Last week I performed a full backup of my Playbook, I then performed a security wipe and started from scratch without restoring the backup.

My question is, I have a bunch of WordToGo documents that I had created and I am hoping are stored in the full backup, how do I get those out?
    06-23-12 03:29 PM
    There is a Windows program called 7-Zip that you should be able to extract them with.
    Reckage likes this.
    06-23-12 03:52 PM
    I tried that, I can get to 3 .tar files app.tar, media.tar, and settings.tar, but I cannot extract these, it gives me an error.
    06-23-12 04:22 PM
    Try right clicking on the media.tar file, it should give you the option to extract- at least Windows 7 does, I think.
    06-23-12 04:31 PM
    1. You will have to take a backup of your current installation.
    2. Restore your old backup.
    3. Copy the documents somewhere.
    4. Then restore your lastest backup.

You won't be able to extract anything from the backups any other way as the backup files are now encrypted.
    Reckage likes this.
    06-23-12 05:04 PM
    Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go this route, but I guess there is no other option. I hope in future updates RIM will give the ability to have a separate storage solution for documents.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    06-23-12 05:25 PM
    Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go this route, but I guess there is no other option.
    You shouldn't have to. I've extracted media from my backup files without restoring.
    06-23-12 06:53 PM
    I might be getting the error due to the size of the media.tar file at 18GB.
    06-23-12 06:59 PM
    Like I said, right click on the tar file and choose extract here- this is from a 14.5 GB media tar file.
    Reckage likes this.
    06-23-12 07:22 PM
    I still get an error that the file is corrupt or unsupported.
    06-23-12 07:53 PM
    1. You will have to take a backup of your current installation.
    2. Restore your old backup.
    3. Copy the documents somewhere.
    4. Then restore your lastest backup.

You won't be able to extract anything from the backups any other way as the backup files are now encrypted.
    Oh, so now rim is encrypting EVERYTHING in the backups? I thought they were employing that aspect for apps.
    06-23-12 08:02 PM
    Oh, so now rim is encrypting EVERYTHING in the backups? I thought they were employing that aspect for apps.
    Media is not encrypted. I extracted all media from my 2.01 backup.
    06-23-12 08:06 PM
    I still get an error that the file is corrupt or unsupported.
    You might want to try extracting the tar files again- maybe something went wrong the first time that corrupted the file. It's probably easier and quicker than doing a full restore.
    06-23-12 08:13 PM
    Hey, why not use BlackBerry Backup Extractor to extract your IPD or BBB backup files? It works also with encrypted backups (you will need to know the password tho'). Cheers!
    07-05-12 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD