No, no. You are wrong. The PB was designed that way, because it doesn't need apps. We, the people, don't need apps. This is just RIM freeing out minds.

The drive to get developers to create apps for PB? It was a clever red herring!

You see... apps are a crutch. Yes, they increase productivity, but TRUST ME: it is brainwashing. Trust me.

It's like a horse salesman telling someone who wants a car "Yo, we don't have an engine in this 4-legged beast, but a saddle is all you need! Those car dealerships have brainwashed you!"

It makes sense. Almost.
    LOL

But, the same people who insist that "apps don't matter," are telling us Cascades is a comin', and then just watch the apps overflow. Now, this, I truly believe, does not make any sense.
    04-30-12 12:27 PM
    Apple can set whatever retail pricing they want. The market allows them to. Good for them making huge profit. Its a business. They have no competition in the tablet industry yet for example. Why on earth would a company lower their gross profit when their product is selling so well and constantly selling out? My products I have a ceiling because I have competition. I can't be over priced. Until Apple has a real competitor out there they will make their boat loads of money. Good for them.
    Now, you stop right there! You're being too logical.
    04-30-12 12:28 PM
    Oh, yes, indeed it does, when it doesn't give me my bank or my major newspapers (yes, the apps are different than the web sites alone) or eBay or Paypal -amongst other things. You, yourself, assured me that they would be coming with Cascades, so apparently, you admit they matter, don't you?
    I said they likely would. I never said they reliably would. I'm just a customer predicting. Not an insider or deity. I can't even tell whether RIM will remain solvent by the end of the year. In fact, I find it fascinating RIM hasn't folded up yet when other companies in as bad a condition as they are folded a long time ago. But I do hope they continue and if they do, and put out BB10 and Cascades, things are likely to get much better.

By the way, I was predicting about those high-profile apps based on this Crackberry article

Yeah, they do matter, no doubt. But if a person can get by with what is currently offered, why not, and wait patiently for the other stuff...if the system takes off and becomes a market force.
    04-30-12 12:34 PM
    Apple can set whatever retail pricing they want. The market allows them to. Good for them making huge profit. Its a business. They have no competition in the tablet industry yet for example. Why on earth would a company lower their gross profit when their product is selling so well and constantly selling out? My products I have a ceiling because I have competition. I can't be over priced. Until Apple has a real competitor out there they will make their boat loads of money. Good for them.
    Yeah, good for them but thats not something a user should be proud of, it basically means the user was ripped off, no matter how good the product might be. Reminds me of how house prices were hugely inflated.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-30-12 12:37 PM
    No, no. You are wrong. The PB was designed that way, because it doesn't need apps. We, the people, don't need apps. This is just RIM freeing out minds.

The drive to get developers to create apps for PB? It was a clever red herring!

You see... apps are a crutch. Yes, they increase productivity, but TRUST ME: it is brainwashing. Trust me.

It's like a horse salesman telling someone who wants a car "Yo, we don't have an engine in this 4-legged beast, but a saddle is all you need! Those car dealerships have brainwashed you!"

It makes sense. Almost.
    ...which was my initial point
    04-30-12 12:38 PM
    I said they likely would. I never said they reliably would. I'm just a customer predicting. Not an insider or deity. I can't even tell whether RIM will remain solvent by the end of the year. In fact, I find it fascinating RIM hasn't folded up yet when other companies in as bad a condition as they are folded a long time ago. But I do hope they continue and if they do, and put out BB10 and Cascades, things are likely to get much better.

By the way, I was predicting about those high-profile apps based on this Crackberry article

Yeah, they do matter, no doubt. But if a person can get by with what is currently offered, why not, and wait patiently for the other stuff...if the system takes off and becomes a market force.

Bad condition? Dude, how can you call a company with lots of cash in the bank and no debt in bad condition? Think about it for a second.
    04-30-12 12:45 PM
    ...which was my initial point
    It was? Really? Oookey dookey........
    04-30-12 12:46 PM
    Bad condition? Dude, how can you call a company with lots of cash in the bank and no debt in bad condition? Think about it for a second.
    So all of the stories about RIM being in financially bad condition and losing more and more marketshare are lies? When the same stories were presenting Palm and HP's tablet effort with the same intensity, those company's efforts were soon dead.

If RIM is in good enough condition to remain in business, wonderful! That would certainly make me more personally positive about the PB's future. But from all the media talk, RIM has one leg in the grave.
    04-30-12 12:50 PM
    So all of the stories about RIM being in financially bad condition and losing more and more marketshare are lies? When the same stories were presenting Palm and HP's tablet effort with the same intensity, those company's efforts were soon dead.

If RIM is in good enough condition to remain in business, wonderful! That would certainly make me more personally positive about the PB's future. But from all the media talk, RIM has one leg in the grave.
    Palm was up to their eyes in debt, Rim ain't. I wouldn't listen to all the stories.
    04-30-12 12:59 PM

In closing, Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    It's not about Apple being smart, it's about people being dumb.
    I'm not saying everyone with an iPhone is dumb, there are people out there that bought one after concluding they want one all by themselves, unfortunately lots of iPhone owners just bought one cause "they're cool" or "my friend has one".

Anyone ever seen Apple's first television ad for the macintosh?
    They unload some criticism on people following the masses like sheep and urge them not to.

Look what they have become....

I can only applaud Apple's marketing team changing their ethics and putting together ads that turn people into mindless zombies and leaves them thinking they need an iProduct or they're morons. The morons.

As said, not everyone with an iPhone is a moron. If you own one and feel like I'm talking about you then I'm sorry but you are a.......
    04-30-12 01:00 PM
    Is this the reason that rim's first bb10 phone won't have buttons?
    Probably..lol
    It has become what people expect...like in some countries stores charge you for a carrier bag and try and convince you its for the environment..when it's just about profit.
    04-30-12 01:03 PM

What stories? RIM doesn't have debt and their userbase rises year after year. It wouldn't hurt reading some of RIM's financial publications instead of reading prechewed articles in the media.

In other news, the world will end in December. Good luck I guess.
    04-30-12 01:04 PM
    I'm not saying everyone with an iPhone is dumb, there are people out there that bought one after concluding they want one all by themselves, unfortunately lots of iPhone owners just bought one cause "they're cool" or "my friend has one".

Anyone ever seen Apple's first television ad for the macintosh?
    They unload some criticism on people following the masses like sheep and urge them not to.

Look what they have become....

I can only applaud Apple's marketing team changing their ethics and putting together ads that turn people into mindless zombies and leaves them thinking they need an iProduct or they're morons. The morons.

As said, not everyone with an iPhone is a moron. If you own one and feel like I'm talking about you then I'm sorry but you are a.......
    Well, BlackBerry has been sailing by for quite a while now on the strength of its previous reputation and cache, even as they have sank behind in technology in their smartphones.
    04-30-12 01:09 PM
    What stories? RIM doesn't have debt and their userbase rises year after year. It wouldn't hurt reading some of RIM's financial publications instead of reading prechewed articles in the media.

In other news, the world will end in December. Good luck I guess.
    Oh sure, that's where to look for the truth about RIM, from one of their financial publications. What does the Wall Street Journal know?
    04-30-12 01:14 PM
    RIM has:
    • Devoted huge resources towards Blackberry App World
    • Devoted huge resources towards their SDK
    • Devoted huge resources towards Android App player on OS 2.0
    • Devoted huge resources to attracting App developers to PlayBook
    • Advertised the importance of Cascade API
    • Supported the installation of third-party apps on their devices long before you ever could on an iPod, iPhone or iPad

But, if you own an Apple device you're a brainwashed sheep because Apple has tricked you into believing Apps are important.

Perhaps the creator and proponents of this topic need to rethink exactly who is the brainwashed bovid.
    04-30-12 01:18 PM
    Well, BlackBerry has been sailing by for quite a while now on the strength of its previous reputation and cache, even as they have sank behind in technology in their smartphones.
    I'm genuinely worried you're being serious.

Previous reputation of blackberry? I'm pretty sure they have a "best device for email" reputation since day one and they still do today.

Sank behind in technology? Oh it must mean they don't have a blackberry with a quadcore cpu. If not I don't know what you mean...
    If only my blackberry had a quadcore so I could fry my eggs on it.
    The OS is dated but BB10 is in development and is soon to be unveiled.
    04-30-12 01:22 PM
    I'm genuinely worried you're being serious.

Previous reputation of blackberry? I'm pretty sure they have a "best device for email" reputation since day one and they still do today.

Sank behind in technology? Oh it must mean they don't have a blackberry with a quadcore cpu. If not I don't know what you mean...
    If only my blackberry had a quadcore so I could fry my eggs on it.
    The OS is dated but BB10 is in development and is soon to be unveiled.
    I see nothing wrong with the tech RIM is using. The PB is right up there with the latest iPad tech and is a marvel of engineering. But RIM's fortunes aren't so rosy these days because of consumer interest in alternatives.
    04-30-12 01:24 PM
    RIM has:
    • Supported the installation of third-party apps on their devices long before you ever could on an iPod, iPhone or iPad

But, if you own an Apple device you're a brainwashed sheep because Apple has tricked you into believing Apps are important.

Perhaps the creator and proponents of this topic need to rethink exactly who is the brainwashed bovid.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I said that Apple led the masses - whether you own/don't own/like/dislike/care/not care about Apple or Apple products - into believing that apps are so important that you would need one for everything. But having used the PlayBook for a while, I found out for myself that it's not the case for MYSELF, and wanted to know what others thought.

I just proposed that Apple had "brainwashed" people into thinking that apps were the most important thing, whether you own an iDevice or not. It wasn't meant to be taken literally, "brainwashed" was a just a figure of speech...
    Marty_LK likes this.
    RIM has:
    And where has it gotten them?
    It wouldn't hurt reading some of RIM's financial publications instead of reading prechewed articles in the media..
    Good point; let's take a look at their recent reports. In their last report, RIM reported a GAAP net loss of $125 million:

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...ss_release.pdf

In the previous report, they wrote down PlayBook inventory by $485 million:

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...nformation.pdf

Neither of these results are healthy, and both were reported by RIM long before they appeared in "prechewed" media articles. So while the media has been piling on RIM, it's not completely without cause.
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-30-12 01:25 PM
    Hmm... Let's change a couple words in that and see how it reads...

It's not about Ford being smart, it's about people being dumb.
    I'm not saying everyone with a Model-T is dumb, there are people out there that bought one after concluding they want one instead of a horse, unfortunately lots of car owners just bought one cause "they're cool" or "my friend has one".
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-30-12 01:31 PM
    Oh sure, that's where to look for the truth about RIM, from one of their financial publications. What does the Wall Street Journal know?
    I'm not saying that is the place to look, I'm saying you should formulate your own opinion from different sources. The WSJ is still a privately held firm and I'm sure we all know not to trust everything that gets published.

You do realize most of these articles are detailing RIM's dealings in US and Canada and conveniently forget the rest of the world.
    04-30-12 01:33 PM
    I dunno, I have friends with iPhones.

From talking to them, they like them because they 'just work'. After saying this I usually get to hear about how all their devices synch wirelessly and quickly.

Did Apple / RIM / Who Cares create the need for apps or did they create an eco system where 'they' don't have to develop everything for everyone?

I tend to fall in the ladder. While Apple was slow to grasp the concept of apps, they did grasp it. They hooked it all up in an infrastructure that 'just works' with other Apple devices. Apple (from what I can see) looked at where devices were and proceeded to take them to where they could be.

I don't begrudge Apple or any company this, it led them to a market advantage and forced some innovation. Now other companies seem to have caught up with Apple, so where will the next big innovation come from?

I'm kind of hoping it'll be RIM -BUT- they will have to do a lot to change how they are being portrayed in the media. There's a lot of hateraide out there waiting for them to fail.
    04-30-12 01:35 PM
    Hmm... Let's change a couple words in that and see how it reads...

It's not about Ford being smart, it's about people being dumb.
    I'm not saying everyone with a Model-T is dumb, there are people out there that bought one after concluding they want one instead of a horse, unfortunately lots of car owners just bought one cause "they're cool" or "my friend has one".
    You being serious?
    Worlds first affordable combustible engine car vs iPhone.

Brilliant.
    04-30-12 01:36 PM
398 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD