07-28-12 12:35 PM
32 12
tools
    I'm after a tablet for browsing, web use, emails etc and Skype.
    From what you want, PB is actually out of the picture as Skype will not be on it until 2013, which is still 6+ months away.
    Depend on how tech savvy you are, I suggest you get something used or refurbished (to deal with minor potential cliches), especially if you seriously are interested in PB (but that 130 is the current discount rate).
    Or wait until W8 and possible mini iPad comes out in next couple months and by that time Nexus 7 problems may be resolved, then you will have many choices.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 07-27-12 at 01:20 PM.
    07-27-12 08:48 AM
    Since I just got a Nexus7 16 at Staples last Friday I hate to see all these posts about faulty hardware. Haven't found anything wrong with mine yet. What should I look for? I find my BBPB nicer to use for email and very good for web browsing. On the Nexus7 you can talk to Chrome and it will convert into text and do the search. BBPB does not have Skype or Netflix. A lot of very good apps in the BB app store. The Nexus7 is lighter than the BBPB by about 80 grams and is nice to hold but don't roll over on it in bed because you are likely to break it. One annoying thing about the Nexus7 is that the home screen only displays in portrait mode. Thus when you are working in landscape mode and want to go to another app through the homescreen you are looking at a sideways display of icons. Not cool. Another thing about Google, they are really pushy and I'm not sure that they are to be trusted to be my big daddy in the clouds. The home screen on the Nexus7 is aimed at book, music and video use. Like Amazon the content sale is the thing. If you got to have Netflix and/or Skype don't buy a PB. Otherwise it is a great little tablet. Of course you can wait until 2013 or 2014 and get a better machine.
    I'm glad yours is problem free, but don't try and tell us that some Nexus 7 owners aren't having some issues. There are a lot of complaints out there and well documented. If you visit any of the Android forums or read the user reviews or better yet just Google
    " Nexus 7 complaint" you will see there is some validity in what the OP has said. Screen problems, loose screens, bad LEDs, charging problems, lagginess etc... it's all there. On XDA-developers.com they have even started a thread dedicated for users to post their problems. Read through a page or two, interesting. I even read posts similar to the OPs, having received two or more dead tablets. The second link is to a news article on the most commonly reported problems so far.

Please Fill Out Your Nexus 7 Complaints Here - xda-developers

The Most Common Complaints About the Google Nexus 7 - Technology - The Atlantic Wire

No tablet is without complaints.
    07-27-12 10:00 AM
    I like the Flash support. A bit miffed about no Skype or Netflix, but have other ways of accessing those tools so all good.
    07-27-12 10:22 AM
    Mr. Rotor Wrench: Didn't mean to imply there were no issues with the new Nexus7. Without attempting to defend it let me rephrase my " hate to see" comment. Replace that sentence with "I am a little worried seeing all the posts and comments about faulty Nexus 7 hardware." Sorry for my unclear phrasing.

I have been following some of the posts in the Mobile Nations Android forum. They mostly are along line of your Atlantic Wire reference. The xda developer ref seems to be concerned with software problems or lack thereof. The op stated two Nexus7s tried were faulty but did not say why. As I said my unit does not appear to have the hardware flaws but I am interested in checking it as closely as possible within the the Staples 14 day return period. Speed seems fine on a good connection.

If this thread is supposed to include alternatives to the BBPB to fill the op's stated needs I see no reason to exclude the Nexus7. But having been twice burned he may.
    07-27-12 01:16 PM
    Just a quick question for you Skype lovers, won't it be a moot point when BB10 comes out with video chat?
    07-27-12 10:22 PM
    I recommend PB if you have a blackberry, just for its continuing growing ties through bridge. And the remote control feature is cool too. This is from a guy who only recently purchased a bold and a PB, so take my advice with that in mind.
    07-27-12 10:37 PM
    Just a quick question for you Skype lovers, won't it be a moot point when BB10 comes out with video chat?
    Not really...

Skype is multiplatform and where it really shines is for folks who wont to reach their families 'back home'. It has a few uses in the business world but most companies prefer to spend the extra money for a stable platform or working throuh Lync.

Video chat will be a fun and useful feature but unless it works on iOS/Unix/Android/Mac/Windows desk + mobile --- it simply wont dent the skype adoption rate. And RIM is not known for building anything multiplatform.

I suspect a new 3rd party vendor might save the day by building a new free video app. I thought about it - because i can build one for all the platforms myself - but i dont have the server bandwidth to really do it riht.
    07-28-12 12:35 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD