So when watching Youtube through the PB browser, the quality automatically defaults to either 320p or 480p. However, 720p over wifi doesn't pose a problem - and I always make the switch to that. But doing so for every single video is quite the tedious drag, so I was wondering if there was any way to make Youtube play HD automatically. It seems to do so without fail on my computer, but just not the PB. Even the playback setting of switching to HD when activating fullscreen playback doesn't seem to respond when I switch to PB fullscreen playback. :-(
    02-06-12 03:43 PM
    I have the same problem. I even set it to play HD in my account settings, but only works like that on the PC. Also it sometimes just won't do it from the server without buffering, even though I have a 6Meg line. Sometimes it can do a whole 1080p video and the buffer stays way ahead.
    02-06-12 04:42 PM
    I have a rivalry with Youtube. I'm on a 24meg down line and still experience buffering and stuttering. Mind you this is on the playbook and a CoreI7 desktop. I've done so much testing with routers, wifi access points, dns settings that I have come to the conclusion that its on Youtube's end. For some it works brilliantly, for some not so much.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-06-12 04:59 PM
    Have you tried using one of the 3rd party browsers where you can change the User Agent and "lie" to the site (youtube in this case) about using Firefox or IE or Chrome, etc
    02-06-12 05:36 PM
    ive rarely noticed a difference in picking video quality settings on youtube on both my playbook and pc, sometimes the sound is different going from 360-480p but from 480 - 720 never noticed any diff, and 1080 is the same except taking 3x as long to load.
    02-06-12 06:08 PM
    Have you tried using one of the 3rd party browsers where you can change the User Agent and "lie" to the site (youtube in this case) about using Firefox or IE or Chrome, etc
    It's not the PB, it's on my PC as well with FF10 or IE8. Some days it's not so bad. I get the same performance on PC and PB at the same times. Yet the speedtest are always very consistent. My DSL line did never fluctuate, no matter when I tested it in those six years I had it.
    02-06-12 06:08 PM
    What if you do "video name, hd" , does it change anything?
    02-06-12 06:24 PM
    some youtube is using HTML5 now, but not all, hope they convert the whole site that way.
    02-06-12 08:10 PM
    My playbook seems to start Youtube videos in 720p both in the app and browser and seem to do so using Bridge aswell, I'm running a 40meg line from BT Infinity and they play seemless.
    02-07-12 07:38 PM
    My playbook seems to start Youtube videos in 720p both in the app and browser and seem to do so using Bridge aswell, I'm running a 40meg line from BT Infinity and they play seemless.
    Same here, videos start playing in HD. On the PC its does play in SD and you have to change it to HD...
    02-07-12 09:03 PM
    I believe youtube sets the hd level based on fullscreen resolution. The pb screen is not quite 720p so it would set the resolution just below that 480p. It would be nice if youtube have device specific settings to force the hd level you want regardless of the screen resolution.
    02-07-12 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD