When I turn on automatic backlight dimming on my new PB (refurbished) I get this problem:
    When swiping from anywhere on the bottom half of the screen across the touch sensitive bezel the screen dims and turns bright again directly afterwards. The same happens when I make a swipe gesture in the bottom left corner and don't cross the bezel while doing so.

OS 2.1.0.1526 is installed.
    Any ideas or solutions?
    05-17-13 05:27 AM
    Reboot; hold down [VOLUME DOWN] + [POWER] + [VOLUME UP] for about 10 seconds
    Rjinswand likes this.
    05-17-13 06:02 AM
    Are you creating any shadows up near the camera and/or led at the top - there's a light sensor located with the led "spot" that reacts to ambient light. Also, where is this happening? OUTDOORS where bright light affects that same sensor and boosts the screen to full brightness but, again, any change in ambient light hitting it can change. I was watching a video outside the other day and as I shifted the pb's position, the backlight would change.

Or, it could be a problem.
    Rjinswand likes this.
    05-17-13 08:34 AM
    Reboot; hold down [VOLUME DOWN] + [POWER] + [VOLUME UP] for about 10 seconds
    Thanks, but that didn't solve the problem.

Are you creating any shadows up near the camera and/or led at the top - there's a light sensor located with the led "spot" that reacts to ambient light. Also, where is this happening? OUTDOORS where bright light affects that same sensor and boosts the screen to full brightness but, again, any change in ambient light hitting it can change. I was watching a video outside the other day and as I shifted the pb's position, the backlight would change.

Or, it could be a problem.
    I only used the new PB indoors so far. I placed my old PB right next to it with the same settings for testing purposes so I doubt it's some shadow or other light source only affecting the new one in these cases as the old one works perfectly fine.
    Sometimes, it's less often happening. Then not every of the described touch gestures leads to the effect. BB support recommended reinstalling the OS again which I'll try next.
    05-17-13 05:39 PM
    Thanks, but that didn't solve the problem.

I only used the new PB indoors so far. I placed my old PB right next to it with the same settings for testing purposes so I doubt it's some shadow or other light source only affecting the new one in these cases as the old one works perfectly fine.
    Sometimes, it's less often happening. Then not every of the described touch gestures leads to the effect. BB support recommended reinstalling the OS again which I'll try next.
    I was going to ask if you had another to compare it to. Seems like your side-by-side test was a good and valid one. If the reinstall does not fix it, hopefully, rim will replace this one as defective. Good luck.
    05-17-13 05:49 PM
    I personally think the automatic backlighting is a pain in the A$$ and I turn mine off. I'd suggest you manage brightness manually.

When you're outside in bright sunshine, it will kick in to max brightness anyhow, even when auto is set to off. That is one of the PlayBook's strongest features in fact is that it is readable out in full daylight. I use mine plenty outside on a lawn chair. When I take my HP TouchPad outside, you can't see much of anything even at max brightness - in fact, it's near useless.
    jeroen_13 and Rjinswand like this.
    05-17-13 06:35 PM
    I got used to turning auto dimming off; it's okay without it.
    My view on BlackBerry changed a bit, though - it's been all positive before.

In my conversations with the support, I mentioned a video I recorded, which shows that something is wrong with the device and linked to it in an email. Reinstalling the OS didn't help, btw. After a few days, I was called and told, that this is standard PB functionality: The backlight dims depending on the surrounding light conditions. No ****, Sherlock. She says, she asked some technician, too. So I ask whether she has seen the video. Silence. I guess that's a "no". She offers asking another technician.
    Today, I was called again and told that the other technician looked into the case and came to the same conclusion: Standard functionality. Needless to say, the video's stats show, that neither she nor any technician nor anyone else has seen it.
    05-27-13 04:11 PM