Can AVG be downloaded and used on the playbook ?
    12-07-11 10:00 AM
    The anti-virus software? No.
    Shugster10 likes this.
    12-07-11 10:10 AM
    Can you recommend an alternative free anti-virus ?
    12-07-11 10:12 AM
    I don't think one exists for the PB.
    12-07-11 10:22 AM
    Can you recommend an alternative free anti-virus ?
    You do not need an anti-virus program for the playbook.
    12-07-11 10:44 AM
    Managing the Application permissions is about all you can do for now.
    12-07-11 02:33 PM
    Application permissions is good enough for now.
    Until applications start installing by themselves or reports of malicious applications being approved in AppWorld become known (I have heard of no such reports as of yet), there is no need for one.
    12-07-11 02:45 PM
    I bought blackberry playbook.
    avg antivirus progamme and would go down loade.
    but it does not .. what a **** .. who can help my ..
    to AVG antivirus on my playbook ..
    06-26-13 01:13 PM
    So far, I don't think there have been any reports of virii attacking the pb. I have no even looked for software to fight them.
    06-26-13 02:50 PM
    This is why I started using a BlackBerry and still do ... no viruses, unhackable, best in class security.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-26-13 03:01 PM
    That's true! PlayBook has no viruses and unhackable...

Perhaps, like Mr. Heins, those virus programmers and hackers are not also interested in PlayBook... for them, it is dead anyway...

Posted via Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-13 02:08 AM
    No anti virus cab disinfect QNX - or even read it's core files.

Anti virus is a courtesy got transient files and downloads for windows users only.

I.e. To make sure your phone - if used as a USB storage device - doesn't carry a bad exe between pcs

Also threads years old...

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-27-13 02:22 AM
    The market is not big enough to spend the energy to create a virus on the playbook.
    06-27-13 05:50 AM
    you can actually..... download clamav which is an open source antivirus and then compile it for armhf or armlev7 (qnx language), create a .bar package and install or upload in appworld. you need to download the clamav source in any form and recompile with armhf as arch. i think the qnx has armhf environment built in for this packaging tool.
    considering many people sideloading apps? which may/may not run nasty scripts and thanks to RIM's ******** policy when it comes to QNX OS, anything is possible.
    i would try this if i were not planning to root. for me rooting does the trick.
    yes its certainly possible. i will give it a try in a few days time. as of now i am busy like anything with rooting.
    stay tuned.

hope this helps!

thanks
    -paul
    p.s. its not avg but clam, i think clam is better and it doesnt have real time checks, you can run offline checks. i.e. download and then scan and then install. but i need to package it first. thanks anyway.
    06-27-13 06:32 AM
    No anti virus cab disinfect QNX - or even read it's core files.

Anti virus is a courtesy got transient files and downloads for windows users only.

I.e. To make sure your phone - if used as a USB storage device - doesn't carry a bad exe between pcs

Also threads years old...

Posted via CB from my LE
    there are some basic tools like readelf and strings and hexdump which can do loads of wonder on any system thats point number 1. and having said that? why not read this doc. i am sure this will make you change your mind and also your opinion.
    http://www.creangel.com/papers/writingvirusinlinux.pdf
    considering qnx and bsd's are both of mach type (microkernel), if i were so? i would never be so sanguine like how you are. ;-)
    again thanks for wasting your "5 mins reading this post and 10 mins with that pdf", time with this geeky stuff! ;-)

hope this helps!

thanks
    -paul
    06-27-13 06:44 AM
    there are some basic tools like readelf and strings and hexdump which can do loads of wonder on any system thats point number 1. and having said that? why not read this doc. i am sure this will make you change your mind and also your opinion.
    http://www.creangel.com/papers/writingvirusinlinux.pdf
    considering qnx and bsd's are both of mach type (microkernel), if i were so? i would never be so sanguine like how you are. ;-)
    again thanks for wasting your "5 mins reading this post and 10 mins with that pdf", time with this geeky stuff! ;-)

hope this helps!

thanks
    -paul
    You don't understand Paul.

Apps *cannot* modify or even read most (pretty much all) of the system files.

Not only can you not repair them, you can't scan them. You can only scan the shared documents. Which are not going to impact your OS - ever.

Is it possible to infect QNX? Sure, anything is possible.

Your bb10 device? Not impossible, but good luck with that.

Can a normal user run an antivirus from an appworld app to scan or fix it? No, so the rest is of the points are null.

In a world where anything can be theoretically possible, I use realistically probable to determine yes and no.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-27-13 01:40 PM
    Of course it can. I had it on mine but it only scans the Android Runtime environment and is pretty useless really. This is QNX. We just dont need it. As stated, application permissions are enough.

Edit. I didn't notice the age of this thread lol.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 06-27-13 at 02:04 PM. Reason: More.
    KermEd likes this.
    06-27-13 02:00 PM
    Post #8 was a revival of the same question from yesterday.
    06-27-13 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD