a sign of any particular problem.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-28-12 10:23 AM
    So I did three more tests.
    1) All apps off (wifi off) 8:00pm (93%) -> 7:00am (90%) So it lost 3% in 11 hours
    2) All apps off (wifi on) 5:30pm (66%) -> 8:30am (55%) So it lost about 11% in 15 hours)
    3) All apps off (wifi off) 8:30am (55%) -> 8:00pm (52%) So it lost about 3% in about 11.5 hours)
    Along with my previous test where I left modern combat 2 on when I put it to standby
    from 7:00pm (72%) -> 7:30am (51%). Where it lost about 21% in about 12.5 hours

So overall,
    Wifi Off -> 2.7%/10 hours
    Wifi On -> 7.3%/10 hours
    Modern Combat On -> 16.8% / 10 hours

Moral of the day, if you're going to put it to standby, turn off all unnecessary apps, wifi, and bluetooth
    01-28-12 07:24 PM
    mhw100, how long have you had this PlayBook? (Or, how many recharges does Battery Guru show that it has on it?)

You don't actually seem to have seen "0%" showing, right? It was showing 10%, then you put it in standby and a short time later it shut itself down, presumably because the battery was depleted?

If it's new (and the 100% health reading suggests it's very new), you should realize that the health reading may change soon to a lower value, like 92% or something. New batteries never really have 100% health, though the OS software may not have enough data to refine that estimate yet.

Many people have had PlayBooks which only go from 100% down to about 8% (give or take a few) and then shut down. That's not because they have bad batteries... it's just because the % value is merely a calculated estimate that the OS makes, and it hasn't calculated it correctly yet.

It may think it was at 10%, but if the voltage was close to 3.4V then it would shut itself off anyway.

If you had Battery Guru running at the time, you could do an Export and zip up the .csv file and email it to me for analysis, or look at it yourself and confirm what I've said. If you weren't running it at the time, maybe leave it running all the time for a while until you've seen some change in the health reading and confirmed that it now goes down closer to 0%.

By the way, having a PlayBook shut off at 10% is exactly the same thing, except in the other direction, as having a PlayBook that shows 0% for an extra hour or so before it finally shuts down. Both are merely an indication that the OS needs to recalibrate things, not a sign of any particular problem.
    thank you for taking the time to compose such a comprehensive response. I'll run it out and export the file to you.
    01-28-12 09:49 PM
    So I did three more tests.

Wifi Off -> 2.7%/10 hours
    Wifi On -> 7.3%/10 hours
    Modern Combat On -> 16.8% / 10 hours

Moral of the day, if you're going to put it to standby, turn off all unnecessary apps, wifi, and bluetooth
    Nice data! By the way, on my PlayBooks (three in the house), I leave WiFi on all the time, yet get about the same drain as your "WiFi Off" case.

I'm fairly sure the difference is down to something with our local networks and/or WiFi routers. Maybe other devices on the network polling the PlayBook improperly and waking it up all the time.

It's possible some devices are defective. Also possible there are bugs in the current OS which make that happen. All I know is I've never observed the sort of drain you see with WiFi on except in rare cases where something's "stuck", and a restart cures that immediately.

Also glad you said "unnecessary apps": Battery Guru (a "necessary app"! :-) ) is safe to keep running all the time, even in Standby. It has no measurable effect on the battery life, and can help you collect data that may be useful in tracking down the source of the "high standby drain with wifi on" problem.
    01-28-12 10:04 PM
    so sad!...I always use PB with charger.....but my Ipad 2 never drain......can RIM do their job better?
    03-31-12 05:49 PM
    If I leave mine in standby without ariplane mode on it will drain to 0% in less than 8 hours no matter if I have apps running (that I know of)

Yes, all apps have been ran once, accepting all terms etc... this is still the case.

As the PB has no "Task Manager" I cannot figure out which application is causing the issue...
    04-15-12 03:56 PM
    Are you using the "new" native email? If you have it set to Manual, it can burn through the battery. Change the sync to a specific interval and see if that fixes it.
    04-15-12 04:27 PM
    My Playbook was draining completely overnight from over 50% battery. No open programs but Wifi left on. The problem started after I did a full restore after Playbook was returned to fix a screen issue.

Just did what someone earlier in the thread suggested and did a security wipe. Now loses just 1-2% per hour rather than the whole lot. Much better than turning it off and on every time I wanted to use it. Now back to how it was out the box.
    04-16-12 12:30 PM
    Hi, I came here with the same problem, My solution after reading you guys, thanks by the way, was when in stand by turn of BB bridge, wifi and change the configuration of the apps so they will stop when not in the main frame. The drain went from 1% a minute (I know seems exagerated, but not) to 1% an hour.

Sorry my mistakes i don't speak english. Anyway LOVE crackberry.
    08-28-12 11:49 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD