i believe samsung is the biggest seller at the mo.....
    04-30-12 08:39 AM
    I'm sorry but I was talking about the iPhone to spell it out for you.. My blackberry phone has a lot of buttons.. buttons which get me through the day.. x2 the speed.. and bezel gestures any day own the home button (which is really a lost cause)
    Oh ok. Buttons on phone are efficient, but buttons on a tablet cause a lack of production. Got it.
    04-30-12 08:39 AM
    To be fair one button is less useful than lots of buttons. ;p
    04-30-12 08:40 AM
    stop arguing about buttons dammmit. Can you not see that I made a post with pretty colors in it!??!
    Chrisy and brucep1 like this.
    04-30-12 08:41 AM
    it does seem a bit rich that the bb phone is lambasted for having buttons, and then the PB is shot down because it doesnt have any lol
    04-30-12 08:42 AM
    i have buttons on my jeans, but a zipper on my pants.....what does that mean?
    04-30-12 08:43 AM
    My parents call that button the "oh crap" button on their iPhone. They press it whenever they accidentally open a menu or option they didn't mean to!
    You can say your not a fan. But you are. You defend as much as anyone on here. It's not so much even defending but the overall picture of the smartphone market and conservative needs and wants is interesting.

I think iPhone trend is waning.
    Again, I do NOT own an iPhone, but the premise of this thread is that same old line that iPhone users are sheep and that people simply buy it because of slick marketing and while there maybe a few people that fall into the hype, I doubt overall that apples success is from selling a subpar product.

Your folks own one. Do you think it is a good fit for them, or do you think that they have been brainwashed? Iphone has the highest satisfaction rate for any smartphone by the way.

Again, I do not personally own an iPhone, but most people I know who has one, loves it.
    Oh ok. Buttons on phone are efficient, but buttons on a tablet cause a lack of production. Got it.
    Buttons on a tablet is called a netbook?
    it does seem a bit rich that the bb phone is lambasted for having buttons, and then the PB is shot down because it doesnt have any lol
    Because the playbook has a solution much more elegant than one giant button. Gestures are quicker, intuitive and just useful. That's why BB10 will outsell iPhone quickly. It's an innovation. It's better than the one navigation button.

On current BlackBerry phones I think they mean the physical keyboard.
    04-30-12 08:45 AM
    Heh, I rarely ever use my laptop anymore and my desktop has been off for months. I do everything from my phone and tablet.

I think I'll give up on trying to explain how much faster and productive I am with apps over the browser
    You'll never be faster using an app, never. Why? You have no tabs, with the browser you can have 20 tabs open and do (hings a lot faster. With apps you're limited to one screen at the time. Apps will always do a mediocre jobs of what a laptop can do.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 08:46 AM
    so...apple a genius?.....discuss.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 08:47 AM
    Again, I do NOT own an iPhone, but the premise of this thread is that same old line that iPhone users are sheep and that people simply buy it because of slick marketing and while there maybe a few people that fall into the hype, I doubt overall that apples success is from selling a subpar product.

Your folks own one. Do you think it is a good fit for them, or do you think that they have been brainwashed? Iphone has the highest satisfaction rate for any smartphone by the way.

Again, I do not personally own an iPhone, but most people I know who has one, loves it.
    It's perfect for them! They own it because it's the most user friendly phone even a child could use it. Previously they had a landline. Thank god the iPhone is simple. Secondly, they like the big screen. They can't see anything smaller.

My mom has one app. Live Profile. My dad, as I mentioned, downloads tons of apps he doesn't use. Otherwise, he uses the basic functions like email.

Form over function is eye candy and is short lived. Function over form is the winner in the long run and what makes a product stay. Poor Apple.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 08:50 AM.
    04-30-12 08:48 AM
    You'll never be faster using an app, never. Why? You have no tabs, with the browser you can have 20 tabs open and do (hings a lot faster. With apps you're limited to one screen at the time. Apps will always do a mediocre jobs of what a laptop can do.
    you have made a good point, pretty much any laptop will out perform a tablet.

And believe it or not, some are even cheaper...
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 08:48 AM
    Isn't that really the case? Ill repeat an incidence.. So my friend tries to play a blu-ray disc in her macbook pro because she refused to accept that the mac could not play it? So before we gave her the BD.. we joked around for a bit and tried explaining that it's a technology that the mac isn't ready for yet.. and her obvious reply.. 'i just spent a fortune on the best laptop in the market.. so pass me the disc..' you kknow how that ended..

Apple products do well because.. kids can use them.. women can use them (no offence).. grand parents can use them.. and all because it has that 'oh crap' button.. nothin special about it.. Apple is truly genius for catering to this market.. but not genius in their product.
    abramadhi and triplealiali like this.
    04-30-12 08:49 AM
    Isn't that really the case? Ill repeat an incidence.. So my friend tries to play a blu-ray disc in her macbook pro because she refused to accept that the mac could not play it? So before we gave her the BD.. we joked around for a bit and tried explaining that it's a technology that the mac isn't ready for yet.. and her obvious reply.. 'i just spent a fortune on the best laptop in the market.. so pass me the disc..' you kknow how that ended..

Apple products do well because.. kids can use them.. women can use them (no offence).. grand parents can use them.. and all because it has that 'oh crap' button.. nothin special about it.. Apple is truly genius for catering to this market.. but not genius in their product.
    women can use them? Oh dear, emily pankhurst must be rolling in her grave lol
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 08:51 AM
    No one said sheep or brain washed in this thread that I read. I said what strengths I think the iPhone has. Big screen, easy to use. Though the easy to use will be outdone by BB10 phones.

I'd say the iPhone is great for non tech people. People who like to play on their phones and for those that need reading glasses.
    joski likes this.
    04-30-12 08:54 AM
    Which begs the question, if RIM wants Apple's success, you're saying the key is to just make the device user friendly?

If the solution was that simple, dont you think they would have done this by now?
    04-30-12 08:56 AM
    It's perfect for them! They own it because it's the most user friendly phone even a child could use it. Previously they had a landline. Thank god the iPhone is simple. Secondly, they like the big screen. They can't see anything smaller.

My mom has one app. Live Profile. My dad, as I mentioned, downloads tons of apps he doesn't use. Otherwise, he uses the basic functions like email.
    Exactly! The iPhone works for a lot of people.

This thread started on the premise that apple sells a product based on gimmicks and that isn't true.

I think that most smartphone buyers are not power users, but still want much of the functionality that a smartphone can offer. They don't, however, want to spend hours on a site such as this, just to figure out how to use their phone.

When bb was the king, this forum was booming with post after post asking how to change the ringtone or wallpaper. Thread after thread with instructions for reloading the os. Now there are better options for the casual user.
    04-30-12 08:57 AM
    I think part of it would to be more user friendly, yes. I think the PlayBook is very user friendly. The OS makes sense and is efficient. Maybe that's one reason RIM is transitioning to the QNX?
    04-30-12 08:59 AM
    Exactly! The iPhone works for a lot of people.

This thread started on the premise that apple sells a product based on gimmicks and that isn't true.

I think that most smartphone buyers are not power users, but still want much of the functionality that a smartphone can offer. They don't, however, want to spend hours on a site such as this, just to figure out how to use their phone.

When bb was the king, this forum was booming with post after post asking how to change the ringtone or wallpaper. Thread after thread with instructions for reloading the os. Now there are better options for the casual user.

The idea that it's the app though IS the marketing of the iPhone. That's the false sense of need. In that regard, it is a gimmicky way to market. That's what I think will wear off.

The 60+ folks will probably stay with iPhone. Maybe even elementary school kids. The rest, the majority, folks 20-50 will start returning to the device that does what it does well. Messaging, keeping in touch, keeping us organized.

It's just my opinion, mind you, that Apple and Android are a flash in the pan. Bright and quick like a dying star.

Out of curiosity...what device are you using the to read and reply to this thread? Be honest!

By you the way the Apple stored that I see are constantly packed full of people needing help with their Apple device. We just happen to have a great forum for that instead.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 09:05 AM.
    joski likes this.
    04-30-12 09:03 AM
    Well since this thread is now spawning numerous topic tentacles I'm going to throw another one into the mix If you're looking to unseat iPhone as the reigning champ, then to be downright blunt with you guys, I'm really starting to believe WP8 is going to have the highest chance of doing so out of MS, Android, and RIM. They have the money, they have the resources, they have developer support, and they have the technical expertise to pull it off, and lastly they have one big fat trump card: WP8 is designed to seamlessly integrate with Windows 8 Tablets and PC's, and currently as of this post, Microsoft has a Windows PC in approximately 70% of homes.

The Windows Phone UI is also unique to itself rather than trying to compete with the app-grid UI the other 3 are using.

If I'm a windows PC owner, and I'm looking for the mobile OS that has the best integration with it, that's going to be a big draw. Also recently, MS issued a performance challenge to all iPhone/Android/BB users to compare performance of their device against a WP7 device and the end numbers were something to the tune of 10,000 wins for WP7 and 400 losses. Rigged or not, that's still going to make for some very good PR
    Chrisy and kbz1960 like this.
    04-30-12 09:03 AM
    The idea that it's the app though IS the marketing of the iPhone. That's the false sense of need. In that regard, it is a gimmicky way to market. That's what I think will wear off.

The 60+ folks will probably stay with iPhone. Maybe even elementary school kids. The rest, the majority, folks 20-50 will start returning to the device that does what it does well. Messaging, keeping in touch, keeping us organized.

It's just my opinion, mind you, that Apple and Android are a flash in the pan. Bright and quick like a dying star.

Out of curiosity...what device are you using the to read and reply to this thread? Be honest!
    A Droid X. I like being able to customize and make the phone mine.
    04-30-12 09:06 AM
    I'm looking at Windows phones now too.
    04-30-12 09:06 AM
    Windows 7 PC
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 09:08 AM
398 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD