I have a question for Buzz, when I tap "reset calibration", is it supposed to show something or do I just start rotating the PB as shown in the diagrams? Step 7 of the calibration procedure says "press the stop button". I didn't see a stop button anywhere.

I must be missing something. And yes, I have downloaded the new version # 1.5.
    02-09-12 10:03 PM
    Or one of us could innocently post a thread: "Wow, What's Up has a Magnetometer (if I could spell it)!"
    The correct spelling is m-a-g-n-e-t-o-m-e-t-e-r. But your version is also acceptable.

I like your proposed title but I don't know any CB members (with the possible exception of myself) with enough modesty to craft an "innocent" post. Do you know any humble people who might qualify for the job.
    02-09-12 10:09 PM
    I have a question for Buzz, when I tap "reset calibration", is it supposed to show something or do I just start rotating the PB as shown in the diagrams? Step 7 of the calibration procedure says "press the stop button". I didn't see a stop button anywhere.

I must be missing something. And yes, I have downloaded the new version # 1.5.
    I meant to remove point 7 from the instructions before I submitted to App World. It was an artifact from an early test version and do apologize for misleading you. The truth is that there is no "stop" button because the calibration is an ongoing process. In this version, the adjustments sometimes get out of whack for reasons that I have not determined. When this happens, the values have to be reset. The quirkiness will disappear when I implement the official API - it quietly does background calibration and never needs user intervention.

After playing with the version 1.5 for a while, I posted a clarification of the calibration process on Facebook and I have re-posted it here for your convenience:
    --------
    There's no "right" way to do the rotations. You could just tap the reset button and then start scanning the sky - it would just take a little longer to complete the recalibrqtion, that's all.

It's best to do the procedure just after the app starts up. You don't even have to visit the recalibration page to hit the reset button when the app has just been opened

In order to regain accurate readings when readings become erratic, just tap the reset button and then turn the device around both axes - speed of rotation can be slow or fast, it doesn't matter. Then turn facing a different compass direction and repeat. No special pattern is required and it doesn't really matter if you initially face north, west or any other direction.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-09-12 11:04 PM
    In a way I don't want to mention this to give BuzzStarField any ideas but I would have easily paid 2.99 for this app even without the magnetometer. This was one of the first apps I bought after getting my Playbook after an App World search for 'astronomy'. After all my email address is stargazer54 (at) gmail (dot) com for a reason. A great app with a lot of great features including night mode for those star parties and viewing nights.
    I've thought about increasing the price but to be honest, I think that as long as sales remain at current (surprisingly high) levels, I calculate that I am better off having as many people download the app as possible. I am hoping for a viral-type explosion and the only effective way to achieve this is to let the app speak for itself (or rather give satisfied consumers a reason to tell others about it).

To this end, I really don't mind if you object to my current pricing policy and write about it in a review in App World or on my Facebook page. Twitter is another good way to set me straight. And for sure, I really appreciate the OP's posting his observations on CrackBerry.com - his kind words did not do sales any harm today for sure. I've been hovering near the bottom in the Top Purchased list for the last two weeks and there was a pronounced bounce today as a result of his post.

Another reason for retaining the $.99 price it that I am not completely happy with the current implementation of "point and view". It need to improve quite a bit before I would feel right about raising the price.
    02-09-12 11:32 PM
    My 1st PB is showing up tomorrow and you will be getting my $0.99 (minus RIM's small cut). Would it be rude to ask how many downloads you've had so far? I understand if you don't want to be specific, but maybe a general more than "x". It would be nice to know people buy apps other than angry birds.
    You can check out What's up vs Angry Birds at this url:
    Top 100 Paid and Free BlackBerry Applications

I have also included a chart of daily sales for What's up for Oct 1 until today. It shows a bit of an increase as a result of the so-called fire sales and the holiday season in December. It also shows the bounce resulting from the release of vers. 1.5. I am quite happy with the curve, but my app is definitely NOT in the same league as Angry Birds. Maybe someday...
    farskija likes this.
    02-09-12 11:55 PM
    At least you are beating ab seasons Good to know people are actually buying an app that requires them using their brain.
    02-10-12 12:07 AM
    I've thought about increasing the price but to be honest, I think that as long as sales remain at current (surprisingly high) levels, I calculate that I am better off having as many people download the app as possible.
    You are probably right, especially in the hands of kids. Who knows what it might inspire.

To this end, I really don't mind if you object to my current pricing policy and write about it in a review in App World or on my Facebook page. Twitter is another good way to set me straight.
    I'll certainly do that. I don't mind setting people straight at all.

Another reason for retaining the $.99 price it that I am not completely happy with the current implementation of "point and view". It need to improve quite a bit before I would feel right about raising the price.
    Then I have another idea for you. I don't know what api's are available or will be available in 2.0 for the USB port, but how about a Pro version that would include telescope control for the hobby level scopes that can take this kind of input.

How cool would it be at a viewing night or star party to set up your scope, connect your PB via the USB port, load Whats Up, tap a location on the star map and then have the scope maneuver exactly to that location in the sky. This would obviously be more work and would be something that more serious amateur astronomers would be interested in, but then their price tolerance would be greater as well so you could charge accordingly. This kind of thing is now being done with laptops and generators or heavy battery packs, but a fully charged PB would outlast any laptop, and be far more portable.
    Kingkracker likes this.
    02-10-12 12:26 AM
    At least you are beating ab seasons Good to know people are actually buying an app that requires them using their brain.
    Seasons is always in the top 40 - apps like mine have a tough time staying for long in the top 100 because the list includes all BB apps (not just PB apps.) But I will admit to having enjoyed the ride since the v.1.5 update was released. I hope it continues but...
    02-10-12 12:31 AM
    @rjedge Shhh don't tell anybody about telescope control. I'll likely be working on these features as soon as USB and Bluetooth APIs are available to mere mortal developers. And I hope the wait is not as traumatic as the wait for magnetometer support.
    rjedge54, Korepab and KMB4 like this.
    02-10-12 12:36 AM
    And for sure, I really appreciate the OP's posting his observations on CrackBerry.com - his kind words did not do sales any harm today for sure. I've been hovering near the bottom in the Top Purchased list for the last two weeks and there was a pronounced bounce today as a result of his post.
    Well, I'm glad I did some good. You deserve the credit; it's a kick app.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-10-12 01:30 AM
    Then I have another idea for you. I don't know what api's are available or will be available in 2.0 for the USB port, but how about a Pro version that would include telescope control for the hobby level scopes that can take this kind of input.

How cool would it be at a viewing night or star party to set up your scope, connect your PB via the USB port, load Whats Up, tap a location on the star map and then have the scope maneuver exactly to that location in the sky. This would obviously be more work and would be something that more serious amateur astronomers would be interested in, but then their price tolerance would be greater as well so you could charge accordingly. This kind of thing is now being done with laptops and generators or heavy battery packs, but a fully charged PB would outlast any laptop, and be far more portable.
    This would be THE BOMB! By the way, does anyone know if 2.0 will sport USB control?
    02-10-12 06:25 AM
    Okay Whats Up sounds awesome. As soon as I get my Playbook back from RMA, I am buying this app!!
    02-10-12 08:40 AM
    I just bought this app on the strength of your recommendations. I only recognize the "Big Dipper" when I look up at the night sky so this app will definitely help!

My kids will like it too.
    02-10-12 10:46 AM
    Once I saw this app while perusing AppWorld, I knew I was going to get it. I got it and I'm glad I did. I'm having a little trouble with the "point and view" feature (or my understanding of it at least). I'm expecting to hold my PB in a direction in the sky and having What's Up move the star chart accordingly (based on the magnetometer). It currently isn't doing that. I may have not aligned it properly because on my version there is no save option on the compass page. Not sure if that is a glitch or just my incompetence. Everything else seems quite good. You are to be commended for such a fine app. It obviously took some work to make.
    02-10-12 11:07 AM
    Once I saw this app while perusing AppWorld, I knew I was going to get it. I got it and I'm glad I did. I'm having a little trouble with the "point and view" feature (or my understanding of it at least). I'm expecting to hold my PB in a direction in the sky and having What's Up move the star chart accordingly (based on the magnetometer). It currently isn't doing that. I may have not aligned it properly because on my version there is no save option on the compass page. Not sure if that is a glitch or just my incompetence. Everything else seems quite good. You are to be commended for such a fine app. It obviously took some work to make.
    As I indicated in the help section of the app, it only points or scans when you ask it to by tapping one of the arrow buttons in the bottom menu bar. Open the bottom menu bar by tapping on one of the info areas at the bottom of the screen. As a posted above in an answer to Patrick's query, the reference to a stop button is incorrect and was included by mistake. I also posted some additional information about the calibration procedure that you may find helpful.

--------
    There's no "right" way to do the rotations. You could just tap the reset button and then start scanning the sky - it would just take a little longer to complete the recalibrqtion, that's all.

It's best to do the procedure just after the app starts up. You don't even have to visit the recalibration page to hit the reset button when the app has just been opened

In order to regain accurate readings when readings become erratic, just tap the reset button and then turn the device around both axes - speed of rotation can be slow or fast, it doesn't matter. Then turn facing a different compass direction and repeat. No special pattern is required and it doesn't really matter if you initially face north, west or any other direction.
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-10-12 11:47 AM
    Well, I'm glad I did some good. You deserve the credit; it's a kick app.
    I can't believe @$$ is blocked! I meant to say kick @$$ app!
    02-10-12 05:51 PM
    All the talk about this app made me go buy it. Now I have to walk outside and look up!
    02-10-12 06:30 PM
    when i'm on my playbook whenever i can < those are the good playbook moment(s).
    02-10-12 06:34 PM
    just set up my new playbook then purchased your app. I'm liking both so far
    02-10-12 08:20 PM
    All the talk about this app made me go buy it. Now I have to walk outside and look up!
    Thank you for your contribution to setting the single-day record for sales of this app. I realize that you risked neck strain and other assorted injuries in your pursuit of knowledge and enlightenment.

I also want to thank the other 252 other people who purchased "What's up" today - and I hope that each and every one of you is still in reasonably good health. (I'm feeling great - thanks again!)
    02-10-12 08:45 PM
    I'd risk Seattle's version of waterboarding!
    02-10-12 08:59 PM
    I'd risk Seattle's version of waterboarding!
    Please be careful - you could drown in a Seattle downpour. (Just in case you don't take precautions, I have included a health warning (in microscopic print) on the About page.)
    02-10-12 09:10 PM
    Thank you for your contribution to setting the single-day record for sales of this app. I realize that you risked neck strain and other assorted injuries in your pursuit of knowledge and enlightenment.

I also want to thank the other 252 other people who purchased "What's up" today - and I hope that each and every one of you is still in reasonably good health. (I'm feeling great - thanks again!)
    4th place in top paid playbook apps when i downloaded it. I'm not bumping this or anything, but i think if more people find out about this app it might do even better
    02-11-12 01:02 AM
    Just downloaded it - haven't fully set up - standing outside at almost 10pm in sub-zero temp calls for more dedication than I have, though it is a very clear night!

�1.00 - bargain!
    02-11-12 03:48 PM
    The What's Up App is the best App I Have. Last night I had my PB out and was looking at Jupiter and Venus. The What's Up App was naming Venus as Uranus. I knew it couldn't be so I thought that there was a bug in the App. After a few minutes thinking about it, I zoomed the sky view in and voila, there was Uranus was right next to Venus. What a coincidence! Excellent App, I am really impressed.
    02-11-12 04:04 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD