Here's the news and analysis -->
    Japanese Production Halts To Cause Parts Scramble, iSuppli Warns Of iPad, iPhone Delays | zero hedge

I guess we don't know yet if RIM will also be hit by similar issues. If not then RIM might be able to corner better market share due to the shortage of iPad and iPhone in the market. Might benefit PlayBook if RIM already has huge number of PlayBook manufactured and stocked up the inventory.
    03-18-11 09:58 AM
    The PlayBook's hardware is being manufactured by Quanta (?) computers, and only in Tawain. Although Texas Instruments plants are in Japan, I think that they have already made lots of processors by now, and the hardware is already made, were just waiting for the software.....to the best of my knowledge
    03-18-11 10:04 AM
    The PlayBook's hardware is being manufactured by Quanta (?) computers, and only in Tawain. Although Texas Instruments plants are in Japan, I think that they have already made lots of processors by now, and the hardware is already made, were just waiting for the software.....to the best of my knowledge
    SOME TI plants are in Japan, 10% of their production of chips is done in Japan, and NONE of the Playbook's chips are made there. It MAY have an ancillary effect though as OTHER TI plants pick up the slack, but we are only talking 10% here.
    03-18-11 10:11 AM
    Being this close to release, one would hope that RIM have all the lego bricks neccessary in their plants to make this thing.

The real problem will come later as the volume of parts of all types for many, many products is slowed by the apalling events in Japan.
    03-18-11 10:22 AM
    SOME TI plants are in Japan, 10% of their production of chips is done in Japan, and NONE of the Playbook's chips are made there. It MAY have an ancillary effect though as OTHER TI plants pick up the slack, but we are only talking 10% here.
    Okay, thanks. You learn something new everyday
    03-18-11 10:29 AM
    This is one of the rare times where not made in Japan is a good thing.
    03-18-11 10:41 AM
    The longer RIM waits to announce and launch the PB the worst it get for them as you all know. Xoom wifi will be released on the 27th and Apple will eventually gets it's inventory up to speed. I hope RIM is closely watching all this and takes the initiative to capitalize on this opportunity.
    03-18-11 10:49 AM
    whispers April First!
    03-18-11 11:25 AM
    whispers April First!
    Stop it!
    03-18-11 11:27 AM
    whispers April First!
    That's almost twisted enough to believe except that if they could release it April 1 why not March 31 so they could say "they met their Q1 deadline."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 02:07 PM
    With the difference in form factor as well as the known differences (Flash, camera quality, OS environment, etc.), it doesn't seem to me that there is a huge group waiting to compare the two.
    03-18-11 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD