As I've grown to love and cherish the fellow members on this forum, I just thought I would ask for your help in my hour of need.

As you may or may not know at the moment I am suffering from man flu and in all probability may not ever be able to walk again or worse still open a bottle of brandy. Anyway as I lie here alone with myself in my lonely bed in my lonely bedroom in total silence I have had a thought. (more about that later). I thought wouldn't it be nice if I could lie here counting the cracks in the ceiling and listen to the sound of "twenty thousand leagues under the sea" or "the life of Brian" being read to me by some person with a nice voice.?

Does anyone know of a reliable good audio book reader out there for the playbook? This would enable me to lie here quietly with my eyes shut, sometimes, and listen quietly. If this is a bit thingy then I personally blame night nurse, beechams, Dr spock and lem sip!

Thank you gentlemen and gentlemenesses in advance.
    04-03-13 01:12 PM
    quiet ≠ S_O_M

but get well soon.

Must be delerious if you think there are apps for the PB.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-03-13 at 01:32 PM.
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    04-03-13 01:21 PM
    quiet ≠ S_O_M

but get well soon.

Must be delerious if you think there are apps for the PB.
    Thank you for your kind words but man flu is very serious and I could be on deaths doorstep. There has to be someone out there that sits happily listening to books being read to them. (butlers and servants excluded). I lie here in silence waiting for my prayers to be answered. Just an audio book reader. That's all?
    04-03-13 01:37 PM
    Get overdrive app and then you should also be able to download audio books for free if your public library supports this program.

Get well soon.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 02:04 PM
    Well, this was in App World:
    BlackBerry World - Play-a-Book

Audiobooks have to be in .mp3 format.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 02:36 PM
    Get overdrive app and then you should also be able to download audio books for free if your public library supports this program.

Get well soon.
    Thank you kind member. If I can summon up the strength to push the buttons I will look at it. Thank you.

Well, this was in App World:
    BlackBerry World - Play-a-Book

Audiobooks have to be in .mp3 format.
    As for you gooseberry fool, I'm ill not stupid. I know the format otherwise I would have started another thread asking what format audio books are in!

ps what's mp3?
    04-03-13 02:42 PM
    Gooseberry Fool is my cousin. I'm Falls. I guess you already had the second dose of brandy...
    sad_old_man and anon(1852343) like this.
    04-03-13 02:45 PM
    Sorry to here that your not well. I hope that you survive this debilitating illness. Have they called Hospice in for you yet?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 03:07 PM
    The app play a book is pretty good and the dev is about to update it:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=758064
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 03:17 PM
    Gooseberry Fool is my cousin. I'm Falls. I guess you already had the second dose of brandy...
    Only because at the moment I'm dying and I'm on No 7! Please note the healthy lemon! One of my 9 a day! And I am lying down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However I like your cousin a lot!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Audio Book reader for the BB playbook?-img_00000016.jpg  
    04-03-13 03:20 PM
    I'm interested in hearing what the audiobook options are myself, and I sincerely hope you survive your man flu (and perhaps become friends with Gooseberry Falls since you're already so fond of his cousin)!
    anon(1852343) and sad_old_man like this.
    04-03-13 03:45 PM
    Only because at the moment I'm dying and I'm on No 7! Please note the healthy lemon! One of my 9 a day! And I am lying down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both you and the drink are lying down - hope it did not spill.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 04:00 PM
    Well, we grew up on opposite sides of the bush so you won't like me...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-03-13 07:33 PM
    I'm using a simple, free Android port app called, amazingly, Audiobooks. It works just fine. Allows for downloading countless free audiobooks, bookmarks where you leave off. Not glamorous or flashy just functional and free.
    04-03-13 07:47 PM
    Well, we grew up on opposite sides of the bush so you won't like me...
    It's ok, I'm not prejudiced and I'm not a vegetarian either!
    04-04-13 08:56 AM
    I am glad to see that you survived the night.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 04-04-13 at 10:06 AM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-04-13 09:45 AM
    I am glad to see that you survived to night.
    Hope I do! We'll see tomorrow eh?
    04-04-13 09:55 AM
    It's ok, I'm not prejudiced and I'm not a vegetarian either!
    OK. To be politically correct, we like to called "fruits", "berries", or "greenies" not "veggies". So you don't offend in the future.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-04-13 at 02:34 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-04-13 01:43 PM
    OK. To be politically correct, we like to called "fruits", "berries", or "greenies" not "veggies". So you don't offend in the future.
    Just remember one important rule in life. 'KEEP IT SIMPLE'. I don't care what side of the tree you fell off, what your sister thinks of you, if you are actually real (by that I mean green and hairy).

Q1. Is a gooseberry an animal = no (therefore you contain no animal fats or muscle)
    Q2. Are you green = yes (therefore vegetarians will eat you)

It's a wonder you've managed to stay alive so long young man. Beware the vegetarian looking at you on the bus. He's wondering how he can get you into his sandwich!!!!

I wouldn't mind but I had this conversation with your brother last week, just ask him!

I like your family.
    04-04-13 03:36 PM
    sick_old_man; Play-a-Book is the best Audiobook app I have found for the Playbook and older Blackberry phones.

By the way, are you a registered organ donor? I am always on the lookout for a pre-moistened liver.
    If not, get well soon.
    sad_old_man and Bumble2000 like this.
    04-04-13 03:58 PM
    sick_old_man; Play-a-Book is the best Audiobook app I have found for the Playbook and older Blackberry phones.

By the way, are you a registered organ donor? I am always on the lookout for a pre-moistened liver.
    If not, get well soon.
    For a dog your very funny. I don't normally talk to dogs but as I am on deaths doorstep and the grim reaper is trying to steal my brandy as well, I will make an exception. Today I managed to summon the energy to download that there program that what yourself and them other fine upstanding forum members mentioned. I don't know how but I did. I will give a review of it later (if I live through this man flu) but although I now have the book reader, I don't have any audio books! How ironic is life? It does have a nice screen though so at the moment I just look at the screen and pretend I'm deaf. So far I've listened to two goods books that I don't have this way.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-04-13 04:29 PM
    Don't let anyone say Gooseberries are not compassionate. Googled for you in your weakened state:
    3000 Free Audio Books + eBooks, Download for iPhone, Android, Kindle and more!

Read the one about the SAD_, sick_, geographically-challenged_, zoology-challenged_, snow-hating_, impatient_, gender-neuter_, pasty-touting_, sock-loving_, brandy-drinking, F2-# of posts-wannabe_ OLD_ MAN. Oh, you know that one by heart...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-04-13 06:07 PM
    This chap doesn't really need any help because he knows more than the rest of us about how to operate these toys. Just likes to talk and jive us about our silly efforts to assist. Hope he doesn't succumb to the " man flu" or fall down the cellar stairs and addle his remaining wits because then what would we do to pass the time.
    04-04-13 06:17 PM
    This chap doesn't really need any help because he knows more than the rest of us about how to operate these toys. Just likes to talk and jive us about our silly efforts to assist. Hope he doesn't succumb to the " man flu" or fall down the cellar stairs and addle his remaining wits because then what would we do to pass the time.
    You mean I'm just wasting my time and he is just playin wit me?
    I guess there are other ways to pass the time waiting for BB10.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-04-13 06:23 PM
    Foolish mortal I am Legion , or silly bob for some people but thats not the point
    I here by condemn you to eternal suffer in wonderland for telling sad old man's secret out loud( hardi harr harr )
    But first .. i am now curious to try the audio thingy ..if it was free damn blackberry for putting it on sale
    There for before eternal damnation I will search the bar file because I am Legion
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-04-13 06:30 PM
54 123