i'm starting to notice more television ads for Apple mobile products than ever before (coincidently after the abundance of the PlayBook ads). Once upon a time, they put their ad money in billboards, magazines, and online outlets.

Looks like Steve Jobs is in need of a good face cleaning with all that egg from his DOA statement about 7" tablets.
    05-19-11 09:25 PM
    i'm starting to notice more television ads for Apple mobile products than ever before (coincidently after the abundance of the PlayBook ads). Once upon a time, they put their ad money in billboards, magazines, and online outlets.

Looks like Steve Jobs is in need of a good face cleaning with all that egg from his DOA statement about 7" tablets.
    It's just Apple advertising like they did before. What i'm surprised by is the amount of PlayBook commercials i see daily.
    scorpiodsu and vintagesteez like this.
    05-19-11 09:45 PM
    nervous, no. competitive, yes. its business to keep up with your competitors..
    chiefbroski likes this.
    05-19-11 09:47 PM
    You are not serious are you?
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-19-11 09:47 PM
    nervous, no. competitive, yes. its business to keep up with your competitors..
    competitive because theyre nervous -
    05-19-11 10:10 PM
    ive had many people comment about my pb at airports or on a bus etc. the same comment is "is that an ipad or something?" when i start hearing "is that a playbook or something" from 70+ grandmas and 7 yr old kids then maybe.... maaaaaybe you could say - NO! 'whisper' that apple is getting nervous. till then i dont think apple has reasons to be nervous.
    05-19-11 10:18 PM
    I'm sure they are nervous, most likely about leaks regarding iPhone 5 or the 7" iPad.

But I don't think they're nervous about the PlayBook yet. they are probably watching it; they probably have some that they are evaluating; but I doubt they are nervous about it. Now in a patch or two...then, maybe.
    05-19-11 10:42 PM
    Apple still has a choke hold on the tablet market, however in the same breath I can honestly see a shift happening, a slow one but a shift nonetheless. Put it this way, what are the chances the iPad will remain the most popular tablet forever? Other tablets like the PlayBook are making headway and starting to get more recognition. People are slowly but surely becoming aware that there are more options out there than just the iPad when it comes to tablets.
    05-19-11 11:22 PM
    Apple still has a choke hold on the tablet market, however in the same breath I can honestly see a shift happening, a slow one but a shift nonetheless. Put it this way, what are the chances the iPad will remain the most popular tablet forever? Other tablets like the PlayBook are making headway and starting to get more recognition. People are slowly but surely becoming aware that there are more options out there than just the iPad when it comes to tablets.
    The "chances" question comes down to whether the tablet market is more like the phone market or the music player market, at least when discussing future marketshare. However, in both cases, Apple managed to take the lion share of industry profits, which seems to be their primary goal.
    05-19-11 11:44 PM

Well, 7" tablets certainly aren't DOA per se, but they've yet to sell in the kind of volume that's worrying Apple. The PlayBook's sales are solid thus far, and way ahead of Android tablets, but they're not ready to be favorably compared to iPad sales.
    05-19-11 11:50 PM
    Apple deserves a great thanks for putting tablet computers on the map. They spent hundreds of millions on advertising. Good for playbook. Now many people who may not previously thought about buying a tablet are looking. Steve Jobs said that they have the best size tablet and would never build a seven inch. Thanks also to apple for leading the other tablet makers off the cliff. The seven inch form factor is the best size for portability and comfort. Look around what people are carrying. RIM did and payed careful attention. Once ipad owners find out that they again are left with yet another prettier paper weight, playbook will start making up ground and ipad3 seven inch tab will be playing catch up with the playbook. We told you so. . .
    Last edited by Schlymer; 05-20-11 at 01:05 AM.
    05-20-11 12:10 AM
    Apple is all about marketing. I've had people ask me if my Sirius S50 portable was an iPod and could I help them on how to get music on it. One lady walked away repeating my advice to look for "itunes"... The iPod wasn't the best digital music player available but with Apple's marketing, people came to believe it was the ONLY one...

Just look at their latest marketing slogan: "If you don't have an iPhone, then you don't have an iPhone". Although factually accurate, WTF does that really mean? Nothing really, but it makes people think they are missing out on something...
    chiefbroski likes this.
    05-20-11 12:47 AM
    I've never owned an Apple product. I have no intention of buying any of the current Apple products. I detest iTunes and the ios ecosystem. And I love my BB phones and my PB.

But, come-on, be serious! What have Apple got to be nervous about? The total sales of PB's TO DATE probably don't match maxIpad sales on the first day!

You people need to get a grip. Enjoy your garden and don't stop to worry what your neighbour is doing in his garden.
    Last edited by simsim1000; 05-20-11 at 08:16 AM.
    05-20-11 05:18 AM
    This must be a joke. good one
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-20-11 05:37 AM
    I've never owned an Apple product. I have no intention of buying any of the current Apple products. I detest iTunes and the ios ecosystem. And I love my BB phones and my PB.

But, come-on, be serious! What have Apple got to be nervous about? The total sales of PB's TO DATE probably don't match maxIpad sales on the first day!

You people need to get a grip. Enjoy your garden and don't stop worrying what your neighbour is doing in his garden.
    That's obviously my 'quote of the day'
    05-20-11 05:41 AM

I doubt Steve Jobs is losing sleep over an emailless tablet that sold 250,000 units in its first month. His Ipad did that in minutes.

Not trying to hate, but open your eyes a little bit.
    05-20-11 07:21 AM
    You are not serious are you?
    Yep.
    And apple is.

They know rim started this smartphone game, and over the last few years apple got complacent about thier growing sales because-admittedly- rim got arrogant. They rested on their laurels. And suffered for it.

And rim deserved it.

That being said, this ground breaking device is proving not only itself on the battlefield.....

.....but that RIM is back.

And apple know both it and motorola wouldn't have smartphones that are household names if RIM had not allowed it in the first place.

Apple..... is nervous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 07:39 AM
    Yep.
    And apple is.

They know rim started this smartphone game, and over the last few years apple got complacent about thier growing sales because-admittedly- rim got arrogant. They rested on their laurels. And suffered for it.

And rim deserved it.

That being said, this ground breaking device is proving not only itself on the battlefield.....

.....but that RIM is back.

And apple know both it and motorola wouldn't have smartphones that are household names if RIM had not allowed it in the first place.Apple..... is nervous.

Did they have to get permission to release tablets too?
    05-20-11 07:46 AM
    Did they have to get permission to release tablets too?
    Ah. Sarcasm. See we knew you guys would have little left to respond with and i appreciate you validating my premise within minutes of my post. Feel free to continue doing so.

Anybody employing the least bit of cognitive ability would have read my post and understood i implied that RIM's lack of presence on the battlefield permitted Apple and Motorola to swarm in without resistance. To win a game you cannot stand on the sidelines and turn your nose up; you get out on the field and start fighting.

So i understand your appealing to a lower denominator as a reply; i also understand thats all the sheep have left.

05-20-11 07:57 AM
    Ah. Sarcasm. See we knew you guys would have little left to respond with and i appreciate you validating my premise within minutes of my post. Feel free to continue doing so.

Anybody employing the least bit of cognitive ability would have read my post and understood i implied that RIM's lack of presence on the battlefield permitted Apple and Motorola to swarm in without resistance. To win a game you cannot stand on the sidelines and turn your nose up; you get out on the field and start fighting.

So i understand your appealing to a lower denominator as a reply; i also understand thats all the sheep have left.

Thank you for herding "sheep" into categories for everyone. You should be a forum moderator. For those reading, let's simplify his posts.

Group #1: People who think RIM can do no wrong and that the PlayBook is the first professional grade tablet ever. Amateur hour is over for these people. These are classified as heroes.

Group #2: People who are on the fence about buying the PlayBook, which is why people like myself go to these forums. This group is also categorized along with people that don't like RIM (according to above poster). We are all sheep.

Any questions please hold until the end of class.
    05-20-11 08:11 AM
    That's obviously my 'quote of the day'
    Oops. That typo changed my whole meaning
    05-20-11 08:17 AM
    RIM still has to deliver, and the more I use my PlayBook, the more bugs I find. Lack of ubiquitous web access. Bridge apps are buggy and slow. Core applications that crash or won't even start.

In the PlayBook RIM has an outstanding concept, an OS with great potential, and hardware that can get the job done. Now they need to execute, and quickly.

Thank you for herding "sheep" into categories for everyone. You should be a forum moderator. For those reading, let's simplify his posts.

Group #1: People who think RIM can do no wrong and that the PlayBook is the first professional grade tablet ever. Amateur hour is over for these people. These are classified as heroes.

Group #2: People who are on the fence about buying the PlayBook, which is why people like myself go to these forums. This group is also categorized along with people that don't like RIM (according to above poster). We are all sheep.

Any questions please hold until the end of class.
    You forgot Group #3 - people like me, who bought one and now have issues with the device, but want to "keep the faith" and see RIM correct them. BB users who love the concept and took the plunge, but need RIM to meet the challenge of making this a solid device and platform for business use.

Flash in the browser is great, but that alone doesn't make this better than any other tablet. The whole package needs to work, and RIM will have a great chance to sweep up market share. I want this device to thrive, but right now it is awfully buggy and RIM needs to step up. Only when they do, is there a chance of "scaring" Apple.
    05-20-11 08:23 AM
    I don't imagine apple is too concerned about competetion in the tablet space just yet. The competetion has about 15 million more to go to make a dent in the market. Phones on the other hand are getting very competetive between android & iphone, I wouldn't be surprised if flash makes its way onto iOS in the near future to close that gap.

05-20-11 08:26 AM
    Apple has always advertised a lot and they always showed what their devices are good at unlike RIM and Android manufacturers and carriers. It's RIM the one that is all of a sudden doing more what they should have been doing....... TV advertising. If everything you've been exposed to about Apple has been on billboards and online ads, I'd say you haven't watch TV since the iPhone came out.

And as far as the 7 inch vs 10 inch tablet. I think it's all just user preference. No one should care what Apple says about a 7 inch tablet. Let them analyze the market the way they want and let other companies do the same. I will say that the playbook is the perfect size especially with the fact right now that you need to be bridged to a blackberry to get you PIM functions. So it being 7 inches is good for that. But since there are reports that RIM is coming out with a 10 inch one as well, I'm sure many people who said 7 inches was perfect will change their tune by saying "the screen is just amazing" or something like that. To each it's own.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-20-11 at 08:37 AM.
    05-20-11 08:29 AM
    I don't imagine apple is too concerned about competetion in the tablet space just yet. The competetion has about 15 million more to go to make a dent in the market. Phones on the other hand are getting very competetive between android & iphone, I wouldn't be surprised if flash makes its way onto iOS in the near future to close that gap.

I don't agree. Apple hates the way Adobe does business, and I don't see them budging and letting flash onto their devices. Until all websites use html5, Apple will be at a huge disadvantage as far as flash is concerned.

Also, I think Steve Jobs has to big of an ego to say that he was wrong about Flash, and also the 7 inch form factor not working for a tablet.

Just my honest opinion tho.
    05-20-11 08:30 AM
156 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD