Probably many of you know the Calibre e-book management application. It is a fantastic donation-driven (i.e., free or make a donation if you feel moved to) suite of tools for e-books: library management, reader, conversion, sync, etc. calibre - E-book management

The app supports a great many readers but not the PlayBook - not yet. But he describes how to ask for support for your device here: Frequently Asked Questions — calibre User Manual

So I am tempted to submit a request but I am not sure what exactly to ask for. I mean, what would be the best way for Calibre to support PB? One problem is the number of different readers available for PB that access e-books from different folders.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    02-26-12 07:45 AM
    Have you looked at Overdrive Media Console. It is in the app world available for free. I installed it for Library books (DRM protected e-pub) but I have other e-pubs I have bought but not yet uploaded in to the PB - so can't tell how that works yet.
    02-26-12 07:59 AM
    Calibre will work with the PB using the "copy to disk" function. In a way this is better since most of the e-readers for the PB want you to import the epubs into their databases, thus removing a core library function of Calibre used with for example a Kobo.
    02-26-12 08:09 AM
    Have you looked at Overdrive Media Console. It is in the app world available for free. I installed it for Library books (DRM protected e-pub) but I have other e-pubs I have bought but not yet uploaded in to the PB - so can't tell how that works yet.
    Yes, I use Overdrive to borrow books from my local library. But I also have a large collection of DRM-free books in Calibre that I have collected or converted from other formats. It is easy to get them on the PB but I thought it might be interesting to sync with Calibre.

Calibre will work with the PB using the "copy to disk" function. In a way this is better since most of the e-readers for the PB want you to import the epubs into their databases, thus removing a core library function of Calibre used with for example a Kobo.
    Sounds like you have done this. Can you explain a little more. I do not understand what you mean about removing a core library function of Calibre.
    Last edited by mdarscott; 02-26-12 at 09:10 AM.
    02-26-12 09:08 AM
    You will need a decent ebook reader on PB first, And that to me is Kindle, an Android app not even official on PB yet. This will make it difficult for them to support PB sync, but they can easily sync to the disk location where books are stored for Kindle.

Doesn't Calibre have that option already? sorry I used it for converting DRM free ebook formats only.
    02-26-12 09:16 AM
    The developer of Caliber is very accommodating generally, and I would imagine that he would help if he can. I 'm not a big fan of Kindle and prefer the epub format. BookReader reads both epub and Kindle, and it's very reasonably priced - just $ .99.
    02-26-12 09:23 AM
    I use Calibre every day to gather all my newspaper related stuff together. It then sends them to my email address and PlayEPub on the Playbook picks the necessary files up as epub files, and I can then enjoy them whilst having my morning coffee.

It took just a few minutes to set the whole thing up, and to get my papers each day involves my pressing ONE BUTTON in PlayEPub to get the necessary files. That is a big job. It must take me all of at least half a second :-)

I set up a special gmail email address for Calibre to send epub files to, as it keeps things nice and neat, but you could just use your normal email address. Now, whenever I want a book on my PB I just go into Calibre and e-mail it to that address as an epub file (Calibre does the conversion for me) and that's it. So cool!

Calibre is well worth checking out, and in combination with Playepub and the Playbook is a pleasure, and IMHO, is easier than the Kindle, and definitely much better than the iPad.
    hpjrt, susgeek, igotrocks and 1 others like this.
    02-26-12 09:42 AM
    Oh, shoot! I'm losing it. I just remembered why it never occurred to me that Calibre does not support pb. As yorkshifeman2 says, Calibre already works great with PlayBook. When I want a new book, I set Calibre as a server, connect through the PlayBook browser and browse my whole library. When I choose a book, I download it to the downloads folder on the pb and then go add it in BookReader. Couldn't be easier.

But I didn't know about sending a digest by email. Going to try that next.
    Last edited by mdarscott; 02-26-12 at 03:11 PM.
    02-26-12 02:58 PM
    Calibre and PlayBook

Great + Great = PERFECT
    02-26-12 03:02 PM
    Can you please tell me in detail your calibration setup?
    02-26-12 03:31 PM
    One of the main reasons I purchased a Playbook 32GB is to use it as an Ebook reader, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to load books onto it. I have loaded books on my Ipad, Sony Reader and kobo Vox. Why is it so difficult to use the Playbook the same way??? I have tried Calibre, Sony Reader, and Adobe Reader, and have not been able to make a connection with any of them!!!

Has ANYBODY had success loading Ebooks to the Blackberry??? Would you PLEASE let me know how you did it!!! Very disappointing, as I really like the new OS2, and as hoping it would make loading Ebooks easier. NO SUCH LUCK!!!

Thank you in advance!!
    02-27-12 07:44 AM
    i found the best and easiest way is to download the epub files from the internet (free ones) and just open it right from the playbook. I have sideloaded MoonReader but there are good epub readers in the app store.

You can just drag and drop the files once you connect your pb to the computer though.
    02-27-12 07:58 AM
    Thanks very much. Believe it or not, I do not know what "sideloading" is, and also have not been able to "drag and drop" as I am not familiar with that term either!!
    02-27-12 08:12 AM
    Has ANYBODY had success loading Ebooks to the Blackberry??? Would you PLEASE let me know how you did it!!!
    Assuming you have wifi at home and you already have books in Calibre, you could try the way I described above.

1. First set up Calibre to share using a server:

i. In Calibre click the Preference tab
    ii. In the Preference dialog Sharing group, click Sharing over the net
    iii. The default setting work for me but you might like to configure something here. Make a note of what port Calibre is using
    iv. Click Start server

2. Now you need to take your PlayBook and use the browser to connect to the Calibre server. You need the IP of the computer running Calibre and the port number from step iii above. Type them into the address bar of the browser. It will look something like http:// 192.168.0.1:8080. The browser displays the contents of your Calibre library as a web page. You can browse your whole library. To download a book just click the Get button.

3. Last step, open the downloaded book in an epub reader. It will be in the PlayBook's download folder. You need a reader that can navigate your PlayBook's file system. I use Book Reader where I click the Add button, navigate to the downloads folder, select the book and click the big + sign.

Voila as we say here in Quebec. Sounds a little complicated but with Calibre and Book Reader it's actually easy.
    Last edited by mdarscott; 02-27-12 at 08:32 AM.
    02-27-12 08:27 AM
    One of the main reasons I purchased a Playbook 32GB is to use it as an Ebook reader, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to load books onto it. I have loaded books on my Ipad, Sony Reader and kobo Vox. Why is it so difficult to use the Playbook the same way??? I have tried Calibre, Sony Reader, and Adobe Reader, and have not been able to make a connection with any of them!!!

Has ANYBODY had success loading Ebooks to the Blackberry??? Would you PLEASE let me know how you did it!!! Very disappointing, as I really like the new OS2, and as hoping it would make loading Ebooks easier. NO SUCH LUCK!!!

Thank you in advance!!
    First, I have Kobo, Adobe Reader, freeBook Reader and Book Reader installed. Of these i have used Adobe and Book Reader by simply transferring the files directly. (c:PC/playbook(z)/books). Once I open the app it immediately searches and finds the files.
    02-27-12 08:39 AM
    Thank you very much!! I will try using Calibre to load my books. I really appreciate your help, guys!!
    02-27-12 09:12 AM
    I downloaded watt books and overdrive but it just sits in my world in the apps of blackberryplaybook. I can't read anything. I download calibre but it doesn't work either.
    Please help
    01-03-13 09:21 PM
    I downloaded watt books and overdrive but it just sits in my world in the apps of blackberryplaybook. I can't read anything. I download calibre but it doesn't work either.
    Please help
    Calibre is a good tool but it takes a bit of practice and special tools if you are trying to remove the drm (encoding) protection on certain books. Overdrive gives access to Public Library books.

Kobo is on the pb natively but it can only use books that you download directly from kobo using the pb. If you have purchased books on kobo, you can log in with the pb and get those books.

An android version of Kindle is available and does work but you need to learn about sideloading.

I am not certain "watt" books refers to or is it a typo?
    01-03-13 09:54 PM
    bookreader and wifi file transfer. Epub and mobi books in one nice app. couldn't be simpler
    01-03-13 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD