I've shared a number of awesome PlayBook and 'Berry moments, but I think this one takes the cake.

I was driving with my brother through the Roger's pass in the Canadian rockies during the first dark hours of night when my brother, who was driving asked "What is that really bright star near the horizon?" Cue the PB. What's up (astronomy app) is quickly opened, and reveals the "star" to be Venus. There is another "star" higher in the sky, and slightly to the south which turns out to be Jupiter! My brother ponderously asks how big Jupiter must be to be seen so easily from this distance. I flip on my 9900's mobile hotspot and click the wikipedia link in What's up.

In no time my brother and I are scoping out as many cool celestial objects as we can find on that crystal clear night with the moonroof open, while reading all about them on a fauxG wifi network moving at 120km/h.

Awesome. Love my PB.
    Eli_B, rrrebo, Korepab and 25 others like this.
    02-09-12 01:04 AM
    Cool! I love that app. I've been using it a lot lately, especially on cold, clear nights. Thanks for sharing
    lacroixn likes this.
    02-09-12 01:09 AM
    Think I might check out that app.
    Great story, thanks for sharing!
    02-09-12 02:43 AM
    In no time my brother and I are scoping out as many cool celestial objects as we can find on that crystal clear night with the moonroof open, while reading all about them on a fauxG wifi network moving at 120km/h.
    You drove through the Rocky Mountains @ 120 km/h (72 mph)? Was your brother trying to ascend to the heavenly bodies? Suicide speed damnit, Captain.
    02-09-12 04:44 AM
    Among other things, I am a cub scout leader, and I have used "What's Up" on several occasions to teach the boys a little about astronomy. I then use my PB (via hotspot) to go online and update their achievement progress.
    02-09-12 05:00 AM
    Cool story, thanks for sharing. Might just try those apps for myself, cheers
    02-09-12 05:23 AM
    You drove through the Rocky Mountains @ 120 km/h (72 mph)? Was your brother trying to ascend to the heavenly bodies? Suicide speed damnit, Captain.
    I think he was probably on the major highway, as long as the weather was not like thishttp://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/101.html (looks like a snowstorm today) then that is about normal for the divided highways (freeways) in Canada.
    02-09-12 05:59 AM
    Imagine if it was your wife, girlfriend, or S.O. and you both were staring at the stars with your PB as your guide to the heavens. One thing could have led to another. Does BB App World have an app for the couple so inclined??

All jokes aside, I may have to check that astronomy app out myself. I have also wondered what those two 'stars' were...didn't know they were planets. Cool!
    02-09-12 06:43 AM
    I had a really good moment last night. We were at a restaurnt for an awards ceremony, and coworker was trying to get checked in for her flight. She was having major trouble with her iPhone and the airline's mobile sight. Frustrated to the point of tears, she asked me if I knew of a way to get to the "regular" website on her phone. I smiled, pulled out my PB and said we can pull it up here. She said there's no wifi here...already checked. I just smiled and kept on going. Within a couple of minutes, she was checked in, very grateful for my help, and a budding BB fan...
    Last edited by gohogs911; 02-09-12 at 07:40 AM.
    02-09-12 07:14 AM
    I've shared a number of awesome PlayBook and 'Berry moments, but I think this one takes the cake.

I was driving with my brother through the Roger's pass in the Canadian rockies during the first dark hours of night when my brother, who was driving asked "What is that really bright star near the horizon?" Cue the PB. What's up (astronomy app) is quickly opened, and reveals the "star" to be Venus. There is another "star" higher in the sky, and slightly to the south which turns out to be Jupiter! My brother ponderously asks how big Jupiter must be to be seen so easily from this distance. I flip on my 9900's mobile hotspot and click the wikipedia link in What's up.

Awesome. Love my PB.
    Thanks for the plug but do be careful! The study of astronomy is best accomplished while stationary - the next update will contain a warning to that effect.

If you're still with us, and you a an early morning person Mars and Saturn are very prominent in the sky these days too.
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-09-12 07:54 AM
    Coincidentally we used it last night as well. A "menu malfunction" led us to head out to Swiss Chalet for chicken. I was sitting near the window and after a while noticed Jupiter, big and bright. I knew it was Jupiter because I'd used What's Up in the fall to keep track of it.

I swiped on my PlayBook (which, naturally, was sitting on the table near me) and popped open the app.

Using What's Up's exclusive new magnetometer support I swung it over to the window to check it out. WTF? Venus?! What's that doing there?

Of course it showed me both planets were up, and leaning forward a bit more I could then see Jupiter as well, slightly less bright, just above and to the left of Venus.

As usual my daughter (6) was impressed. Not sure if it was just with me though. Might have been the PlayBook. Or BuzzStarField's great app. Or maybe it was something outside the window... not really sure. ;-)
    02-09-12 07:58 AM
    Coincidentally we used it last night as well. A "menu malfunction" led us to head out to Swiss Chalet for chicken. I was sitting near the window and after a while noticed Jupiter, big and bright. I knew it was Jupiter because I'd used What's Up in the fall to keep track of it.

I swiped on my PlayBook (which, naturally, was sitting on the table near me) and popped open the app.

Using What's Up's exclusive new magnetometer support I swung it over to the window to check it out. WTF? Venus?! What's that doing there?

Of course it showed me both planets were up, and leaning forward a bit more I could then see Jupiter as well, slightly less bright, just above and to the left of Venus.

As usual my daughter (6) was impressed. Not sure if it was just with me though. Might have been the PlayBook. Or BuzzStarField's great app. Or maybe it was something outside the window... not really sure. ;-)
    ...and speaking of compasses and exclusivity, I want to remind people that the app's augmented reality capability would not have been possible without your research and demonstration of way to access the stream of numbers that flow from the magnetometer chip.

--and speaking of compasses, What's up has an compass which is far superior to the "Compass Pro" app which is currently being featured in App World and is selling at a much higher pace than my own app. For the same price, you can get a fairly good astronomy app AND an excellent magnetic compass.
    02-09-12 08:13 AM
    Great story. While passing that motel at Rogers Pass you could have also multitasked and watched "The Shining" on the pb to provide the appropriate aesthetics!
    teeuwen and rotorwrench like this.
    02-09-12 09:22 AM
    The problem with all these awesome playbook moments and finding information anywhere at anytime

I can no longer B.S. answers and have people think I'm smart!
    02-09-12 09:27 AM
    I think he was probably on the major highway, as long as the weather was not like thishttp://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/101.html (looks like a snowstorm today) then that is about normal for the divided highways (freeways) in Canada.
    You are correct, sir. It was a major highway; the limit was 110 km/h, so 120 was quite reasonable!

Thanks for the plug but do be careful! The study of astronomy is best accomplished while stationary - the next update will contain a warning to that effect.

If you're still with us, and you a an early morning person Mars and Saturn are very prominent in the sky these days too.
    Will do! I take it you are the author of the app? I love it! I don't remember how much I paid but it is was worth it!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-09-12 12:47 PM
    Just for filler info: The app is a wallet-breaking $0.99 - that's 99 cents. Quite affordable and terrific.
    02-09-12 02:54 PM
    Been watching this app since I seen it come out and been waiting for the magnetometer support, didn't realize it had been added! Going to go buy it now! Thanks for a great app!
    02-09-12 04:11 PM
    didn't know magnetometer was added... gonna be buying it today as well...
    02-09-12 04:53 PM
    didn't know magnetometer was added... gonna be buying it today as well...
    It looks like a lot of people have not heard the news - the title of the thread I posted when version 1.5 was released (on Jan 27th) did not specifically refer to the added magnetometer support. Do you think it would be untoward of me to start a new thread with a title more reflective of this feature?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-09-12 06:23 PM
    I would because it seems some people are not aware of the added magnetometer support. Get it out there!!
    02-09-12 06:47 PM
    It looks like a lot of people have not heard the news - the title of the thread I posted when version 1.5 was released (on Jan 27th) did not specifically refer to the added magnetometer support. Do you think it would be untoward of me to start a new thread with a title more reflective of this feature?
    Or one of us could innocently post a thread: "Wow, What's Up has a Magnetometer (if I could spell it)!"
    02-09-12 08:19 PM
    Awesome story! I love that app myself. Kudos BuzzStarField for writing it!
    02-09-12 09:34 PM
    My 1st PB is showing up tomorrow and you will be getting my $0.99 (minus RIM's small cut). Would it be rude to ask how many downloads you've had so far? I understand if you don't want to be specific, but maybe a general more than "x". It would be nice to know people buy apps other than angry birds.
    02-09-12 09:40 PM
    Been watching this app since I seen it come out and been waiting for the magnetometer support, didn't realize it had been added! Going to go buy it now! Thanks for a great app!
    If I may speak on behalf of Buzz, who didn't mention this above, please note that this first "magnetometerized" version is an interim version, using a crude mechanism I dreamed up (though vastly improved by BuzzStarField) to access the magnetometer prior to RIM releasing the proper APIs for it.

He'll do an improved version later. It will be far more responsive than this one, which can update the compass data only about once per second.

So enjoy, but cut it some slack for now in terms of the sluggishness... after everyone has 2.0 and he's finished up the "real" version, you'll really be impressed, I'm sure.
    02-09-12 09:51 PM
    In a way I don't want to mention this to give BuzzStarField any ideas but I would have easily paid 2.99 for this app even without the magnetometer. This was one of the first apps I bought after getting my Playbook after an App World search for 'astronomy'. After all my email address is stargazer54 (at) gmail (dot) com for a reason. A great app with a lot of great features including night mode for those star parties and viewing nights.
    02-09-12 09:58 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD