My screen seems slightly less bright on the right side. I can notice it when looking at a white sheet. Is this normal?
    02-16-12 01:29 AM
    It all depends on how much less bright you mean, if you don't notice it under normal use, you're probably fine. try flipping the PB upside down on the same page is it less bright on that same side of the PB, or in relationship to the page? It could be that the page you're looking at actually has a slight gradient (darker on one side then another).

Also be sure to remove variables such as lighting or reflections in the room being biased to one side, move the PB around. Try it with all lighting off, in the dark. Check to see if you have the same problem when your screen setting is at it's lowest setting and when it's at highest setting. This will help you determine if it's a bad LED Strip.
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 02-16-12 at 02:54 AM.
    02-16-12 01:37 AM
    It could be light bleed on your LCD screen. It's not 'normal' per se but it is not unheard of/uncommon in these kinds of devices. Depending on how bad it is and when/where you purchased your playbook you may consider exchanging it either through the store or via RIM (though your mileage may vary whether or not they'll accept it).
    02-16-12 01:57 AM
    My screen seems slightly less bright on the right side. I can notice it when looking at a white sheet. Is this normal?
    Do you mean part of the screen or just the edges?

I don't know how many LEDs backlight the display, but if it's part, one or more of the LEDs might have burned out.
    02-16-12 02:03 AM
    It isn't bleeding or anything like that. Its just that say a quarter of the screen is slightly dimmer than the other 3/4. I would think that if the LEDs were burned out the screen would be black. I tested it on one of the screen testing apps...can't remember the name.
    02-16-12 03:59 PM
    Give DisplayTest a shot and see how the colors appear across the screen. I wonder if you took a screenshot whether the problems would show up or if it is merely a display issue. Press and hold the VolUp and VolDown for a screenshot.
    02-16-12 05:05 PM
    It isn't bleeding or anything like that. Its just that say a quarter of the screen is slightly dimmer than the other 3/4. I would think that if the LEDs were burned out the screen would be black. I tested it on one of the screen testing apps...can't remember the name.
    But if there are multiple LEDs and only one or a few of them were burned out (those that backlight the part of the screen that's dimmed), I think that what you would have. This is just a speculation, but it sounds reasonable to me.
    02-16-12 05:56 PM
    I took a pic with display test and really couldn't see much of a difference. Its so subtle that I'm probably over analyzing it. Its a perfectly flat device with no bad pixels that I'd be afraid of what I might get on an exchange. thanks for the responses and help.
    02-17-12 12:59 AM
    I had the same in 2 out of 4 PB. It is mostly visible with auto brightness on and backlight at dimmest or near dimmest setting. The difference I bet is much less noticeable at high brightness settings.
    I'll bet that if you even tilt the PB a bit say 20 degrees or so with the angle of the right side (where it was darker ) closer to you than the left and the bottom of the screen a bit closer than the right, that the dimmer area is no longer visible.
    These are not so much defects as they are limitations in LED backlit technology. Inevitably there will be some spots that are lit a bit unevenly. This true of nearly every panel, including most LCD TV. Certainly one can find panels where these "defects" are much less noticeable at dim backlighting but they make up a small percentage. IT is too costly for manufacturers to not use these panels and only use top tier ones.
    I opted to keep the 2 PB 32GB that I got at the Telus sale. Each ended up costing me 135$ plus taxes. The screen tint on each is a bit warmer than I prefer compared to the 64 gb. But the 64 cost more than the 2 32GB models and had a much more noticeable darker uneven backlit area in bottom right.
    Oddly, the 2 32gb models have no dead pixels, no warping of back cover. One suffers a harder to press power button (recessed) and one seems to have a bit more orange skin tones which while making colours look more saturated can make some images especially dimly lit faces look a bit more dark. This of course is only really noticeable in side by side viewing. On their own each looks great.
    While I probably would have preferred the overall tint of the 64 GB PB, the price of the 32 and the lesser uneven backlighting in dim viewing won me over. NOw my wife has one too! In bright viewing the screen gets so bright that the tint is a non issue. At night the warmer tint is a bit easier on the eyes and pictures look better saturated too.
    02-18-12 10:02 PM
    I just noticed this on mine too. A couple of days ago it was fine, last night it was showing this problem.

The right side of the screen is slightly darker than the left. The brightness difference is split in a perfectly straight line down the middle and there was some other hard-to-describe vertical banding present with it. That was last night as I was charging it from a 0% battery.

Today it's a bit better, but still noticeable on a darker grey screen such as the browser's home "bookmark" page.
    03-13-13 02:04 PM
    I'm not sure that I've ever seen how the screen is lighted? Should look at one or more of the dissection videos.
    03-13-13 03:47 PM
    I don't think in my case it is a backlight issue. I've seen backlights with dark areas and this looks nothing like it.
    03-13-13 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD