The problem is actually that people on the forum seriously believe this problem exists. Use what devices you want to use, and don't worry about what others are using. It's a pretty common sense solution.
    The problem seems that more and more people in the world today fail to display good common sense anymore and do not select the device that might actually serve their needs better, but go for the shiny new product with the best advertising and that they think everybody else is using so it must be the best.
    04-30-12 03:26 PM

It's just like saying "Well, Mr. X was poor and now he's a billionaire. I am not as poor as he was, which implies I have a very good chance of becoming a billionaire."
    No its not.

You can't compare everything with a certain logic.
    It's like the previous genius comment in this thread about Ford and iPhone.

The world's first commercially available car with a combustible engine that sparked a revolution in transport against a piece of well marketed hardware with a glossy finish.

No way are these comparable.
    04-30-12 03:28 PM
    Does that mean that they have to force him out first and then bring him back to be successful, or does that mean they have to bring back the founder that resigned to be successful again like Apple did? I think neither as this is a different, yet seemingly similar set of circumstances in my opinion. BTW, if I told you what the future will bring it would spoil the surprise not to mention ruin the stock market and Vegas.
    microsoft saved the bitten fruit,not jobs.
    anon(1464249) likes this.
    04-30-12 03:36 PM
    No its not.

You can't compare everything with a certain logic.
    It's like the previous genius comment in this thread about Ford and iPhone.

The world's first commercially available car with a combustible engine that sparked a revolution in transport against a piece of well marketed hardware with a glossy finish.

No way are these comparable.
    It is in the sense that both examples use history of an outlier to infer something about the future.

Moreover, it was you who compared the incomparable - the market/industry in the 90s and the market now.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-30-12 at 03:44 PM.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    04-30-12 03:41 PM
    The problem is actually that people on the forum seriously believe this problem exists. Use what devices you want to use, and don't worry about what others are using. It's a pretty common sense solution.
    I agree with the common sense comment, but that's hard to ignore when you're being called out constantly and attacked for using a Blackberry. It's not just this forum, it happens in everyday life. "BlackBerry Sucks!", "Why don't you have an iPhone", "When are you stepping into 2012?". See the problem? And yes, I have heard each of these comments more than once to my face. A lot of these users came from feature phones and have NEVER used a BlackBerry!

Maybe it's because I work with 20 somethings, who knows, but there is a problem there. Whether you see it or not.
    triplealiali likes this.
    04-30-12 03:44 PM
    The problem seems that more and more people in the world today fail to display good common sense anymore and do not select the device that might actually serve their needs better, but go for the shiny new product with the best advertising and that they think everybody else is using so it must be the best.
    You mean the same way people used to act with Blackberries? Seriously, you people need to have better memories.

And if you are having this problem with certain people, does it really matter? This sort of technology 'geek war' has existed as long as technology has.

I have always used Mac's for work, and 10 years ago I would constantly get insulted for using them by PC users. It didn't affect me in the slightest as I used the product I liked to use. Now Apple products are cool. Crazy the way things work. But actually getting upset or feeling victimized over it is completely ridiculous. It's just a phone/tablet.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 04-30-12 at 04:25 PM.
    04-30-12 03:44 PM
    microsoft saved the bitten fruit,not jobs.
    MS can't even save WP. Even though MS bailed out Apple doesn't mean they saved them. If it wasn't for Jobs and his counter-traditional business philosophy, Apple would have still been in the toilet regardless of however much money MS gave it.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-30-12 03:47 PM
    Anyone remember Apple when they forced out Jobs....?
    I remember. I also remember what came next. . . 12 years of sliding. When did it get fixed? After he came back. So you'll have to explain how this supports your RIM argument, unless your claim is that things will get better starting in 2024 when Mike and Jim return, and that by 2039 RIM will be the world's most valuable company. Stranger things have happened I guess, but what happened with Apple isn't the kind of thing that will happen over and over again to other companies. There was a lot of timing and luck alongside the strategy and R&D.
    kennyliu and Marty_LK like this.
    04-30-12 03:47 PM
    It is in the sense that both examples use history of an outlier to infer something about the future.

Moreover, it was you who compared the incomparable.
    Did not actually.
    04-30-12 03:50 PM
    I remember. I also remember what came next. . . 12 years of sliding. When did it get fixed? After he came back. So you'll have to explain how this supports your RIM argument, unless your claim is that things will get better starting in 2024 when Mike and Jim return, and that by 2039 RIM will be the world's most valuable company. Stranger things have happened I guess, but what happened with Apple isn't the kind of thing that will happen over and over again to other companies. There was a lot of timing and luck alongside the strategy and R&D.
    I was referring to the moment they rehired him and his "neXt" platform was used as a basis for the current mac OS.

They brought in someone with a new look, a new vision. Heinz?
    I'm not saying Mike or Jim will return, in fact I'm hoping they don't. I'm saying that one man with a strong vision can change a lot if he has the means.

And please Apple is not the most valuable company in the world. It's the most valuable company in the world in terms of market capitalization. Two different things.
    04-30-12 04:02 PM
    MS can't even save WP. Even though MS bailed out Apple doesn't mean they saved them. If it wasn't for Jobs and his counter-traditional business philosophy, Apple would have still been in the toilet regardless of however much money MS gave it.
    Gates/MS were mandatory, yet not sufficient, may I say. Jobs knew it, be it the only reason he made a pact with what he swore the evil was.
    04-30-12 04:04 PM
    bailout=saved company.
    04-30-12 04:19 PM
    They brought in someone with a new look, a new vision. Heinz?
    I'm not saying Mike or Jim will return, in fact I'm hoping they don't. I'm saying that one man with a strong vision can change a lot if he has the means.
    It's actually Heins, not "Heinz" and he's not Steve Jobs. He might be Tim Cook, but I'm not sure we can go that far yet.

And please Apple is not the most valuable company in the world. It's the most valuable company in the world in terms of market capitalization. Two different things.
    Actually no, they're not two different things in most cases; market capitalization is the statistic that's generally used.

The World's 25 Most Valuable Companies: Apple Is Now On Top - Forbes

Now, if you prefer another standard, that's up to you. Here in the U.S. we use miles and pounds, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the rest of the world is on meters and grams, and to quibble with me using the generally accepted standard just makes you seem argumentative.
    Marty_LK, kennyliu and brucep1 like this.
    04-30-12 04:23 PM
    bailout=saved company.
    Not quite. Without the proper strategy that money would've been gone in 6 months. As the old saying goes, you don't solve money problems with money.
    Last edited by Economist101; 04-30-12 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Typo
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-30-12 04:26 PM
    It's actually Heins, not "Heinz" and he's not Steve Jobs. He might be Tim Cook, but I'm not sure we can go that far yet.

Actually no, they're not two different things in most cases; market capitalization is the statistic that's generally used.

The World's 25 Most Valuable Companies: Apple Is Now On Top - Forbes

Now, if you prefer another standard, that's up to you. Here in the U.S. we use miles and pounds, but that doesn't change the fact that most of the rest of the world is on meters and grams, and to quibble with me using the generally accepted standard just makes you seem argumentative.
    Heins. My bad, my Playbook actually auto corrected it in Heinz.
    And I'm not saying he's Jobs, I don't want him to be. I'm saying his arrival can be the tipping point.

And they are 2 different things.
    While you do acknowledge market capitalization is used as the statistic, referring to it as just "most valuable" is wrong.

There is no "most valuable" company, and if there is, it will be different to different people. They are implying "market capitalization". I find it sloppy journalism.

Your last paragraph is a cheap blow below the belt. So I will refrain from responding to it with the exception of this, just because almost every reporter in the states uses the same phrasing doesn't make it a standard. It makes it bad reporting.
    04-30-12 04:45 PM
    You mean the same way people used to act with Blackberries? Seriously, you people need to have better memories.
    AMEN!!

FINALLY!!!

Someone finally remembers that once-upon-a-time almost EVERYONE wanted a BB.

Apple is having it's day in the spotlight and everyone else is a victim?? And all of it us used to spur Anti-American sentiment(as usual) and another American company is the proverbial Big Bad Wolf.

Gimme a break.
    Marty_LK and kennyliu like this.
    04-30-12 06:10 PM
    No this is not a rant. I've just been thinking a lot about apps on the PlayBook and realized something profound: I don't need that many apps!!!!

I just had a realization that Apple has brainwashed everyone on the planet into thinking that it is cool to have a tablet with a buttload of apps. Speaking for myself, my PlayBook has TONS of games, but I havent even opened them all, not even close. I've only every played Angry Birds, GLWG and Theme Hotel. THATS IT! And that was only recently; most of the time I've been using the internet for sites like NBA, CrackBerrry, etc. vs their respective apps. Sure I would love more apps, who wouldnt? But what I'm saying is that it isn't a dealbreaker anymore, and I just hope more people realize that and RIM would market it in that way.

In closing, Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    Not everything is about using an app to replace a website.

Scenarios for Apps on mobile devices
    • Document editing, ReaddleDocs, DocsToGo, Adobe PDF, OneNote, CHM Viewer, Presentations, Spreadsheets
    • Password lockers like eWallet
    • RSA SecurID
    • Citrix
    • GoogleEarth
    • Music discovery like Shazam, Soundhound, Pandora
    • RDP, VNC like JumpDesktop, LogMeIn, Splashtop
    • GoFlexMedia/Kenningston wireless hard access
    • System Utilities like, System Status etc
    • Other utilities like Handy Level, various calculators, etc.
    • Voice note applications like Quick Voice
    • AlarmTunes (and other Alarm Clocks too many to list)
    • Art/Drawing apps like SketchBook Pro, Autocad, Adobe and many others
    • Home Theater/Streaming Media devices like Google TV, Apple TV, etc
    • Camera Apps (Too many to list)
    • Video Streaming Apps (Too many to list)
    • Video Tools (Too many to list)
    • Music production, manipulation' (Too many to list, check here proaudiotools.com)
    • Network utilities (wifi, ping, scan etc, too many to list)
    • File compression apps, like winzip
    • GPS Apps (Too many to list)
    • Document Scanners
    • Bar/QRC code scanners
    • Payment systems like Square / American Express
    • TV Remote control apps
    • Stereo Remote control apps
    • Car Alarm Apps (controls car alarm, auto start etc)
    • Home automation apps
    • Interactive Books, like the Dr. Seuss series.
    • Remote IP camera control
    • Health monitoring apps (requires additional hardware)
    • Interactive Learning apps like SkySafari or Elements (Too many to list)
    • And of course, games

Probably missed some categories. The brainwashing argument is a classic defense mechanism. Later on when BB10 and Appworld have app parity you won't see these kinds of post so much.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04-30-12 at 06:28 PM.
    04-30-12 06:24 PM
    Pay Your Taxes.

Quit making your manufacturing partners workers want to jump off roofs.

Otherwise, good products, excellent salesmanship - (ie Mad Men)
    04-30-12 06:29 PM
    There is no "most valuable" company, and if there is, it will be different to different people. They are implying "market capitalization". I find it sloppy journalism.
    The company I work for values providing a means by which people can support themselves and their families above all. We also strive to provide for as many people as possible. If i apply the same logic to assess the most valuable company in the world, Walmart is about 4x bigger than the second place organization IBM. In our case, the answer to the question...Which is better, A: providing enough money to the most people or B: providing the most money to a few people we'll take A everyday.
    04-30-12 06:31 PM
    Well, currently apps are the fastest way to perform a task on a mobile device. Without apps, consumers won't switch.
    Unless they are re-educated (deprogramed) come my little chickadees set your free from the crutch that is apps
    04-30-12 06:42 PM
    Unless they are re-educated (deprogramed) come my little chickadees set your free from the crutch that is apps
    What's you solution to the list posted, such as Citrix, RSA, Music production, Art, Photography, etc.. Do you have a website that can use the camera app?

The re-education on how to get away from the browser started around June 2008. It's an app world in mobile. People can fight it, but it will have the same effect as a grain of sand in a hurricane.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 04-30-12 at 06:58 PM.
    torndownunit likes this.
    04-30-12 06:51 PM
    I love this forum.
    04-30-12 07:35 PM
    You being serious?
    Worlds first affordable combustible engine car vs iPhone.

Brilliant.
    No, worlds first affordable combustible engine car vs. horse.

They both get you where you want to go. If you get there, what does it matter how long it takes, or how uncomfortable the ride is?

I'm sure there were quite the arguments about how the horse was so much better as well, and it's all marketing putting the stables out of business.

The point is RIM needs to build a better horse (and yeah I know you can't build a horse). They came up with a great product, and didn't think anything better could show, so didn't innovate.
    04-30-12 08:07 PM
    No, worlds first affordable combustible engine car vs. horse.

They both get you where you want to go. If you get there, what does it matter how long it takes, or how uncomfortable the ride is?

I'm sure there were quite the arguments about how the horse was so much better as well, and it's all marketing putting the stables out of business.

The point is RIM needs to build a better horse (and yeah I know you can't build a horse). They came up with a great product, and didn't think anything better could show, so didn't innovate.
    I really feel sorry for their mechanics. It would take a strong constitution to fix a horse.
    04-30-12 08:11 PM
    This was just a thread I started to share a realization about the PlayBook and apps. Now people are talking about horses and engines LOL
    04-30-12 08:13 PM
398 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD