I went into my local Staples today in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and asked an employee when the Playbook would be in their store. The lady said, "The Apple Playbook? Hmmmmm." She then asked someone else, who told me that it would be for sale Saturday. I suspect most of the early release rumors are coming from employees like this that think it is an Apple product. Though, that could help sales as the Apple followers will then be buying Playbooks :-)
    03-28-11 10:30 PM
    Hehe that's a good story. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 10:33 PM
    Eh, don't think so, but if you get one post pics and such.
    03-28-11 10:33 PM
    I agree sandmanfvr. I was not putting any faith in these people to know when it would arrive, be released, or even what it is. They did have a display set up, with no Playbook, non-functional demo, or anything besides empty spaces.
    03-28-11 10:38 PM
    It would be funny during all this release bs that somebody got one early and then RIM sees it. OOPS!
    03-28-11 10:43 PM
    When i saw this title i thought apple was going to make 7 inch ipad. And when i saw your post i just started laughing :P. good story haha, it shows how sometimes employees are as uninformed as a 10 y/o kid.
    03-28-11 10:46 PM
    It would be funny during all this release bs that somebody got one early and then RIM sees it. OOPS!
    I am hoping I am one of those people
    03-29-11 12:03 AM
    I'm flying right over.
    03-29-11 12:18 AM
    The sales people at consumer technology stores continue to amaze me. I went to future shop to ask about pre-ordering a PlayBook and they had no idea what I was talking about either. The place is called "FUTURE SHOP". Unbelievable. You'd think if you were working at a technology store that you might just maybe have some sort of interest in technology.

So I ordered from Staples.
    03-29-11 04:43 AM
    Pick a store, any store. At this point its become apparent that we know more than the employees selling them do. It would seem the decision as to where to buy would be something like this now: "Hmmm, I want a Playbook, now where is the absolutely closest store to my house selling them? That's where I'll go!! "
    03-29-11 05:32 AM
    Change the title quick!!!
    If the iHerd saw it they would start queuing up in front of Best Buy and Staples from 10th Apirl onwards to buy the "Apple Playbook". There won't be any left for the rest of us.
    03-29-11 05:32 AM
    When I asked my local Staples manager about the Playbook last week he said "oh, the Microsoft one?"
    03-29-11 06:59 AM
    Change the title quick!!!
    If the iHerd saw it they would start queuing up in front of Best Buy and Staples from 10th Apirl onwards to buy the "Apple Playbook". There won't be any left for the rest of us.
    They got their days confused the lines are today. Ipad2 goes on sale today.
    03-29-11 08:52 AM
    I went into my local Staples today in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and asked an employee when the Playbook would be in their store. The lady said, "The Apple Playbook? Hmmmmm." She then asked someone else, who told me that it would be for sale Saturday. I suspect most of the early release rumors are coming from employees like this that think it is an Apple product. Though, that could help sales as the Apple followers will then be buying Playbooks :-)
    Trust me. Apple followers know that a PlayBook isn't by Apple.
    Comments in this thread on reinforce my thoughts that no one out side the tech world knows anything about this device, not even the ones who will be selling it
    03-29-11 08:56 AM
    Trust me. Apple followers know that a PlayBook isn't by Apple.
    Comments in this thread on reinforce my thoughts that no one out side the tech world knows anything about this device, not even the ones who will be selling it
    Personally, I would change that to "... no one outside the crackberry world...."

Sad but true!

03-29-11 09:11 AM
    You guys laugh but over a week ago when I was hitting all the staples up on the phone one of the customer associates said "we are getting both playbooks; the 10" and the 7"."

Widespread ignorance about this product is evident to me. Some are confusing it with a Xoom and giving xoom dates. Some don't know its a tablet, and never heard of it.

One guy at Office Depot said "we don't carry ipods."

!!!!!

I guess maybe it is bliss.

03-29-11 09:19 AM
    Consumers are generally dumb. i.e. Person sees the Hummer H2 for the first time. "What kind of Jeep is that?"

Salespeople are at times even more dumb. i.e. Ask a car salesman about a new car coming to market that you read about in a magazine, etc. "I don't read about cars I just sell them."

Technology is worse. I have asked various "sales" people about various items and they will read the spec sheet out loud to me.

I look at sales people a little more critical than others might though. I like to be talked to like I would expect my salespeople (employees) to talk to a potential customer. Sometimes I am impressed and offer to higher them other times I might let them know what I thought of their approach.

Perfect example was Adaroma (sp?) Camera in NYC. I sent their sales team a couple questions and they reply was to contact the manufacturer. I rarely purchase on line but when I have to buy something that I can not get locally I go to B&H Photo and not that other camera store.
    03-29-11 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD