Not sure if it was posted here yet, especially being the bearer of bad news since I don't ever post here, but RIM has started watermarking their builds.

In the watermark you have your e-mail address, build information and Playbook PIN. I am sure this will be standard issue for all QNX based builds going forward.

I am sure videos will be a little more scarce, but photo chops will be on the rise, and the question of what exactly was edited out or not.
    12-21-11 01:55 PM
    so confused...
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-21-11 02:08 PM
    Me too. Would someone explain what this means.
    12-21-11 02:09 PM
    Has there ever been a Playbook OS leak, other than the Android Player leak?

In regards to the phone leaks, I was wondering about Rim doing what you described when there was a post a few weeks back about a 7.1.0.115 OS leak coming and the poster never came back to post it.
    12-21-11 02:09 PM
    well, previous BB OS leaks were just carrier test builds. QNX obviously doesn't even have that so... That's 1 confusing part. 2nd, what in the heck does that have to do with scarce videos and photo chops?? :P
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-21-11 02:11 PM
    This post clearly backs up your own statement of "since I don't ever post here"
    Posts should be clear and decisive.
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-21-11 02:16 PM
    Can I have the Cliff Notes version please?
    12-21-11 02:21 PM
    Trying my best to translate... I think OP is saying that RIM started leaving watermarks or "fingerprints" on pre-released software, so when an internal build is released to the wild, they can track down who leaked it.

What it means for us is there will be fewer pre-release leaks going forward, which translates to fewer videos of such leaked software. And I guess he thinks "photo chopped" pictures would be on the rise to fill the void.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-21-11 02:25 PM
    Can I have the Cliff Notes version please?
    Say you have your screen with a nice wallpaper. In the corners it now states e-mail address, build and BB PIN. You can't turn it off, it shows up even via HDMI out.

Cliff Notes : If you are an employee, you will be tracked down, fired and security will work you in the back alley way because now they can figure out who leaked unless you spend a LOT of time editing.

Trying my best to translate... I think OP is saying that RIM started leaving watermarks or "fingerprints" on pre-released software, so when an internal build is released to the wild, they can track down who leaked it.

What it means for us is there will be fewer pre-release leaks going forward, which translates to fewer videos of such leaked software. And I guess he thinks "photo chopped" pictures would be on the rise to fill the void.
    +1

Good for RIM as they will provide more surprises for consumers, and keep the competition guessing. Bad for members on here like me that use it as my source of happiness and fulfillment.
    Last edited by MrFuts; 12-21-11 at 02:30 PM.
    bquinney, Lhendr and teamfoster03 like this.
    12-21-11 02:27 PM
    What's your source MR. bad news?
    12-21-11 02:30 PM
    Thread should be titled RIM takes OS leaks more seriously.....
    12-21-11 02:34 PM
    What's your source MR. bad news?
    I'm from the future I think is a safe answer.

Thread should be titled RIM takes OS leaks more seriously.....
    Very true, I'm not sure if I can edit the title, might need a mod to fix that.
    12-21-11 02:39 PM
    That would be very easy to get rid of given the current state of jailbreaking. And being able to hide that information is also not difficult. This does not seem like a worthwhile way to stop people from screenshotting (is that even a word?) their device.
    12-21-11 02:44 PM
    Oh we are talking about pre-released builds? Not authorized releases? I thought there was bad news.
    Are the phone OS's leaked? I thought they were just versions from different carriers.
    12-21-11 02:46 PM
    Must i consider this as "bad news"?

For me it's great news! Less burned fingers for who plays with fire thus less posts from users with burned fingers.

...I guess...
    12-21-11 03:28 PM
    by leaks I think he means 'images or videos of unrealeased OS, showing new features'.

Apple does it too.

RIM is notorious for not preventing leaks, so when they want to create buzz, the features are already known by everyone.

I guess RIM is learning how to market their products.
    12-21-11 03:32 PM
    On phones, there have been "leaks" of OS's that have not been released by any carrier. Obviously beta versions that somehow get out and folks share them.

With the phones, there are also hybrids where folks mix and match various modules together to make a different (better, faster, slower, more stable, better battery) build.
    12-21-11 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD