I'm after a tablet for browsing, web use, emails etc and Skype.

I have had 2 Nexus 7's, both of which have been faulty so I gave up.

These are recently on offer for �130 at PCWorld and I'm wondering if I should pick one up but with the Nexus 7 already out and the 4G Comming soon, is it a bad idea?

And is Skype for video and audio calls likely to be supported in the future or is it a certain no?

Cheers
    07-26-12 03:11 PM
    Bad idea. Maybe next year.
    07-26-12 03:39 PM
    I have 3 playbooks at home, love to use them and kids love theirs.

no word on skype but some say it will be coming soon since last year

Playbook does what I need so far
    07-26-12 03:47 PM
    Its a troll post!
    07-26-12 04:39 PM
    playbook IMO is the best tablet out there but don't get it expecting Netflix and Skype it might get it but most likely not in the near future go in it for a very solid tablet with awesome software, the playbook seriously has the best multitasking I have ever seen, I would even say it's better then a pc even,well almost.

cheers
    07-26-12 04:39 PM
    Eh I'dsuggest waiting to see for windows 8 and if the ipad mini will pan out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    07-26-12 04:41 PM
    I'd suggest a third Nexus 7 over the PB at this point.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    07-26-12 04:45 PM
    I have several PB's. I recommend it.

It does everything you could want it to, just sometimes you need to know what your doing to make it work perfect . I have an Android 4 tablet, an iPad, HP Touchpad, and many other devices. The PB is the one I use because it does what I need it to.

With that said, some people don't know how to make hteir devices work. And lots of people troll and post in here when they dont actually own or use a PB.

See what it does today, and buy it for what it does today, if it interests you.

Ed.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-26-12 04:53 PM
    No, if you're going to use it for Skype, then wait till the Playbook get skype and then you can get it. But for now, I'm getting sick of my PB due to the lack of apps, since they took down the website for Playbook Android apps. If you take a look at appworld, it's depressing to see the selection for the apps. Oh and I'm not trolling, I've been using it for a year now.
    07-26-12 05:04 PM
    For the price and what you get I think its a deal ! I like my playbook no regrets at all.
    bb624 likes this.
    07-26-12 05:09 PM
    I wouldn't buy anything until at least Windows 8 is out.
    07-26-12 05:13 PM
    if I did what Staples suggested, I wouldn't have had any tablet these past 7 months. They tried to tell me $200-250 price range tablets were coming out in the spring. I've been more than happy with what my PB can do - wish for more apps, but web apps are available. If I was buying now, I might wait to see about the ipad mini; still might choose the PB though. When I played with tablets back in Nov 11, I just kept going back to PB. Since that time I haven't seen any tablet that made me regret that decision. You can say what you want, but as far as price - features/performance, the PB is hard to beat.

I realizeed with my droid phone I would download apps, then uninstall apps - constantly. One or two apps would stay and get used, those apps are available for PB.
    00stryder and jessedawson628 like this.
    07-26-12 05:33 PM
    I'm after a tablet for browsing, web use, emails etc and Skype.

I have had 2 Nexus 7's, both of which have been faulty so I gave up.

These are recently on offer for �130 at PCWorld and I'm wondering if I should pick one up but with the Nexus 7 already out and the 4G Comming soon, is it a bad idea?

And is Skype for video and audio calls likely to be supported in the future or is it a certain no?

Cheers
    Playbook is awesome. There are many things I like about this tablet but perhaps sideloading android apps I like the most. it is so much fun to find cool apps and install them out of the app worldm I feel like 10 year old again ! skype android version is working but no video. just text and voice.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    07-26-12 06:00 PM
    Buy a used one for 100 bucks and you then don't have much to lose if you are worried about it.

I think you have one heck of a great experience coming when you get a Playbook.

You will keep it forever.
    Last edited by kretch; 07-29-12 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    KermEd likes this.
    07-26-12 06:44 PM
    Since I just got a Nexus7 16 at Staples last Friday I hate to see all these posts about faulty hardware. Haven't found anything wrong with mine yet. What should I look for? I find my BBPB nicer to use for email and very good for web browsing. On the Nexus7 you can talk to Chrome and it will convert into text and do the search. BBPB does not have Skype or Netflix. A lot of very good apps in the BB app store. The Nexus7 is lighter than the BBPB by about 80 grams and is nice to hold but don't roll over on it in bed because you are likely to break it. One annoying thing about the Nexus7 is that the home screen only displays in portrait mode. Thus when you are working in landscape mode and want to go to another app through the homescreen you are looking at a sideways display of icons. Not cool. Another thing about Google, they are really pushy and I'm not sure that they are to be trusted to be my big daddy in the clouds. The home screen on the Nexus7 is aimed at book, music and video use. Like Amazon the content sale is the thing. If you got to have Netflix and/or Skype don't buy a PB. Otherwise it is a great little tablet. Of course you can wait until 2013 or 2014 and get a better machine.
    Tattooed1 and FreeJACLive like this.
    07-26-12 06:47 PM
    Suggest holding out for windows 9
    07-26-12 09:59 PM
    Suggest holding out for windows 9
    Well, or they could wait for Windows 10 which will probably be out the same time as BB10!
    07-26-12 10:41 PM
    Well, or they could wait for Windows 10 which will probably be out the same time as BB10!
    Ok, so why not ios7 & the GiGa iPaD.
    07-26-12 10:43 PM
    wait for BB11, maybe it'll get NYTimes app
    07-26-12 11:18 PM
    i am assuming you mean buying a playbook! It's never too late or early to buy one! You are missing out big time if you don't!
    07-26-12 11:40 PM
    The PlayBook is the best tablet in the market for the price and features. The browsing is great if you are on a speedy connection and it's same for E-mailing. Great features and integration with your contacts.

Regarding Video chat, you can use the Native video chat which is PlayBook to PlayBook only or if you want cross platform then you can try AV by AOL - Let's video chat! however, iPads do not support Flash and I'm not sure about the Android platform. You can easily video chat between PlayBook and Desktop/Laptop via Aol AV. Works perfect.

Regarding Skype, Microsoft owns it now - so nothing can be said for any platform. They might just wake up tomorrow and shut it down on every platform besides Windows. Why? Because they just can.
    FreeJACLive likes this.
    07-26-12 11:49 PM
    If you want to know if the PB on any other tablet is right for you make a list of what you need from a tablet today, then look a features and future proofing. ask friends and family about their experiences. Visit forums and ask users advice based on specific needs. Revisit your list, set your budget. Choose a tablet then go buy it.

Now for me. The PB is almost perfect, I say almost because nothing is perfect. Size and portability, UI, power all good. Does apple and android have apps i like sure but do i need them? No not really. Bought a 3rd gen ipod touch years ago and it is full of apps i have used once.

Is it a good idea to pickup an N7, you have had 2 already hows has that worked for you?

4G? Do you have the coverage? If your buying to a budget can you afford (or need) a 2nd mobile contract? Will your existing tariff cover tethering or hotspot?

How important is skype on the move? If you havent needed till now do you need it?

Like i said make a list ask the right questions. Find the tablet that is right for you.
    07-27-12 02:32 AM
    If Skype is a must then you will have to look elsewhere. There is rumor that Skype will come to the Playbook some time next year, but there has been no official statement. The Playbook is a great device and for what they cost these days they are a steal. However, it does not have the ecosystem of Apple or Android devices. There is a smaller number of apps for the Playbook and fewer accessories. RIMs stock has been hovering around $7 a share. I doubt they are going to go out of business but at some point they may have to cut out the unprofitable parts of the company. The Playbook is a well put toghether device and I doubt RIM makes much if any money on it at its current selling price. You sound like you are not going to use it for business so the security features of RIM devices probably isn't a selling point for you. I suggest you try to get some "hands-on" time with a Playbook and see if it feels right for you. I am glad I have one and enjoy using it but I am glad it is not my only device (I have alot of gadgets).
    07-27-12 05:40 AM
    If you buy a PB buy it for what it is now because technology you buy never gets better, it just gets older. I have been sitting on the PB for over a year now waiting for a few key apps and they haven't happened and probably likely never will. If they do come around eventually you will be sitting there with 3 year old technology and likely will be moving on to something else anyway.
    07-27-12 06:07 AM
    this is what i really like/love about BB loyalist! they all know about the product. they love to share the benefits of the product but not too pushy. we BB & PB users are really well educated & lending a helping hand. i really cant wait for BB10 & what PB can do more in the future!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-27-12 06:49 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD