I have tried everything to backup my playbook,installed new software, 3 or 4 times.Tried
    just data,several different approaches but nothing seems to work.Using windows 7 premium.I even bought a new laptop,my old one was getting really tired,but still no go.
    11-07-11 01:48 PM
    When you connect your laptop to the PB using the desktop manager on your comp, do you get to see your device (PB) connected or even thats a fail also.

The only thing I can think of, is you delete whatever version of the desktop manager you have on your comp, make sure you get the correct latest version of the desktop manager and give it a fresh try. If your PB can still connect to your DTM, and you can sync files etc or copy paste things between devices, and only the backup fails......... you might want to call customer support... unless someone here at the forums have better suggestions.
    11-07-11 02:33 PM
    Thanks I can load files photos with wifi.
    11-07-11 02:42 PM
    Does windows see the PB as an external storage device? If not you may not have the drivers installed correctly.

Follow these steps to install the drivers:
    1. Make sure your PB is connected to your laptop via usb and switched on
    2. Restart your PB - Still connected
    3. When the red light comes on your PB, look out for Windows installing the drivers
    4. Once installed, start DM and hopefully your PB will be seen.

This worked for me.

ps, Make sure you have the latest version of DM
    pelletizer likes this.
    11-07-11 02:46 PM
    I am getting (loading of backup content failed).
    11-07-11 07:25 PM
    After the last OS update, I was never able to pull a complete backup either. The apps always showed as 0. I was able to copy off the pics and vids, etc. I tried a bunch of stuff before doing the OS 2 beta. After rolling back from the beta to 1.0.7, it now runs a full backup, although I haven't reinstalled all the apps I had before. One of them could have been the culprit.
    pelletizer likes this.
    11-07-11 07:31 PM
    After the last OS update, I was never able to pull a complete backup either. The apps always showed as 0. I was able to copy off the pics and vids, etc. I tried a bunch of stuff before doing the OS 2 beta. After rolling back from the beta to 1.0.7, it now runs a full backup, although I haven't reinstalled all the apps I had before. One of them could have been the culprit.
    Yes, it is exactly as you have suggested. Within the back up options, there are three things to backup: (i) Playbook settings; (ii) Video/Media; and (iii) Application data. Those are not the precise names but they are something like those - I don't have DM on my office computer so I can not check.

Most individuals were able to back up the Playbook settings (usually 5 megs or less) and any of their media. What they were not able to back up is the Application Data - in fact, this option would show a 0 kb which of course is problematic.

As you have said, the problem is that one, some, or all of the early apps in the early days of the Playbook are causing problems that is preventing the DM from being able to properly perform a complete backup. I've seen speculation that ranges from a corrupt file allocation on the Playbook which interferes with the DM to improper communication protocols being executed as a result of a corrupt app which then, in turn, causes the backup to fail.

If you are able to backup your playbook completely having rolled your OS back and not installed any apps, you could conduct an experiment which would be very helpful - install each of your apps one at a time and then initiate a backup. At some point, I would imagine you will get to an app that causes you problems in the backup process. If so, then you could let the forum know which app is causing the problems.
    11-07-11 08:18 PM
    I am getting (loading of backup content failed).
    That's the error I've run into - no backup will work, whether full or custom/selective. CanNOT backup any part of the pb using DM. Obviously, if your usb or wifi-sharing works, you can backup all of the visible files including media manually.
    11-07-11 09:24 PM
    Yes, it is exactly as you have suggested. Within the back up options, there are three things to backup: (i) Playbook settings; (ii) Video/Media; and (iii) Application data. Those are not the precise names but they are something like those - I don't have DM on my office computer so I can not check.

Most individuals were able to back up the Playbook settings (usually 5 megs or less) and any of their media. What they were not able to back up is the Application Data - in fact, this option would show a 0 kb which of course is problematic.

As you have said, the problem is that one, some, or all of the early apps in the early days of the Playbook are causing problems that is preventing the DM from being able to properly perform a complete backup. I've seen speculation that ranges from a corrupt file allocation on the Playbook which interferes with the DM to improper communication protocols being executed as a result of a corrupt app which then, in turn, causes the backup to fail.

If you are able to backup your playbook completely having rolled your OS back and not installed any apps, you could conduct an experiment which would be very helpful - install each of your apps one at a time and then initiate a backup. At some point, I would imagine you will get to an app that causes you problems in the backup process. If so, then you could let the forum know which app is causing the problems.
    Unless it is a combination of things or that running one or more apps somehow blows out some needed pointer or index or other function and not specifically app related.
    11-07-11 09:25 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I know the thread was created over a month ago, but I was not able to find an answer to the problem in this thread so I'm assuming no one was able to fix the problem. I had the same issue and what I did was disconnected the Bridge on my playbook and that fixed the error for me. I was able to see the options and create the backup. By passing this info, hopefully it might help others. Cheers.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 04:19 PM
    Thanks for that info. I finally did a Security Wipe and slow/tedious restoration of my data. If I run into the problems again, I hope I will remember to try that.
    12-26-11 05:15 PM
    I am too facing this problem....able to backup up media (5GB) , Settings (2MB) but I am not able to backup Application data (800 MB) ...anyone has found a solution/workaround this problem yet pls?
    02-06-12 07:00 AM
    First, there are a few apps that have been implicated in "revealing" the problem. It is not those apps, per se, but the fact that they seem to have a large number of files associated with them and Desktop Manager (DM) cannot handle the compression ( the backup is one huge ZIP file). One was a recipe program (presidents choice or similar) and the other may be XXX-maps on device, gps program.

But just yesterday, I had the problem backing up my new 64gig. I had backed it up the day before. Added some more apps and it failed twice. I terminated all apps on the pb. I also closed down most processes on my computer (so DM manager has better, fuller access to the cpu for compression (speculation at best???), rebooted the pb (BatteryIcon, Restart) and it then worked. Similarly, last week after 3 failures on my 32gig, it suddenly worked. So maybe even retrying can get it to work.

RIM is aware of the issue.
    02-06-12 09:31 AM
    Trying over and over again has worked for me as well. Don't understand why it won't back up one time but if I try a minute later it works, but I'll take any backup I can get at this point. Sure hope OS2 addresses the problem.
    02-06-12 12:39 PM
    I have found on any PlayBook that I have used and tried to back up (4 of them now) that they only way to get the backups to start working is to do a wipre and reinstall. Once the initial OS is wiped and reinstalled the back ups work fine.

The is something about the initial OS that gets loaded onto the PlayBooks that prohibit a application data. I tried on a fresh PlayBook purchase with very little application data and it failed at 7mb.

Best thing to do when getting a new PlayBook is to start it up then wipe it. You should be good to go again.

FTW: I used the "brick recovery mode" each time
    02-06-12 01:36 PM
    On a couple of occasions, I worked my way through the list of most recently installed apps, deleting them one at a time until my PB successfully performed a backup. There is defiantly a problem with certain apps.

Not ideal, but I wanted to try it as an experiment.
    02-06-12 01:52 PM
    RIM is aware of the issue.

I was thinking of calling support over this ..wanted to check if they specifically acknowledged this issue to you so that i would have to go thru the same ordeal (i'm sure they will ask me to reboot/reinstall etc - all of which i've already done )

Thanks!
    02-07-12 03:58 AM
    I just had this problem too, disconnecting bridge seems to be the key for most situations...

To be safe I also deleted a couple non-working android apps, disabled wifi-sharing, and then had to close and re-open BBDM.

Although it keeps failing while trying to back-up 1.5gb of appdata...

more on this...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...t-mode-676613/

...But it ALL seems to work in OS2.0...
    Last edited by jrarrmy; 02-21-12 at 08:25 PM.
    02-21-12 07:10 PM
    Hey Guys,

I was having this same problem yesterday. I tried backing up after the update (most recent) and got a error (see image). I tried restarting the PB and DM 3 to 4 times and nothing worked, so I gave up.

This morning after a full discharge and recharge, I turned on my PB and tried the backup again, it worked with no problems.

So maybe those having this issue could try and full discharge and recharge and try backing up as soon as the PB has booted fully.

Good Luck!
    04-18-12 02:52 PM
    Not sure about the others in this thread but OS 2.0 fixed my backup problems. Glad you found a solution for yours though.
    sickyute likes this.
    04-18-12 03:44 PM
    After reading a thread that the pb upgrade seems to have included a DM upgrade, I plugged in the usb and was offered some drivers and then the DM upgrade. I followed through. And then since DM was open as the end of the process tried a backup. I've head problems periodically. This time it worked fine.

Sometimes it seems that a backup might work better if the pb has been rebooted and nothing has been run. Maybe with its memory pristine and unsullied by any apps it can backup its stuff easier????
    04-18-12 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD