I bought a playbook when it first came out back in April, and while I was impressed with the browser, display, and portability, it's limitations led to me selling it a few months after. For $200, it seems like buying one again would be a steal with OS2 coming (that's the plan, anyway..)

When I had the Playbook, for some reason, my connection in both WiFi and tethering would drop regularly, which was very, very frustrating. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue lately?

Has the app selection greatly improved since the summer? Not really big on apps, but things like flixster, mobile banking, scoremobile/sports, weather, etc.

Thanks!
    11-16-11 04:20 PM
    You don't need a BB or PB to look around in App-World.

Take a peek and decide for yourself.
    11-16-11 04:40 PM
    No issues with wifi here. In my experience, dropping signal is often a router issue.
    bpdude likes this.
    11-16-11 04:47 PM
    I think someone posted a method of getting Appworld to only show PB (playbook) apps. So you could check for yourself.

Now, while OS2 is EXPECTED (Rim's word) sometimes in Feb, do not count of that. If the PB does what you want now or you think for the current Low Price, it is worth getting then consider it. But do not count on OS2 doing anything - even if a purported OS2 will be out in Feb, rim still has not given enough of an inkling to say what it actually will contain - so speculation runs rampant.

It still does not support bt a2dp, it still cannot correct spelling in most apps. You still cannot rename/reorder bookmarks. There is no search function in the pdf, word or browser apps.
    11-16-11 04:53 PM
    Several bridge updates have greatly increased bridge utility since the OP had his. Used to be that mobile sites were the most convenient method of accessing the web but now accessing full sites, while not wifi fast, is surprisingly good.
    11-16-11 05:01 PM
    I think someone posted a method of getting Appworld to only show PB (playbook) apps. So you could check for yourself.

Now, while OS2 is EXPECTED (Rim's word) sometimes in Feb, do not count of that. If the PB does what you want now or you think for the current Low Price, it is worth getting then consider it. But do not count on OS2 doing anything - even if a purported OS2 will be out in Feb, rim still has not given enough of an inkling to say what it actually will contain - so speculation runs rampant.

It still does not support bt a2dp, it still cannot correct spelling in most apps. You still cannot rename/reorder bookmarks. There is no search function in the pdf, word or browser apps.
    Wow ... you listed things the PB is missing and didn't include native email, calendar or PIM ... I might have to like this post. But everything you did list are the things I've been wanting the most myself. Lucky for me they're not critical, but they certainly would make the whole experience better.

And really, everything else here makes perfect sense -- don't buy something for what you think it might do in the future (even if you think that because the CEO's of the company that makes it are saying so). Buy it for what it can do for you now, and everything else will be gravy. I'm happy with what it does now -- it does everything I need it to do; these added features and a few others would just make me happier (and yes, I am disappointed at what's being rumored to be included in the rumored interim release). But I digest ...

@jgaspar89, you've got the advantage of having actually used it before, so you know what it is. Do you have any regrets about selling it? Do those regrets have anything to do with the promise of 2.0? If not, is it worth $200 to you now? Only you can answer that for yourself.
    AggreX likes this.
    11-16-11 05:03 PM
    Wow ... you listed things the PB is missing and didn't include native email, calendar or PIM ... I might have to like this post. But everything you did list are the things I've been wanting the most myself. Lucky for me they're not critical, but they certainly would make the whole experience better.

And really, everything else here makes perfect sense -- don't buy something for what you think it might do in the future (even if you think that because the CEO's of the company that makes it are saying so). Buy it for what it can do for you now, and everything else will be gravy. I'm happy with what it does now -- it does everything I need it to do; these added features and a few others would just make me happier (and yes, I am disappointed at what's being rumored to be included in the rumored interim release). But I digest ...

@jgaspar89, you've got the advantage of having actually used it before, so you know what it is. Do you have any regrets about selling it? Do those regrets have anything to do with the promise of 2.0? If not, is it worth $200 to you now? Only you can answer that for yourself.
    i hope you DIGEST well but I DIGRESS.... (how you put smilies in using the pb?)

native email is not one of MY biggest wants nor the pim stuff but they should not be so easily discounted as quite important for some people. native email is more important to me when Im away because not all of my email is received on my bb and is filtered and so i use my computer to get the rest. web email is not as easy or friendly to use as a client app.
    Last edited by F2; 11-17-11 at 12:19 AM.
    11-16-11 06:46 PM
    I bought a playbook when it first came out back in April, and while I was impressed with the browser, display, and portability, it's limitations led to me selling it a few months after. For $200, it seems like buying one again would be a steal with OS2 coming (that's the plan, anyway..)

When I had the Playbook, for some reason, my connection in both WiFi and tethering would drop regularly, which was very, very frustrating. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue lately?

Has the app selection greatly improved since the summer? Not really big on apps, but things like flixster, mobile banking, scoremobile/sports, weather, etc.

Thanks!
    I have Scoremobile and there is a weather app that came pre-installed.
    11-16-11 10:53 PM
    For $200, its a fantastic tablet.
    The apps selection is constantly growing. (EA and Gameloft released many sweet games)
    I downloaded Weather Eye - much better then the pre installed weather app.

I use Scoremobile for sports, and I have downloaded a couple Fantasy Football apps for free as well. If your a soccer fan, goal.com also has their own native app released for the pb.

Do your research first, buy the pb, try it out for a week, then return it if it doesn't suit your needs. (this is a win win scenario)
    11-17-11 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD