Balsillie is a bit of a tool.

At the AGM, someone just asked about the 60 day release date for email. Jim denied saying it. When the questioner pointed out that he said it in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Jim denied it again. Then he said he must have said 60 to 90 days. Then he said that no one should try to hold someone to something that they said (not exactly but essentially). This is a really weird response because the questioner asked about accountibility: doing what you say you are going to do. Ballsillie's response was essentially that he cannot be held accountable.

No new release date was offered.

Weird thing is that Kevin did not address this question on the live blog.

Poor job overall on this call, IMO. No new news at all.

Thanks to the questioner who tried to find this out for us!
    07-12-11 07:01 PM
    Well, to be honest, he didn't say "You will have email and PIM in 60 days". He actually said something along the line of "I believe the schedule is about 60 days", which is non-committal.
    07-12-11 07:04 PM
    I like the two fellows who had the balls to ask the proper questions. The 2 CEOs were exactly as I thought they would be. Ignorant to the main issues. Never once answering any thing asked.
    valtter likes this.
    07-12-11 07:04 PM
    Its coming... but it is still going to be a while.
    07-12-11 07:06 PM
    i cant believe he denied making the comment at all. Its like they dont have any PR reps to prep them on questions like that. i mean seriously that was bound to come up in some way shape or form.

Overall it seems still they dont quite know the exact direction they are heading in. It appears OS 7 is going to be here for quite a bit longer than expected. Not only on these devices BUT also the next set except for 1 "superphone." Kinda dissappointing but we will see how the market likes it
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-12-11 07:07 PM
    i cant believe he denied making the comment at all. Its like they dont have any PR reps to prep them on questions like that. i mean seriously that was bound to come up in some way shape or form.

Overall it seems still they dont quite know the exact direction they are heading in. It appears OS 7 is going to be here for quite a bit longer than expected. Not only on these devices BUT also the next set except for 1 "superphone." Kinda dissappointing but we will see how the market likes it
    Absolutely. I don't believe QNX handsets will be ready until earliest mid 2012. As much as I want QNX they should at least keep BB7 out for a year before transitioning again.
    07-12-11 07:11 PM

I can believe it. They've been in denial for years now. They're the type of company that will deny something and move on instead of owning up to it and telling the truth.

As for the OS7 stuff I think they're going in the right direction it's just taking too damn long. Think about it this way... every time they're asked about their technology they repeat over and over that their international markets cannot afford nor handle expensive 'superphones' as of yet. The OS7 devices they release this year will be the flagships of the international market for awhile, and the QNX Superphone(s) will be for the North American market as their main focus. I truly hope and believe that the superphones will in fact be 'super', and in terms of technology will be better than anything the competition has on the drawing board.
    07-12-11 07:14 PM
    I refuse to believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. I believed the bridge would be free cause I wanted to believe it. But after that lie and him trying to move my beloved Penguins to Hamilton all the while telling everyone in Pittsburgh the team would stay there. Balsillie is the definition of sleazy business man.
    kevinnugent and K Bear like this.
    07-12-11 07:14 PM

At the AGM, someone just asked about the 60 day release date for email. Jim denied saying it. When the questioner pointed out that he said it in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Jim denied it again. Then he said he must have said 60 to 90 days. Then he said that no one should try to hold someone to something that they said (not exactly but essentially). This is a really weird response because the questioner asked about accountibility: doing what you say you are going to do. Ballsillie's response was essentially that he cannot be held accountable.

Do you have a source for this please? Because the whole 60 day thing got out of hand when Balsillie was misquoted.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-12-11 at 07:21 PM.
    07-12-11 07:19 PM
    Do you have a source for this please? Because the whole 60 day thing got out of hand when Balsillie was misquoted.
    Hopefully a transcript will be available soon.

As far as I know, he was never misquoted. He said what he said. I also don't think it ever got out of hand. The reaction was appropriate. I am sure that you disagree.
    07-12-11 07:22 PM
    Cue the cry babies.

If RIM botched their industry leading position of having the most reliable and secure communications, then you'd really have something to cry about.
    NursingNinja and Jake Storm like this.
    07-12-11 07:24 PM
    source for what? nobody is denying that he said it was scheduled for 60 days other than himself. he answered the question very defensively and pretended he never gave an interview on that date and that he never would have said 60 days, it was pretty embarrassing to be honest.

the question was phrased as such: "in an interview you said the email was scheduled 60 days yet this hasn't happened... would you mind enlightening us on the technical challenges your team is facing that is preventing the email from being released?"
    valtter and bhavi_jp like this.
    07-12-11 07:25 PM
    Hopefully a transcript will be available soon.

As far as I know, he was never misquoted. He said what he said. I also don't think it ever got out of hand. The reaction was appropriate. I am sure that you disagree.
    He said what he said but you can't quote what he said? I find that irresponsible.

He was misquoted because I listened to the interview - he said it was scheduled for 60 days, not promised. Please provide your exact source prior to starting what could end up being a rumor. I am not saying I doubt you, but you need to provide the direct source from the horse's mouth before opening yours.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-12-11 at 07:29 PM.
    Jake Storm and Zizzzzy like this.
    07-12-11 07:27 PM
    I refuse to believe anything that comes out of his mouth anymore. I believed the bridge would be free cause I wanted to believe it. But after that lie and him trying to move my beloved Penguins to Hamilton all the while telling everyone in Pittsburgh the team would stay there. Balsillie is the definition of sleazy business man.
    The bridge is "free" for me and that you'd believe that the Pens were ever going anywhere is telling. Sorry, man, but you have to take a chill pill.
    07-12-11 07:28 PM
    I was extremely disappointed by his response.

I know the 60 days was never a promise, it was never a guarantee, and I'm not upset that it isn't here. I'm upset because he denied saying it. Obviously the 60 day schedule has changed, so give us a new update on it. If there's problems, say so. If you have to delay it, say so. But don't deny it and then BS your way through a question during a shareholder meeting, that's just wrong.

It was a perfectly reasonable question, and instead of giving an update on the situation, he backpedaled like a coward.
    07-12-11 07:30 PM
    I was extremely disappointed by his response.

I know the 60 days was never a promise, it was never a guarantee, and I'm not upset that it isn't here. I'm upset because he denied saying it. Obviously the 60 day schedule has changed, so give us a new update on it. If there's problems, say so. If you have to delay it, say so. But don't deny it and then BS your way through a question during a shareholder meeting, that's just wrong.

It was a perfectly reasonable question, and instead of giving an update on the situation, he backpedaled like a coward.
    I'm still waiting for the source of where he denied saying it before I make any judgement whatsoever.
    07-12-11 07:32 PM
    He said what he said but you can't quote what he said? I find that irresponsible.

He was misquoted because I listened to the interview - he said it was scheduled for 60 days, not promised. Please provide your exact source prior to starting what could end up being a rumor. I am not saying I doubt you, but you need to provide the direct source from the horse's mouth before opening yours.
    You gotta be kidding me. He did say "scheduled." That was never the issue.

Now he is denying he said "60 days" at all. Lots of people heard him say it and I expect that the transcript will show that too. You seem to want to defend him for some reason.
    07-12-11 07:33 PM

How would he have the direct quote? It was a live audio feed... Is that really the only argument you have? I was listening to the Q&A and lawguyman paraphrased it well.

As for the 60 days yes he did say scheduled, which is why the person asking the question said something to the effect of "if it was scheduled for 60 days and is still not released, what are the technical issues holding it back from being released?" It wasn't an attack it was a legit question.
    valtter and bhavi_jp like this.
    07-12-11 07:35 PM
    Cue the cry babies.

If RIM botched their industry leading position of having the most reliable and secure communications, then you'd really have something to cry about.
    Its a valid question. Your post on the other hand is just imature.

The comment was made on video! It could have been used as a key factor in purchasing a Playbook (not mine however). Now his denying it happened? What a tool!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 07:37 PM

RIM’s CEO Talks About PlayBook, Security Concerns - Digits - WSJ
    07-12-11 07:38 PM
    You gotta be kidding me. He did say "scheduled." That was never the issue.

Now he is denying he said "60 days" at all. Lots of people heard him say it and I expect that the transcript will show that too. You seem to want to defend him for some reason.
    I'm simply asking for a source prior to making judgements? Why is that a problem for a lawguy? Why are you extrapolating what I said? It makes me wonder if you are also extrapolating what Basillie said. You seem to want to hang him with no evidence other than hearsay. In your law practice have you heard of innocent until proven guilty?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-12-11 at 07:43 PM.
    07-12-11 07:41 PM
    Here is a link to the 60 day quote.
    RIM’s CEO Talks About PlayBook, Security Concerns - Digits - WSJ
    DX9 and bhavi_jp like this.
    07-12-11 07:42 PM
    I'm simply asking for a source prior to making judgements? Why is that a problem for a lawguy? You seem to want to hang him with no evidence other than hearsay. In your law practice have you heard of innocent until proven guilty?
    The fact that you don't believe it leads me to believe you don't want to believe it, because you know if it's true then your little RIM apologist heart might break.
    07-12-11 07:44 PM
    How would he have the direct quote? It was a live audio feed... Is that really the only argument you have? I was listening to the Q&A and lawguyman paraphrased it well.

As for the 60 days yes he did say scheduled, which is why the person asking the question said something to the effect of "if it was scheduled for 60 days and is still not released, what are the technical issues holding it back from being released?" It wasn't an attack it was a legit question.
    Exactly my point - he said scheduled but everyone swears it was a promise. I am asking where he got the information, I don't want someone's interpretation of it.
    07-12-11 07:45 PM
    Ok, warning you guys now to cut out the personal attacks.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-12-11 07:50 PM
252 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD