06-10-12 07:18 PM
398 ... 45678 ...
tools
  1. BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    This whole apps vs browser argument is ridiculous.

    Apple didn't "invent" apps, PDAs and smartphones prior to the iPhone had them. When the first iPhone and iPod touch came out, Apple tried to convince everyone that all you needed were web apps (sound familiar?). They changed course the year after and the rest is history.

    Like a lot of things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The browser is quite capable doing things that you would normally do on a PC or Mac. You don't need an app to watch Youtube videos or read the news. You don't need an app to use or read forums. That being said some apps, like bank apps, offer the advantage of streamlining and optimizing the whole user experience. There's less wasted space, and touch points are larger. Other apps are able to run without a data connection, something a browser cannot do. A browser for the most part, is strictly for consumption. When it comes to content creation or editing, you're mostly stuck, unless you have an app.

    Apps serve to expand and unlock the functionality that's in your smartphone or tablet, much like they do on your desktop or notebook. A device without apps is nothing but a glorified PIM manager and web browser...functional yes, but a waste of potential. Just because your usage scenarios doesn't include a lot of apps, doesn't mean it applies to everyone else.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 09:53 AM
  2. Marty_LK's Avatar
    Speaking of customization, here's a good one for you. Can you guess what phone this is?

    Click to view quoted image

    Click to view quoted image
    I would say an Android running ICS and a WP launcher.
    04-30-12 09:53 AM
  3. Chrisy's Avatar
    Hmmmmm, isn't that just icons on a screen?
    That's my point. I have the same thing on my homescreen. Just different looking icons. But when either one of us press that email icon...it opens email. Just because you can change the color of that graphic doesn't mean it works better.

    Isn't that a Windows Phone?
    04-30-12 09:55 AM
  4. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    We could start with the fact that 1/3rd isn't a majority under any reasonable definition.
    No no, that 1/3 was completely stupid sheep that didn't even know what they were buying, the sheep percentage would be much higher.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-30-12 09:57 AM
  5. Chrisy's Avatar
    Hey watch that. My dad thought it was 4G. I haven't told him yet. It doesn't matter. IPhone is all about the placebo effect. Also, the effect of being excluded. If I don't have an iPhone I can't play games with my friends. They do that we'll. It's why I can't view iPhone videos on my Android or BlackBerry.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 10:01 AM.
    joski, Marty_LK and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-30-12 09:58 AM
  6. Economist101's Avatar
    No no, that 1/3 was completely stupid sheep that didn't even know what they were buying, the sheep percentage would be much higher.
    That's an assumption for which you have no support; it would be like me finding a survey that concluded that 20% of BB users don't use BBM at all, and then claiming that means that the other 80% only use it casually.
    04-30-12 10:01 AM
  7. samuel79's Avatar
    No this is not a rant. I've just been thinking a lot about apps on the PlayBook and realized something profound: I don't need that many apps!!!!

    I just had a realization that Apple has brainwashed everyone on the planet into thinking that it is cool to have a tablet with a buttload of apps. Speaking for myself, my PlayBook has TONS of games, but I havent even opened them all, not even close. I've only every played Angry Birds, GLWG and Theme Hotel. THATS IT! And that was only recently; most of the time I've been using the internet for sites like NBA, CrackBerrry, etc. vs their respective apps. Sure I would love more apps, who wouldnt? But what I'm saying is that it isn't a dealbreaker anymore, and I just hope more people realize that and RIM would market it in that way.

    In closing, Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    it is a rant why come on a blackberry forum and talk about CRAP APPLE
    04-30-12 10:02 AM
  8. Chrisy's Avatar
    I love when economist101 comes out!
    04-30-12 10:03 AM
  9. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    That's an assumption for which you have no support; it would be like me finding a survey that concluded that 20% of BB users don't use BBM at all, and then claiming that means that the other 80% only use it casually.
    Well, sometimes it stares at you in the face.
    04-30-12 10:04 AM
  10. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Hmmmmm, isn't that just icons on a screen?
    No, they're a combination of app tiles, live tiles, and folder tiles. But since you're trying to be clever, ALL phones are icons on a screen. That's pretty plain and obvious so I don't point that out any more than I'd say all roads are just connections to destinations

    I would say an Android running ICS and a WP launcher.
    bingo but gingerbread not ICS. I rooted my phone and completely replaced the android stock launcher with Launcher 7. This launcher does such a close job of mimicking WP7.5 Mango that for all intents and purposes, the UI is almost completely the same, right down to the app folders and live tiles. The root allows me to match the UI speed of WP7 pretty closely.

    So basically what I've done here is created a phone that has the same UI as a WP7 but with access to android apps, and google integration. And of course the core OS remains Android, not WP7. The power of android lies in how deeply you can change it. It is potential. But reaching that potential definitely isn't common user friendly.
    04-30-12 10:05 AM
  11. BlackBerry Guy's Avatar
    Can somebody answer me this, if the majority of iphone owners are not sheep, how come one third of iphone 4 owners thought it was 4G?
    The whole Apple naming convention at the time didn't help...since the iPhone 3G was in fact a 3G phone...I guess people expected the 4 to be 4G. It also doesn't help that the carriers also started calling HSPA+ 4G (at least the North American ones), to further confuse the issue.
    04-30-12 10:05 AM
  12. Economist101's Avatar
    Hey watch that. My dad thought it was 4G. I haven't told him yet. It doesn't matter. IPhone is all about the placebo effect.
    Based on Belfast's comment, I guess you're hoping the apple does fall far from the tree (no pun intended).

    If I don't have an iPhone I can't play games with my friends. They do that we'll. It's why I can't view iPhone videos on my Android or BlackBerry.
    Actually no, it's not why. You can't watch iTunes DRM content on your Android or BlackBerry because the content providers demand DRM. It's why BlackBerry can play the DRM-free music, but not movies or television shows.
    04-30-12 10:06 AM
  13. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    I love when economist101 comes out!
    As always trying to change the subject with random comments, no offense to him.
    04-30-12 10:06 AM
  14. Chrisy's Avatar
    Cool. So what happens when you press that phone tile!


    I wish I had that tile! Damn you BlackBerry! Where have folder tiles been all, my, life?! Oh wait....
    04-30-12 10:07 AM
  15. Marty_LK's Avatar
    That's an assumption for which you have no support; it would be like me finding a survey that concluded that 20% of BB users don't use BBM at all, and then claiming that means that the other 80% only use it casually.
    I've experienced the confusion that can happen and iPod is one example. There are quite a few people who refer to all MP3 players as iPods. There are also quite a few who refer to all tablets as iPads. I would say it's safe to assume there are quite a few people who are confused about the model naming of iPhones.
    04-30-12 10:08 AM
  16. Chrisy's Avatar
    Based on Belfast's comment, I guess you're hoping the apple does fall far from the tree (no pun intended).



    Actually no, it's not why. You can't watch iTunes DRM content on your Android or BlackBerry because the content providers demand DRM. It's why BlackBerry can play the DRM-free music, but not movies or television shows.
    Not hoping. I think competition is great. It's just my take on the market direction past and future.

    When my mom records a video and sends it to my Android or BlackBerry I can't view it. You don't call that closed or excluded? It's not by mistake by Apple either. My mom doesn't even have iTunes. I can view videos from Android, Windows and Blackberry phones but not IPhone.
    Again, I don't get this. I don't think has to do with iTunes.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 10:13 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-30-12 10:10 AM
  17. kbz1960's Avatar
    PEOPLE WANT CHOICES. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

    People don't want to go to a grocery store that only has three types of milk, two types of bread, and a choice between turkey and ham lunch meat. THEY WANT CHOICES.
    Yes choice is good I don't want an iphone or an android. I'm glad I can still choose something else.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-30-12 10:11 AM
  18. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Cool. So what happens when you press that phone tile!


    I wish I had that tile! Damn you BlackBerry! Where have folder tiles been all, my, life?! Oh wait....
    I'll answer your question with one of my own can your BB make a single 2x1 tile that will bring up multiple functions depending on where on that tile you press? Can you place a tile that will actively show weather updates or newsfeeds as they occur live?

    Sorry but you did admit you were interested in a windows phone...
    If features as these and folders don't interest you and you're in the camp that believes all you need is a plain 3x4 grid of app icons, why did you say you wanted one?
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 10:14 AM
  19. Chrisy's Avatar
    I'll answer your question with one of my own can your BB make a single 2x1 tile that will bring up multiple functions depending on where on that tile you press? Can you place a tile that will actively show weather updates or newsfeeds as they occur live?

    Sorry but you did admit you were interested in a windows phone...
    If features as these and folders don't interest you and you're in the camp that believes all you need is a plain 3x4 grid of app icons, why did you say you wanted one?
    That pretty cool! Though I'm not sure how it differs from pressing the BlackBerry menu button to display multiple functions. I do like that it may be a quicker way to access options!

    Weather updates and news feeds, all platforms have that, including BlackBerry. I have folders. Are Windows different?

    I'm interested in a Windows phone because I use Windows on my Dell. I want to have my phone and PC sync easily. Right not, I hate Desktop Manager and having to use Google Sync for my BlackBerry. I like how all Apple products sync together flawlessly and easily.

    There are great things aboutevery platform. I haven't tried a Windows phone but I like Windows on my Dell. I like how it is organized. I like how BBOS is organized. IPhone, no. Android is a mess.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 10:22 AM.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-30-12 10:19 AM
  20. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Weather updates and news feeds right on your homescreen, ie. like an android widget? I don't mean news and weather apps, I mean actually seeing it, as it changes, live right on your homescreen. All platforms don't have that, AFAIK only windows live tiles and android widgets can do that. BB10 is introducing a type of live tiles as well, which leaves just apple by that point.
    04-30-12 10:23 AM
  21. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    I'll answer your question with one of my own can your BB make a single 2x1 tile that will bring up multiple functions depending on where on that tile you press? Can you place a tile that will actively show weather updates or newsfeeds as they occur live?

    Sorry but you did admit you were interested in a windows phone...
    If features as these and folders don't interest you and you're in the camp that believes all you need is a plain 3x4 grid of app icons, why did you say you wanted one?
    Yes you can, there's apps that can get the wallpaper to show all that info or individual apps that will show newsfeeds. Some themes can put a weather icon on screen to, active weather icon.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 10:24 AM
  22. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    Weather updates and news feeds right on your homescreen, ie. like an android widget? I don't mean news and weather apps, I mean actually seeing it, as it changes, live right on your homescreen. All platforms don't have that, AFAIK only windows live tiles and android widgets can do that. BB10 is introducing a type of live tiles as well, which leaves just apple by that point.
    I have news for you, BB has that too, had it on my 9700, it shows the wallpaper as weather and it updates it when the weather changes.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-30-12 10:26 AM
  23. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Dammmit, now I want BB themes on the PB even more than I did before! 6 more months is going to be an eternity for my tech addiction
    04-30-12 10:27 AM
  24. Chrisy's Avatar
    Yeah, belfastdispatcher is right. All platforms have the live weather and news now. Widgets are cool. I said I loved them on my Android. By cool I mean useful. Not just a novelty.
    04-30-12 10:28 AM
  25. omniusovermind's Avatar
    I have news for you, BB has that too, had it on my 9700, it shows the wallpaper as weather and it updates it when the weather changes.
    ok how about this then:

    An Engadget news feed widget, plus a weather widget, plus a wifi/bluetooth/display brightness toggle widget, all on the same screen!

    ha? ha?
    04-30-12 10:29 AM
398 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD