I was wondering if some1 came already up with a way to use app world via bridge? Maybe now that it jailbreak. This is the only thing holding me back from buying a playbook cause I don't have wifi near my house
    12-21-11 12:29 AM
    No, and most likely won't happen anytime soon, if ever. Most people would go through their data allowance (if you don't have an unlimited plan) for the month in just a few apps/games.
    12-21-11 12:40 AM
    I don't know of a way through bridge exclusively but I did successfully use app world through my wifi hotspot on os 7.1. Web browser over hotspot is also much faster than bridge browser.

Hopefully that's an option for you.
    12-21-11 02:54 AM
    Was thinking the same thing, dont have access to wifi but got an unlimited data plan from my carrier but my playbook is very app-less and for updates, got to look for a wifi hotspot in town everytime one is released. Not sure what am going to do when OS 2.0 comes out, will be like 400mb am guessing!
    12-21-11 06:04 AM
    Getting wi-fi in one's home is a piece of cake, and inexpensive as well. If you already have cable, a $30.00 router is all you need. Now, I had tremendous difficulty setting up a router in my home....I tried for several months, trying different brands, to no avail. Then it occured to me that my cable company has routers, and can install them. Well, I called them up, and they said they could make a service call and it would cost me $24.00 to install my router and make sure everything that is wi-fi capable works, and would make subsequent housecalls for free should the router go on the blink. They also would sell me one if I didn't have one. I had one, they came, and I'm hooked. So, what inspired me to finally get wi-fi, you ask? Well, it was the Playbook purchase that had me running back and forth to Mickey D's and Stabucks just to get the darn thing up and running.
    12-21-11 06:18 AM
    The mobile hotspot feature on BB7.1 works quite well in lieu of bridge
    12-21-11 06:23 AM
    Actually, the mobile hotspot feature can be found in most newer smart phones, but with a catch...in the US, before you connect to your hotspot, you have to agree to an additional data plan (tethering) and depending on your carrier, the additional cost is anywhere from $20 to $30 per month. This issue is unique to US carriers, and some carriers in Canada. In South America, you pay a flat fee for data, and it doesn't matter what device you are using to consume that data. It is very common for one person to have a cell phone in a small village, and several in the community use that cell phone as a hotspot, with no additional costs incurred (providing you stay within the data limits you paid for).
    12-21-11 06:29 AM
    Getting wi-fi in one's home is a piece of cake, and inexpensive as well.

The cable company in Uganda may have slightly different pricing.....

Hotspot on 7.1 is the way to go if you have a device that will run it, otherwise you may need to save up app purchases and upgrades for if/when you can get wifi access.

i've also read about people 'tethering' instead of 'bridging' their pb. i havent tried it, but it could be a work around.
    Last edited by Slalom; 12-21-11 at 06:34 AM.
    12-21-11 06:32 AM
    The cable company in Uganda may have slightly different pricing.....

Hotspot on 7.1 is the way to go if you have a device that will run it, otherwise you may need to save up app purchases and upgrades for if/when you can get wifi access.
    Ahhhhhh, I missed that....you are correct; not much I can suggest that would be an inexpensive solution for a developing society, unfortunately.
    12-21-11 06:39 AM
    Actually, the mobile hotspot feature can be found in most newer smart phones, but with a catch...in the US, before you connect to your hotspot, you have to agree to an additional data plan (tethering) and depending on your carrier, the additional cost is anywhere from $20 to $30 per month. This issue is unique to US carriers, and some carriers in Canada. In South America, you pay a flat fee for data, and it doesn't matter what device you are using to consume that data. It is very common for one person to have a cell phone in a small village, and several in the community use that cell phone as a hotspot, with no additional costs incurred (providing you stay within the data limits you paid for).
    Ive used the mobile hotspot feature MANY times on my AT&T line without any issues. The difference is I am on a legacy unlimited data plan and will throw a fit if they change my plan (since it doesnt exist anymore). Ill make them do a contract reversal and put the thing back. Probably get a credit thrown in too for my trouble haha
    12-21-11 07:01 AM
    Now the reason I wanted the playbook is bridge so if I anyways have to pay the $35 then forget it...
    12-21-11 11:39 AM
    Now the reason I wanted the playbook is bridge so if I anyways have to pay the $35 then forget it...

Bridge is free, piggybacks on your existing data plan.
    12-21-11 01:33 PM
    Bridge is free, piggybacks on your existing data plan.
    That brings up 2 questions for me
    1) I have a tethering plan already, will I not need that plan anymore if I use bridge?
    2) If when mobile hotspot is official, will I not need Bridge?
    12-21-11 02:06 PM
    1) I have a tethering plan already, will I not need that plan anymore if I use bridge?

1) Nope, not with Verizon. I have yet to even hit 1 gig with them using my 9930 and PB.
    2) I think it is carrier specific, some make you have a tethering plan with it, and I have heard some don't. Am waiting to see how it plays out with VZW once I get it on my phone. I think that yes we will need the plan though with mobile hotspot most likely.
    12-21-11 02:21 PM
    I believe you will need bridge to access email, bbm, calendar, etc. on your Blackberry from your Playbook.

Tethering will enable you to use the "browser" as opposed to the "bridge browser". This will allow you to access some sites like App World that are not currently accessible through the bridge browse.

Bridge is free to download and use, except for data usage incurred through your Blackberry (i.e. any extra data use on the Playbook appears to the carrier to have come from you handset).

My carrier doesn't charge for bridging or tethering, but I'm not sure that is true of all carriers.
    12-21-11 02:22 PM
    I believe you will need bridge to access email, bbm, calendar, etc. on your Blackberry from your Playbook.

Tethering will enable you to use the "browser" as opposed to the "bridge browser". This will allow you to access some sites like App World that are not currently accessible through the bridge browse.

Bridge is free to download and use, except for data usage incurred through your Blackberry (i.e. any extra data use on the Playbook appears to the carrier to have come from you handset).

My carrier doesn't charge for bridging or tethering, but I'm not sure that is true of all carriers.
    Bridge actually lets you use either browser, and at the same time...so that is kinda nice to be able to do. But yeah no app world via Bridge. Hopefully that changes sometime!
    12-21-11 02:26 PM
    But yeah no app world via Bridge. Hopefully that changes sometime!
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't see RIM ever allowing AppWorld over Bridge. Unless they put restrictions on downloading some large games/apps, which would make a lot of people mad, or maybe have constant warnings about data usage.

The majority of users throughout the world are on some kind of tiered data plan, whatever it may be. Could you imagine the shock some people would have at their bills after downloading NOVA 2 (which is almost 500MB) over bridge? That's more data than most people use in a month! I'm sure carriers wouldn't like this so much either, we would probably have more of them going the way of Att and wanting to charge for Bridge.
    12-21-11 03:08 PM
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't see RIM ever allowing AppWorld over Bridge. Unless they put restrictions on downloading some large games/apps, which would make a lot of people mad, or maybe have constant warnings about data usage.

The majority of users throughout the world are on some kind of tiered data plan, whatever it may be. Could you imagine the shock some people would have at their bills after downloading NOVA 2 (which is almost 500MB) over bridge? That's more data than most people use in a month! I'm sure carriers wouldn't like this so much either, we would probably have more of them going the way of Att and wanting to charge for Bridge.
    Isn't data usage different than the size of something you download though?
    12-21-11 03:13 PM
    Isn't data usage different than the size of something you download though?
    When browsing the web or using Facebook, yes, but for downloading stuff, no. How else are you suppose to get a 500mb app on your PlayBook? 3/4's of an app won't do you any good...
    12-21-11 03:22 PM
    When browsing the web or using Facebook, yes, but for downloading stuff, no. How else are you suppose to get a 500mb app on your PlayBook? 3/4's of an app won't do you any good...

I get ya there, apps we download on our phones must be alot smaller if it works like that there. For some reason I thought they were totally different things.
    12-21-11 03:48 PM
    Please somebody confirm that android market when rooted DOES work via bridge if yes I don't need so much app world...
    01-01-12 10:18 PM
    Still waiting for the official 7.1 to use the mobile hotspot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-02-12 02:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD