Is there a way to edit the equalizer, for the music app? I like a fair bit of dubstep, but the Playbook just seems to lower the bass down lower than the highs and mids.
    10-04-11 07:38 PM
    I do not believe there is any way in the current app which is pretty basic.
    10-04-11 09:08 PM
    Umm, are you talking about when using the internal PB speakers? Because you're never going to get much bass out of them no matter what you do with EQ - if you output to another system just use the EQ on that.
    10-04-11 09:41 PM
    I was actually talking about using the headphones. I can adjust the equalizer on my Blackberry phone, but not the tablet which I find strange they would leave a feature like that out.
    derrickps3 likes this.
    10-04-11 10:24 PM
    I was surprised the playbook doesnt have an equalizer,but I cant see that lasting long.The apps are coming and I for one hope its not like the roids where you have to wade through 50 to find a good one.More doesnt always mean better.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-04-11 05:16 PM
    I was actually talking about using the headphones. I can adjust the equalizer on my Blackberry phone, but not the tablet which I find strange they would leave a feature like that out.
    they left a lot of stuff from the phone out of the playbook for whatever reason, so far i can't think of a good one. hopefully they'll fix this nonsense in 2.0.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-04-11 06:23 PM
    I too would like a way of controlling the EQ.

I have my PB connected to an older pair of computer speakers that do the job just nicely, however some of mp3's weren't copied/recorded to the best of their ability so it'd be nice to make adjustments. I'll keep an eye out of a 3rd party app comes by...
    12-04-11 06:30 PM
    Just thought I'd bump this and keep the issue current. The Playbook's WM8994E Wolfson Audio DAC has a hardware parametric EQ and a capless class W headphone amp, it's just a matter of being able to access it. I love the current volume levels, but it needs some EQ adjusting. Come on RIM!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-08-12 04:16 AM
    even winamp doesnt come with an eq on the playbook :-(
    02-08-12 06:35 AM
    I could use a sub-woofer.
    02-08-12 06:37 AM
    I could use a sub-woofer.
    If they had a bluetooth one or something, I might. I have one for my MBP 13"...

Twelve South BassJump 2 Portable Subwoofer for Mac 12-1109 B&H

Sounds surprisingly good with the MBP's speakers. It adds a good bit of thump.
    02-08-12 06:51 AM
    02-08-12 08:47 AM
    Flat is best. Tweak the .mp3 files in Audacity if you have a hankering for more bottom.
    02-08-12 08:55 AM
    That's really unnecessary to go through hundreds of songs and adjust and re-encode them individually, when a simple software update could solve the problem.
    02-08-12 10:30 AM
    I want an equalizer too. Toshiba thrive has one and it does sound better with it on.
    gerry2007 likes this.
    02-23-12 10:50 PM
    This would be nice to have for sure.
    03-22-12 12:37 AM
    I just bought rocketfish bluetooth headphone and works realy great with PB, it comes with mic and equalizer.

Rocketfish� Mobile - RF-MAB2 High-Definition Stereo Bluetooth Headphones - Black - RF-MAB2 headphones&cp=1&lp=10
    03-22-12 12:55 AM
    I have these also. What equalizer? It does have 4 or so sound fields to choose from.

Great BT headset though!!!!
    03-22-12 07:37 AM
    I'm so frustrated with this issue that I'd like to design and code one myself - if I had any clue how to do it.

Would this be an impossible task for some of the talented devs who frequent this site? I really want to use the Playbook as my main music player, but lack of an EQ on a piece of hardware this capable is disappointing to say the least.

Will we just have to wait until BB10 on the PB (probably pretty close to a year away) and its improved developer tools until we see a rockin' EQ?
    05-04-12 09:25 AM
    The PB actually has very accurate and flat playback. In other words, your recordings will accurately playback as they were converted/recorded. I'm assuming you're compressing in mp3. If you prefer a different sound than the original recording, then you have two choices, an equalizer or record/rip your tracks through a music client that lets you influence the track before ripping.

The second is much easier to do and once set to your tastes, you can insure that all ripped tracks will be flavored to your tastes, say with heavier bass or more prominent mids for pronounced vocals. Do a little research and you can find several very good music manager/client programs that have more features than you'll ever need. And most are free.

I prefer accurate, as the artist intended, but I do use an equalizer and flavor my tracks a little due to a little high frequency hearing loss (turbine engines). And most hearing devices flavor the music in some way, so earphone/headphone selection is important too. I had a pair of Ultimate Ears that were a little bass heavy and would use my player's equalizer to bring it down to normal. Equalizers do have their uses but I can usually work around the need for one.
    05-04-12 10:03 AM
    Thanks, RW.

I use MusicBee as my music player on my PC and dBPoweramp to encode / rip from CD, but have approximately 10000+ songs that would need to be re-encoded just to add (generally speaking) a bit of bass. I don't really want to colour the sound either, accuracy is important to me too.

A simple 5-band EQ program is all I'm asking for and it looks like all the other platforms (iOS and Android) have a number of pretty decent choices. This is another area where the PlayBook falls short at the moment. Hope the 2.1 OS update at least included a better native music player.

I'll give it another, more objective listen this weekend...
    05-04-12 02:46 PM
    I like the audio player and I too am waiting for a EQ, it would be nice to know if one is in the works.
    05-04-12 05:21 PM
    believe me ..it doesn't need an EQ ...just connect it to a decent woofer ..home theater..or a good set of earphones..and u will be astonished..the output is amaaaaaaaaazing ! ...
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-04-12 07:08 PM
    The one app that does have EQ for PB is subsonic .. I use it to stream music from my PC to PB and its EQ works pretty well =)
    05-04-12 07:44 PM
    believe me ..it doesn't need an EQ ...just connect it to a decent woofer ..home theater..or a good set of earphones..and u will be astonished..the output is amaaaaaaaaazing ! ...
    Doesn't matter if I don't "need" one... I'd like the option. My ATH-M50's are bass heavy, and they sound simply amazing with no EQ adjustment needed. But my Bose Triports could use an EQ. I use the M50's at home and the Bose on the go, so I'm wearing the Bose quite a bit.
    05-11-12 02:55 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD