02-05-12 12:39 PM
41 12
tools
    I too have an app issue that was causing backups to fail until I unchecked backing them up. I wish there was a way to show when you installed an app, as I could narrow down what app could be potentially causing it because I know what date the last full backup was.
    I'm still fairly certain that it's not any one specific app, or even a few, which is causing this problem. The app "sandbox" implementation is, as I've said earlier, nearly perfect in the sense that apps cannot affect things outside their own environment, and removing an app removes almost all traces of it. (I say "almost" because I've identified one or two corner cases where I believe a bit of metadata gets left around, at least for a while, but I don't think that's relevant to this backup problem. I could be wrong.)

More likely, it's just an OS glitch where from time to time, at random, something gets munged and from that point on backups will never work. You could attempt to back up after every app you install, and discover that after app #38 it suddenly starts failing. If you did a full wipe, then went back and reinstalled all the apps up to #37, it might fail anyway, or it might then let you carry on with #38 again, and up to #63 at which point it would fail.

We could try to prove or disprove my theory... if everyone with the failing backup were to submit a full list of the apps they have installed, a simple "intersection" of those sets would show us all the apps they have in common. If we then listed those apps here, and each of those apps are also installed by those who can back up, then this isn't tied to any particular app or apps.
    11-06-11 07:44 AM
    Peter:

Is there any EASY way to get a full list of installed apps? Something like:

dir > applist.txt (ah, give me the simple days of Dos)
    11-06-11 09:15 AM
    Peter:

Is there any EASY way to get a full list of installed apps? Something like:

dir > applist.txt (ah, give me the simple days of Dos)
    There is, if you have the SDK installed and/or know how to connect with SSH to your PlayBook. I didn't think you swung that way though... ;-)
    11-06-11 05:01 PM
    There is, if you have the SDK installed and/or know how to connect with SSH to your PlayBook. I didn't think you swung that way though... ;-)
    I have been an experimenter in some aspects of life but past rope burns have limited how much I'm willing to swing!
    11-06-11 06:08 PM
    Grampycan... as I just wrote in that other thread going on this subject (with apologies all around )

Last night I did call the support line and yes they did recomend wiping and reinstalling OS 1.07 back to where it was. Takes it back to where it was coming out of the box. Once you get your WIFI going again it does one easy update back to the latest OS 1.07. Go to App World and all your apps will be waiting for you to download again. Yes it will take some time but I have noticed that it cleared the cobwebs out of the system. I notice App World and the PB in general quicker and more responsive again.

Just be sure to back up pics videos downloads etc manually on your desktop first.
    Yes. Agreed. Start fresh by doing a Security Wipe and install all OS updates fixed by backup problem, too.
    01-21-12 10:14 AM
    I just finished my final call with PlayBook tech support on my PlayBook's inability to back up. They looked at my Desktop Manager logs and also a report created on my PlayBook. They found the problem in my case, which is probably the problem in many cases, and they say it will be resolved in OS 2.0. The problem is that in DM there is a parameter set that times out too soon, so if your PlayBook's content exceeds a set time for backing up, it times out.

For me, it timed out for both Full backup and Custom (couldn't build the app list). Since the only solution at the moment is to eliminate things one-by-one, that's what I'll do to get as much of my 32GB PB backed up before wiping and beginning anew with my 64GB (hubby gets the 32GB). I've already done a drag-and-drop on all my files, and I'll start "deleting" apps that don't have settings I care about losing; the apps will come back with my reinstall on the 64GB but the settings won't. I'll try backing up after deleting a few items at a time. I don't want to wait a few more weeks before making the switch so I'm willing to give this a shot.
    Last edited by padamssm; 01-23-12 at 02:28 PM.
    farskija likes this.
    01-23-12 02:25 PM
    Thanks for that report on "time out" issues.
    01-23-12 03:39 PM
    Since the only solution at the moment is to eliminate things one-by-one, that's what I'll do to get
    Just make sure to focus on the ones that appear likely to have many files in them (e.g. thousands of images) instead of just the dinky little free ones. Also, merely removing an app doesn't always instantly delete all of its data... there appears to be a brief time (maybe 5-10 minutes?) during which it may stick around until some housekeeping is done. If deleting a likely candidate doesn't appear to let backup work immediately, a restart or waiting a bit may do the trick.

Failure to understand that could lead you to misinterpret which app was actually responsible for this. Also, depending on the app, merely reinstalling it afterwards may not trigger the backup problem again. Some of the apps only become a problem after they've been run the first time, or even after they've been used for a while and accumulated/generated enough data.
    01-24-12 07:15 AM
    I'll add myself to the group that are unable to back-up the Playbook. It used to help if I did a Sync All prior to the backup. However, nothing seems to work. I can't imagine having to 'roll-the-dice' with OS 2.0 upgrade and not having the Playbook backed-up. Yet another strike.
    01-26-12 09:53 AM
    I was able to selectively/custom back-up the Playbook. I just had to separate what was being backed-up. Now that it has been backed-up, I am going to see if it will do a full back-up.
    01-26-12 10:08 AM
    I was able to selectively/custom back-up the Playbook. I just had to separate what was being backed-up. Now that it has been backed-up, I am going to see if it will do a full back-up.
    While I can see some convenience to a FULL backup, I find I would rather control my media/doc backup myself. So I use drop/drag for all of my files on the pb. With 20 megs of such data, a Full backup would overwhelm my storage on my computer, although tossing the older ones would clear that up. I guess I just prefer my own system.

So I use custom/selective, WHEN IT WORKS, for settings and apps.
    01-26-12 10:41 AM
    RIM stinks. They flat out stink like dogs. They have botched this Playbook as badly as anything I ever experienced.

This is a complete frig. Just an absolute farce.
    02-05-12 11:28 AM
    Just give up and wipe...
    I can't back up, never installed OS2 or the leaked Android player. It sucks but what can WE do?
    02-05-12 11:38 AM
    Trying to backup my playbook for the first time. Had it for six months; guess now is a better time than never. Anyways I get this error with BB desktop. "Loading of Backup content failed" Attached a pic to show what and where. Anybody seen this before?

With red face I see a similar thread... reading thru it now.
    I had the same problem, did a security swipe and voila! was immediately able to backup. I had to install all my apps again but that didn't take long and afterwards I've had no more problems backing up.
    02-05-12 11:47 AM
    You don't have a certain recipe app do you?
    02-05-12 11:49 AM
    Okay, more non-conclusive information!!!

Oh, I only do the Selective/Custom and do not use DM to backup files/media which I do myself manually.

I just got a 64gig. I installed or reinstalled a bunch of apps (so far I've got the same BBID on both the older 32 and this new one). So I did an initial backup after adding about 10 apps. Fine, not one glitch.

Added a bunch more apps back on and decided to do another backup yesterday. Starts and fails somewhere in the process. Try again 10 minutes later. Fails. Screw this! Added more apps.

Try backup again. Failure. Rebooted the 64gig. Tried again - Success! Also made sure that less stuff is running on the VistaHome64 so that it can give more attention to DM.

The backup was about 2.4 gigs.

So - no real conclusion but try and try again.

Oh, I'm one of those with XXX-maps on device (no recipe app) and I have NOT installed that on the new 64. But I have been able to backup the 32 with xxx-maps on only some occasions.
    02-05-12 12:39 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD