Wife is very happy with her new PB, but have few questions...

Did a backup last night of just Application Data & Settings and few new apps and little data besides the default and it took 3-5 minutes and backed up around 500MB of data.

1. What constitutes "Application Data" and why does it take so much space? There is barely anything on the PB yet.

2. Is data stored by apps hidden? Because of 1, I thought it'll be faster to do manual backups of my application data, e.g. from Conqu, but cannot find any files in "media" area and all it's folders. (I did not look in "certs" assuming it was security system stuff). If it's hidden is there anyway to access it? (Don't care about the apps themselves, because they can be re-downloaded.)

3. Anyway to perform a backup or sync with DM wireless? I've set the PB up for sharing and can wireless update files in the "media" area, but DM doesn't enable the backup functions unless the PB is connected via USB.

Thanks for the help. The Crackberry community is one of the reasons I went ahead with the purchase.
    12-20-11 08:07 PM
    Number 1 is a good question. I have no idea what is lurking out there in the way of data and settings. Obviously, things like bookmarks, the various Options settings. There may be some base stuff which we never see.

Have you placed any documents or music or photos on it. Those should be under the sort of top level Media folder and then in subfolders such as Photos, documents, music, etc. And I copy all of those manually. That way I know what I've got and it is not in some huge backup storage file. And I can update both the pb and my computer copies of those things as they occur (if only I were that obsessive!).

The bb phones allow some backup using bt but I have not tried it on the pb, if it is even allowed. The BT stuff on the pb is still somewhat limited so I don't know if it exists or may be added eventually.
    12-20-11 09:36 PM
    No PB guru's out there? I can't believe I'm the only one with these questions. 500MB of backup data for "Application" & "Settings" on a brand new PB is a little ridiculous to me.

Anybody know if I can restore my normal backups to another PB, like in case my PB gets lost or bricks. I know there's a "Switch" option, but that requires both PB to be there.
    12-21-11 05:27 AM
    You can restore your backup to another PB. It similar to a new phone. Say if it is replaced you restore your backup to new phone and all your data is on your new phone. Same with the PB.
    As for the size of the backup, there is quit a bit of info that is pre installed on the PB. Personal settings, Bookmarks, WiFi settings, and all the info so that when you turn it on it looks like how it was when you turned it off or put it in stand- by.
    12-21-11 07:00 AM
    This morning my app data backup is 1.35GB with 51 entries. The PB shows 115 apps but I count 81. I think the idea is to have all the data you need to restore on a new PB and be right where you left off. With the storage capacities of drives today 500 MB isn't crazy but if its a problem you can move that file anywhere(disk, thumb drive).
    12-21-11 08:00 AM
    Quick question...

How do you stop the DM from erasing the PB media before loading more? I had 30 videos on my PB and I selected a few more to load onto it. Instead, the DM erased the thirty off the PB and only loaded the new ones back onto it.

I figure it has to be something simple I am doing wrong...
    12-21-11 09:10 AM
    Quick question...

How do you stop the DM from erasing the PB media before loading more? I had 30 videos on my PB and I selected a few more to load onto it. Instead, the DM erased the thirty off the PB and only loaded the new ones back onto it.

I figure it has to be something simple I am doing wrong...
    You have highlighted why I do NOT use any type of syncing apps. They will do things I do not want. They will duplicate items or move them in/out of the folder structures I want or they will delete items from both ends when I only want to clean up the "smaller capacity device". I do it all manually. It can be tedious to make sure my devices are in sync but at least I'm in control.
    12-21-11 10:22 AM
    You have highlighted why I do NOT use any type of syncing apps. They will do things I do not want. They will duplicate items or move them in/out of the folder structures I want or they will delete items from both ends when I only want to clean up the "smaller capacity device". I do it all manually. It can be tedious to make sure my devices are in sync but at least I'm in control.
    With Windows Explorer? That would take care of videos and music. What about contacts and calendars?
    12-21-11 11:11 AM
    Well, at the moment, the pb does not store contacts and calendars so there is no real syncing involved. The pb is only showing what is on the bb phone.

And, I do recall trying to use google contacts/calendar at one time and it FULLY RECONFIRMED my dislike for syncing - every calendar and contact was duplicated on my phone. I had to kill them all and reload from a backup.
    12-21-11 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD