No this is not a rant. I've just been thinking a lot about apps on the PlayBook and realized something profound: I don't need that many apps!!!!

I just had a realization that Apple has brainwashed everyone on the planet into thinking that it is cool to have a tablet with a buttload of apps. Speaking for myself, my PlayBook has TONS of games, but I havent even opened them all, not even close. I've only every played Angry Birds, GLWG and Theme Hotel. THATS IT! And that was only recently; most of the time I've been using the internet for sites like NBA, CrackBerrry, etc. vs their respective apps. Sure I would love more apps, who wouldnt? But what I'm saying is that it isn't a dealbreaker anymore, and I just hope more people realize that and RIM would market it in that way.

In closing, Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    Marty_LK, sk8er_tor, fdust and 3 others like this.
    04-29-12 10:35 PM
    I think everyone is tired of iPad/iPhone threads on a blackberry fan site...Face it people like apple products, it's not rocket science (or brain washing).

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-29-12 10:47 PM
    The bitten fruit is"genius"at avoiding taxes.
    04-29-12 10:53 PM
    The bitten fruit is"genius"at avoiding taxes.
    . . .and "cost optimization" programs.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    04-29-12 11:07 PM
    I think everyone is tired of iPad/iPhone threads on a blackberry fan site...Face it people like apple products, it's not rocket science (or brain washing).

How is this an Apple thread? I just refer to their tactics; I really believe that their marketing has led people to think that they NEED apps for everything and I believe otherwise after seeing the capabilities of the PlayBook. I didn't talk at all about liking Apple's products at all.

If anything, I'm commending the PlayBook on the fact that "it doesn't need an app for that" and that frankly I find it hypocritical of someone telling me not to talk about Apple when your on a Blackberry website on an iPhone. There are plenty of other Apple websites.
    04-29-12 11:09 PM
    Even though I am a dyed in the wool RIM fanatic.... there is no taking away the Apple genius in Marketing whether you agree with it or not.... They cerainly are no slouch in the hardware/OS department... but the inovation seems to be a bit lacking as of late.... will see what they come up with Iphone 5.....

As far as your realization goes... I do not think is actually Apple who came up with having to have so many apps.. As member have pointed out in endless threads... our society is based on getting things immediately if not sooner and in great quanitity....

I for one am happy with what I have..... If PB only has 15,000 or so apps how many can I actually use on my Playbook over a year... I guess if you ADD maybe more than others.... I have 30 games for my PB right now and have maybe only played 10......
    Puddin13, kozmo68, fdust and 2 others like this.
    04-29-12 11:12 PM
    No this is not a rant. I've just been thinking a lot about apps on the PlayBook and realized something profound: I don't need that many apps!!!!

I just had a realization that Apple has brainwashed everyone on the planet into thinking that it is cool to have a tablet with a buttload of apps. Speaking for myself, my PlayBook has TONS of games, but I havent even opened them all, not even close. I've only every played Angry Birds, GLWG and Theme Hotel. THATS IT! And that was only recently; most of the time I've been using the internet for sites like NBA, CrackBerrry, etc. vs their respective apps. Sure I would love more apps, who wouldnt? But what I'm saying is that it isn't a dealbreaker anymore, and I just hope more people realize that and RIM would market it in that way.

In closing, Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    This is what I believe also. The smaller amount of apps for the PB is inconsequential because it has most if not all of the apps a user needs. The Appworld has thousands of apps and the maximum number of user-installed apps I've ever had was under 200. And I'm talking Android and iOS. My PB currently has 86 user-installed apps. How in the world is anyone going to need thousands of apps?

But, like you, I want some other apps that are high-profile.
    04-29-12 11:30 PM
    04-29-12 11:41 PM
    The thought of an apple product makes me sick.. most of their products look like they are recycled from an airplane lavatory.. and the os? designed for kids? so immature.

but anyways.. apple products work because anyone can easily use them and the os seems to be very functional for them.. in my opinion.. i don't think it's worth anything.. it's more like chaining yourself to a wheelchair and then claiming you are the fastest walker.. or more like it's like a magic trick.. you love the trick until you find out how the magician did it.. you are so embarrassed after knowing the secret..
    04-30-12 12:09 AM
    Apple's tactics truly lead me into thinking that they are one of the smartest companies on the planet. What do you guys think?
    couldn't agree more, love or hate apple they are brilliant. they make....1 phone, 2 tablets (of which ones been out for a year), and laptops,desktops,workstations that you can count on both hands - pretty smart if you ask me. their entire product line is smaller than most other companies variations of a single product they sell. and with $98 billion in cash, you can't say they're not doing something right. not to mention for certain hardware features they're superior, and my only apple product is an ipod.

but anyways.. apple products work because anyone can easily use them and the os seems to be very functional for them.. in my opinion.. i don't think it's worth anything.. .
    its worth a few hundred billion dollars and over 50% of the tablet market.

its one thing to hate a company for its product, its another to foolishly overlook their business tactics.
    Last edited by Spinal; 04-30-12 at 12:29 AM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-30-12 12:21 AM
    It's awesome how some of you can be so rational in contributing to a discussion. You BB fanboys on the other hand...
    04-30-12 12:38 AM
    I call it "Having your bluff in", like poker. My hand isn't better than yours but I boast and strut so much you start to believe me and fold.

It was iTunes and the iPod that put Apple on the map financially. They got the mouse idea for the Mac from Xerox. It is an old song. They didn't really invent anything.

They just improved it and marketed it as the best thing going. I see Apple going down hill after people learn to play their game.

Back in the 80's a lot of people didn't like Michael Jackson, and I said...you may not like him, but you gotta hand it to him...the boy can make money.

Apple did take free BSD (A Unix/Linux type OS) and turn it into the OSX.

Remind you of anything? RIM took QNX, an Unix type OS and turned it into a tablet powerhouse.

QNX is all around you. Just google QNX. Now if they can just market QNX as a tablet OS and get the ecosystem strong enough, they can do a little strutting of their own.

They have already accomplished a major task. Built a super tablet from the ground up even though they lost a bundle...I expect this to change as the OS matures and more and more people take notice.

I have sold 6, with several more prospects. Word is spreading.
    04-30-12 01:11 AM
    Hey tripleali here's a link to a blog that is from another thread here.

The Truth Behind the PlayBook � HeneyBlog

I think what needs to be realized is that the only true comparison is that the PlayBook and the other tablets are tablets but the comparison gets fuzzy after that. Apple's intentions for the iPad are not RIM's intentions as well as some other high end tablets.

They do no and will not directly compare and neither should they. As i see it everyone (read the popular press) that can't stand on their own two feet ride the coat tails of big companies like blood sucking leeches. Everyone wants to sell Apple products because its popular. Look at all the advertisers that "sell" Apple products by exclusively tying there product to Apple by only offering an IOS app for their own product promotion.

By offering only an IOS app to promote Nike products, Nike is selling Apple devices.

Because RIM doesn't have third party product tie-ins they don't have that type of app in App World. Is that a realistic comparison?

That is only one comparison of many that I see that is a none relevant comparison.
    triplealiali likes this.
    04-30-12 01:13 AM
    I believe, the problem always starts with a thought that 7-point-something billion of people should think the same way as we are...

We probably look at that way i.e. APPS demands are resulted from brainwash... unfortunately, the 14-point-something million iPad users doesn't think that way... most of them probably thought, that we are blinded by RIM's visions that no matter what they produce, they are always fulfilling our needs...

There are probably few people who see and understand both views... and choose their product based on what they need and not what the product can do... or even other's views...
    04-30-12 03:18 AM

As far as your realization goes... I do not think is actually Apple who came up with having to have so many apps.. As member have pointed out in endless threads... our society is based on getting things immediately if not sooner and in great quanitity....
    I have to disagree with you there, the brilliance of Apple was because of the many things you could not do efficiently with their devices they need apps to, for example check the news. They were able to convince people that this was something they needed rather than a weakness. Marketing genius a weakness becomes a must have.
    04-30-12 04:42 AM
    They have the same persuasion tactics that Jim Jones had in with People's Temple all the way to the Kool Aid only with apps of course.
    04-30-12 04:51 AM
    Apple are marketing and demand generation geniuses, agreed.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    04-30-12 04:53 AM
    If I remember correctly Apple didn't even want apps on the phone at first? Or something like that. It came because people wanted them.
    Love them or hate them they make a product people want. And I know the OP intentions were good but these threads always go nowhere fast. Just the like the anti rim ones do.
    04-30-12 05:27 AM

I think you need to get over the fact that people need apps, apps which RIM currently does not and can not provide.

I start the day by checking my GMail app, then my Facebook app, Google+ app, Latitude app to see what my friends are up to. Then I check my Pulse app for updates on all the websites and blogs I follow and then check up on my Twitter app. All of this in a mere matter of minutes.

Then I open up my Skype app and call either my family or some friends in Denmark. I do this every day since I live in the U.S. now, such an easy and cheap way to keep in touch. Sometimes I do this through a Skype videocall.

Then I hit up the YouTube app for the latest daily reviews and updates on the channels I follow. After that I browse the web before I shower and have to go to work.

At work I again use the YouTube app to find entertaining funny videos I and my coworkers can laugh some at. Especially funny watching people do stupid things which usually ends up getting themselves hurt.

Sometimes I play a few games during my breaks. Latest hits for me is Scramble with Friends, Words with Friends and that new ZombieSmash. Some on my Android phone, some on my tablet.

Most of this accomplished entirely off my Motorola Xoom. Most of this could not be accomplished on the Playbook or a BB phone. And almost all of it through apps, not the web browser.

Other days I use other apps. My point is I need a whole lot of apps to effectively get me through the day, most of which are simply just not available for Blackberries. Just because you had a revelation you don't need apps, doesn't mean other people don't either.
    tjioer likes this.
    04-30-12 05:49 AM
    I think you need to get over the fact that people need apps, apps which RIM currently does not and can not provide.

I start the day by checking my GMail app, then my Facebook app, Google+ app, Latitude app to see what my friends are up to. Then I check my Pulse app for updates on all the websites and blogs I follow and then check up on my Twitter app. All of this in a mere matter of minutes.

Then I open up my Skype app and call either my family or some friends in Denmark. I do this every day since I live in the U.S. now, such an easy and cheap way to keep in touch. Sometimes I do this through a Skype videocall.

Then I hit up the YouTube app for the latest daily reviews and updates on the channels I follow. After that I browse the web before I shower and have to go to work.

At work I again use the YouTube app to find entertaining funny videos I and my coworkers can laugh some at. Especially funny watching people do stupid things which usually ends up getting themselves hurt.

Sometimes I play a few games during my breaks. Latest hits for me is Scramble with Friends, Words with Friends and that new ZombieSmash. Some on my Android phone, some on my tablet.

Most of this accomplished entirely off my Motorola Xoom. Most of this could not be accomplished on the Playbook or a BB phone. And almost all of it through apps, not the web browser.

Other days I use other apps. My point is I need a whole lot of apps to effectively get me through the day, most of which are simply just not available for Blackberries. Just because you had a revelation you don't need apps, doesn't mean other people don't either.
    sigh... i talk to my friends with my bbm app, i book my flight with my bb travel app, i find a cinema with my poynt app, i download good music with my music 7 app, i check my mail with my g mail app, i watch tv with my bbc iplayer app...all on my playbook. Whats your point?
    04-30-12 06:34 AM
    How is this an Apple thread? I just refer to their tactics; I really believe that their marketing has led people to think that they NEED apps for everything and I believe otherwise after seeing the capabilities of the PlayBook. I didn't talk at all about liking Apple's products at all.

If anything, I'm commending the PlayBook on the fact that "it doesn't need an app for that" and that frankly I find it hypocritical of someone telling me not to talk about Apple when your on a Blackberry website on an iPhone. There are plenty of other Apple websites.
    Lol @ commending the playbook for not needing an app...(and you say apple users are brainwashed) *shrugs*

kennyliu likes this.
    04-30-12 06:41 AM
    sigh... i talk to my friends with my bbm app, i book my flight with my bb travel app, i find a cinema with my poynt app, i download good music with my music 7 app, i check my mail with my g mail app, i watch tv with my bbc iplayer app...all on my playbook. Whats your point?
    I think he's saying that apps are great and useful, and that all the major apps are missing on Rimm's products.

04-30-12 06:45 AM
    Why bother, just use the web browser. Apple just brainwashed you into believing you need apps. Most of them you don't really need, right?

My point is the majority of people on Android and iOS devices use apps for the majority of the stuff they do. They COULD use the browser if they wanted to. But why would they want to go the slower route?
    triplealiali and kennyliu like this.
    04-30-12 06:50 AM
    I think he's saying that apps are great and useful, and that all the major apps are missing on Rimm's products.

sorry.. i was being grumpy, my point was this is old news. And most of the apps he mentioned are avaliable ,facebook, youtube, g mail etc.
    04-30-12 06:54 AM
    Apple products remind me of the New York Yankees.....either you love them or hate them, but both are good at what they do and worth lots of money in their respective businesses.
    04-30-12 06:54 AM
398 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD