I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy to see what time they opened tomorrow, and as soon as the line was picked up I had an automated recording that starting yesterday, Sunday April 17th, Best Buy is restarting preorders for the iPad2.

Was 4/17/11 always a target date for allow retailers to restart preorders once they sold out, or is Apple being sneaky in an underhanded attempt at trying to keep people from getting the PB?

Just thought it was interesting...
    04-18-11 01:47 PM
    I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy to see what time they opened tomorrow, and as soon as the line was picked up I had an automated recording that starting yesterday, Sunday April 17th, Best Buy is restarting preorders for the iPad2.

Was 4/17/11 always a target date for allow retailers to restart preorders once they sold out, or is Apple being sneaky in an underhanded attempt at trying to keep people from getting the PB?

When the iPad 2 was originally released, we were given a period of time by Apple where we could take reserve orders once the initial stock was gone so that future shipments would be allocated appropriately. I wouldn't put it past Apple, but given the fact that parts of the iPad 2 were manufactured in Japan and the obvious issues with that fact, it may just be that parts are becoming semi-available again. Which means that Apple wants to make an organized reshipment.
    04-18-11 01:50 PM

Coincidence.
    04-18-11 01:59 PM
    Ok, cool. I wasn't sure what their options were once the iPad2 sold out so quickly. Thanks guys.
    04-18-11 02:01 PM
    I wouldn't say it is a coincidence, but it isn't an evil plot against the Playbook

Apple does one thing REALLY REALLY well and that is Marketing, and the reorder availability of iPad2's would most certainly have been something Marketing was involved with, they would have pushed to ensure that reOrdering of iPad2's came out before the Playbook release, consumers learning about the playbook and tired of waiting to order a iPad2, might order the playbook now that they are seeing ads for it, so the iPad2 must be made available, for PreOrder, if this was an evil plan, they would be giving preorder fill dates, to go along with the announcement, as they would be acting like the diamond cartels and hording inventory for strategic launches. Apples first Launch and sell out was Strategic, the filling of preorders and continued orders is something they are going to attack hard.
    04-18-11 02:14 PM
    You guys are too paranoid. I remember on March 2nd when Apple unveiled the iPad 2, all this playbook news starting coming out. Were they being sneaky? Or is Apple the only sneaky ones?
    04-18-11 02:33 PM

The problem with that theory is that there are very few iPads to go around, despite the publicized "Sunday iPad" event (not pre-orders). Prospective buyers have been upset that they were turned away w/o getting an ipad.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    04-18-11 02:37 PM
    I don't know if 'sneaky' is the right word ... maybe 'strategically aggressive' would be more appropriate. I'm convinced that they rushed the iPad2 out to beat competitors to market, PlayBook in particular, and I see two facts that are very uncharacteristic of Apple to support this.

First, there's the meager improvements over iPad 1, at least by Apple's usual standards and compared to previous iPhone upgrades. Processor and cameras they had to do; but when is the last time Apple stopped at just doing what they had to? Second, there's the unprecedented delays in filling orders. Yes, new Apple product releases always sell out, but it's never taken this long to catch up before to the point where they had to formally 'resume' taking orders.

So I'm equally convinced that the timing of anything Apple does is never a coincidence, especially in the face of rising competition from so many directions in a relatively short time span. Not bashing Apple for this, either; if anything everybody else - especially RIM - should take a lesson from them in how to head off competitive threats and protect your market leadership position.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD