02-05-12 12:39 PM
41 12
tools
    Trying to backup my playbook for the first time. Had it for six months; guess now is a better time than never. Anyways I get this error with BB desktop. "Loading of Backup content failed" Attached a pic to show what and where. Anybody seen this before?

With red face I see a similar thread... reading thru it now.
    Last edited by sllock; 10-29-11 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Found another thread same problem
    10-29-11 09:07 PM
    make sure u have the latest version of the desktop software,thats the most common problem with the backups.
    10-29-11 09:28 PM
    I am part of those other threads. I still canNOT backup. I think about a full wipe and restore but I'm not sure it would work. And since I can't backup, I'd lose my bookmarks and other settings as well as apps that I acquired for free and that would now cost money or more money. So I roll along....
    10-29-11 09:30 PM
    had this happen to me the other day as well. I read somewhere in my search initially that there are some apps causing a conflict with this latest OS build. I just haven't had time to research more since then. Let me know if you figure anything out.
    10-30-11 12:53 AM
    I had the backup problem too. I had been using a PC and the latest software. When OS 2 came out, I noticed there was a new DM for the Mac and it now has backup and it worked to do the backup prior to OS 2 install. It also worked to restore back to OS 1.07.
    10-30-11 09:51 AM
    I have uninstalled the desktop software and reinstalled. Still unable to backup. I get an error message each time. I suspect a higher issue than my limited knowledge will provide. I will get a support callgoing.
    10-30-11 09:54 AM
    Have you tried turning bluetooth and wifi off on the playbook before backing up?
    10-30-11 09:56 AM
    Grampycan... as I just wrote in that other thread going on this subject (with apologies all around )

Last night I did call the support line and yes they did recomend wiping and reinstalling OS 1.07 back to where it was. Takes it back to where it was coming out of the box. Once you get your WIFI going again it does one easy update back to the latest OS 1.07. Go to App World and all your apps will be waiting for you to download again. Yes it will take some time but I have noticed that it cleared the cobwebs out of the system. I notice App World and the PB in general quicker and more responsive again.

Just be sure to back up pics videos downloads etc manually on your desktop first.
    10-30-11 10:18 AM
    Glad that worked for you, but I'm not sure that should have to be the answer. Something is causing it to not backup.
    I'll just keep a holding pattern here until an update for PB or DM to see if problem is resolved. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-30-11 12:36 PM
    I'm getting the attached error when I try to backup my playbook. I have never tried to back it up before and I was looking to testing the OS 2.0 beta, but I won't try to install it until I can get a backup complete. I have tried the different backup methods, have turned off bluetooth & wifi prior to backing up, tried different USB cables and computers, but I am still getting this error. Has anyone else seen this error and/or know how to proceed with a backup of the playbook?
    11-02-11 06:30 AM
    First up,

Anyone who side-loaded the old Android Player will have this problem. The Android Player stores stuff on your PlayBook that cannot be removed. If you used that Android Player you need to do a security wipe to install OS2 or the Android Runtime won't work (even if you delete Android Player). Further to this, it corrupts part of your application data folder - causing Backups to fail.

I had to do a full wipe --- no backup, to get my PB running on OS2. But really its my own fault for installing an Android Player that was leaked out of RIM and we were all told not to use :P

Tip #1: You can usually backup some of your data settings, uncheck backup Applications and save what you can. But in my case, I couldn't back that up anyway.

Tip #2: You can re-install all your paid apps from appworld by going to Appworld > My World > Uninstalled apps. But you gotta click on all of them manually.

What usually happens (if you install the early Android Player) is:

OS1 users:
    - You can backup only your Data not your Applications
    OS2 users:
    - You can't backup anything
    - You run an Android app and all it does is 'bounce'

To fix it:
    - Try backing up data, I don't see this getting fixed by an OS update or by a DM update.
    Note: You are going to lose your saved games and progress's.
    - If you have saved important files, back them up.
    - Do a Security Wipe.
    - Let your OS Re-install
    - Once done do a new backup and save it as a 'restore' point.
    - Install all your apps from App World
    - Don't install the Android Player
    - Avoid any leaked unstable bars like Angry Birds

~ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 11-02-11 at 09:14 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-02-11 09:07 AM
    i've tried all of the fixes listed above and am still unable to back up my PB.

oddly enough, when i had OS2 installed on my PB, i was able to complete a full back up of applications and everything.

however, since reverting back to 1.0.7, the problem continues.
    11-02-11 09:20 AM
    You can try the selective or custom backup - that has worked for some folks.

But some, like me, cannot do a backup. Something is broken and none of the workarounds suggested has worked.
    11-02-11 09:55 AM
    You can try the selective or custom backup - that has worked for some folks.

But some, like me, cannot do a backup. Something is broken and none of the workarounds suggested has worked.
    To be fair F2 people should know you haven't attempted a wipe or debrick because you don't want to lose your free apps that are no longer free.

On a side note can those who can't backup with dm are you able to copy and paste what you want to save?
    11-02-11 10:05 AM
    On a side note can those who can't backup with dm are you able to copy and paste what you want to save?
    You can always copy/paste from the network share, if that's what you mean. That gets only the files under the shared/ folder, however, and none of the stuff in the app "sandbox" folders.

I'm in the same boat as F2: can't back up no matter what.

Also, doing a security wipe isn't a long-term solution anyway. I did that back around 1.0.5, and afterwards I could do a backup, for at least a while. Once I added all my apps back in, and had used them awhile, I could no longer back up again.

Has there been a thread to try to narrow down the conditions under which it works/doesn't work? I'm of the mind that those of us who can't back up have lots of stuff installed, while possibly those who can have relatively few apps. I doubt it's quite as simple as that, but I get the strong impression that's a big part of it.
    11-02-11 10:21 AM
    To be fair F2 people should know you haven't attempted a wipe or debrick because you don't want to lose your free apps that are no longer free.

True, I've usually mentioned I do not want to lose those apps. I actually paid for one or two of them but don't want the more expensive upgrades.

And, I've pretty much mirrored all of my OTHER STUFF (pics, videos, docs, downloads, everything I can see with wifi sharing) on my computer. So other than the time to restore 25gigs or so, I would not lose anything in that fashion.

I would lose my settings and bookmarks and "internal" stuff like that. Most could be restored in one fashion or another but tediously restoring bookmarks and/or similar. I'd have to restore my kobo books one at a time.

And as noted above by Peter, it may be only a temporary fix to reoccur when apps are restored or used.

As I wrote in another thread, I did not install the Android player nor have I installed the OS2 beta. I have sideloaded about 3 apps.

I am presuming some table, index, pointer, counter or other gets bollixed up and the DM can't find something it needs.
    11-02-11 11:17 AM
    True, I've usually mentioned I do not want to lose those apps. I actually paid for one or two of them but don't want the more expensive upgrades.

And, I've pretty much mirrored all of my OTHER STUFF (pics, videos, docs, downloads, everything I can see with wifi sharing) on my computer. So other than the time to restore 25gigs or so, I would not lose anything in that fashion.

I would lose my settings and bookmarks and "internal" stuff like that. Most could be restored in one fashion or another but tediously restoring bookmarks and/or similar. I'd have to restore my kobo books one at a time.

And as noted above by Peter, it may be only a temporary fix to reoccur when apps are restored or used.

As I wrote in another thread, I did not install the Android player nor have I installed the OS2 beta. I have sideloaded about 3 apps.

I am presuming some table, index, pointer, counter or other gets bollixed up and the DM can't find something it needs.
    I wonder if side loading is the common theme for those that can't backup?
    11-02-11 11:22 AM
    In my case it was not because I sideloaded anything. BB desktop would recognize my PB, it just wouldn't do a backup. Windows 7 however let me open a window showing my pics, vids and musici etc. I backed up what I could by dragging and dropping the folders over to my puter. Lot quicker than wifi I would think.

Once I had 1.07 reinstalled BB desktop did a backup no problem. I tried with success before and after I downloaded my apps from app world again and backup at this point is still working fine.

I did not reinstall all the apps I had before but most of them. The culprit could still be in one I did not get again. I remember on upgrading some apps in the past that they would install with a new icon and I had to delete the old one manually. I wonder if that could have left ghosts in the machine the backup process didnt like. Just guessing at that theory but not one I've seen in reading the several threads on the problem.

Having shaking out the cobwebs my PB does seem somewhat peppy again.
    11-02-11 01:02 PM
    There is something in my 'application data' that causes my back up error:

"There was an error backing up. There could have been a prob with the device or connection during back up. Verify device is turned on and connect."

Of course it was turned on and connected

I then tried the selective back up for just 'media' and 'setting' and the PB backed up no prob. I'm running the 1.0.7.3312 version. I was able to do a full back up when I first bought the PB 2 months ago, so don't know what happened since. Just my 2 cents
    vespajet likes this.
    11-02-11 02:08 PM
    I'm in the same boat as Marsi_97. Something in applications is interfering with my backup. I can backup media and settings with no problems but if I add applications to the list to backup I eventually get the backup failure message.

It would be nice if there was a log file somewhere that we could look at to see what application(s) are causing the problem or if the problem is something else like a corrupted index or the like.
    11-02-11 09:40 PM
    I believe the issue is the same for me, with only the applications part failing.

My simplistic theory is that it involves how big that part of the archive would be. It's almost as if the thing just tries to build a big .zip file locally before transferring it to the PC, and if it doesn't have enough storage space to do that it will fail.

I'd be incredulous if it was actually as simple and stupid as that, but maybe we can call that a first theory, to be shot down with evidence and replaced by something closer to the truth...
    11-02-11 11:15 PM
    I also had the same issues and tried the selective back up for just 'media' and 'setting' and the PB backed up no problem. Thanks for the help.
    11-03-11 04:30 PM
    I believe the issue is the same for me, with only the applications part failing.

My simplistic theory is that it involves how big that part of the archive would be. It's almost as if the thing just tries to build a big .zip file locally before transferring it to the PC, and if it doesn't have enough storage space to do that it will fail.

I'd be incredulous if it was actually as simple and stupid as that, but maybe we can call that a first theory, to be shot down with evidence and replaced by something closer to the truth...
    Well if someone wanted to experiment they could either security wipe and see if it backs up then add apps back on one at a time and backup etc. Or delete some apps and try backing up.
    11-03-11 04:33 PM
    Well if someone wanted to experiment they could either security wipe and see if it backs up then add apps back on one at a time and backup etc. Or delete some apps and try backing up.
    I think I've read that one or two people has tried deleting apps and all apps and that did NOT fix it. So it may be apps that trigger it but once something is bollixed, it may not work even after apps are gone.
    11-03-11 06:02 PM
    I too have an app issue that was causing backups to fail until I unchecked backing them up. I wish there was a way to show when you installed an app, as I could narrow down what app could be potentially causing it because I know what date the last full backup was.
    11-05-11 05:43 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD