Sorry if posted before search turned up nothing. Is there something available.
    10-05-12 07:17 AM
    If you change/rename the extension to .zip, you should be able to open them if your computer supports zip files.
    10-05-12 07:22 AM
    He means on the PlayBook.
    10-05-12 07:42 AM
    If you change/rename the extension to .zip, you should be able to open them if your computer supports zip files.
    Nonsense. You need a program capable of opening RAR files (e.g. WinRAR, 7zip etc.) for it to work. Windows by default only includes ZIP support, installing WinRAR or 7zip (I prefer 7zip personally) will add support for a bunch of extra archive formats including RAR. There is no need to rename them, these programs should open them with the .RAR extension. (It only works when you rename them because these programs ignore the extension and look at the header of the file to determine the archive format, it is still opening them as RAR archives).

Plus, that doesn't anwser BBplaybookJS's question at all; they were looking for a PB app to open RAR archives, not a PC program.

BBplaybookJS: To answer your question, I believe the only way of doing it is to use an Android app. I believe ES File Explorer works for that. Find a converted BAR of it or convert it yourself and sideload it. Then you should just navigate to the RAR file, and tap it to navigate within it (or perhaps long tap to bring up options and choose "extract" or similar)
    AliasCBG likes this.
    10-05-12 07:46 AM
    Nonsense. You need a program capable of opening RAR files (e.g. WinRAR, 7zip etc.) for it to work. Windows by default only includes ZIP support, installing WinRAR or 7zip (I prefer 7zip personally) will add support for a bunch of extra archive formats including RAR. There is no need to rename them, these programs should open them with the .RAR extension. (It only works when you rename them because these programs ignore the extension and look at the header of the file to determine the archive format, it is still opening them as RAR archives).

Plus, that doesn't anwser BBplaybookJS's question at all; they were looking for a PB app to open RAR archives, not a PC program.

BBplaybookJS: To answer your question, I believe the only way of doing it is to use an Android app. I believe ES File Explorer works for that. Find a converted BAR of it or convert it yourself and sideload it. Then you should just navigate to the RAR file, and tap it to navigate within it (or perhaps long tap to bring up options and choose "extract" or similar)
    Maybe it is just my PCs, but if I change to zip the files open. They are old PCs on Windows XP Professional which may or may not have winzip on them.

I just renamed a PlayBook firmware file on my mac to .zip and it opens with the default archive utility.
    10-05-12 08:26 AM
    Sorry if posted before search turned up nothing. Is there something available.
    Sorry that I misunderstood that you wanted to open .rar files on the PlayBook. I was thinking you were looking to uncompress a something before installing it on the PlayBook, rather than uncompressing a file already on the PlayBook.

A search of rar on AppWorld brings up the Android port of uncompressor.
    hpjrt likes this.
    10-05-12 08:42 AM
    Maybe it is just my PCs, but if I change to zip the files open. They are old PCs on Windows XP Professional which may or may not have winzip on them.

I just renamed a PlayBook firmware file on my mac to .zip and it opens with the default archive utility.
    I just tested this on a XP VM(fresh XP image with no application), took a rar, rename it to zip, open and it and it gives error "The compressed(zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted. You might have some software installed on the PC which does it. And it is probably blended in explorer using some shell extension; so you did not noticed it.

OP: As said you need to get one from Android. I sideload AndroZip and it opens it fine.
    10-05-12 08:56 AM
    I just tested this on a XP VM(fresh XP image with no application), took a rar, rename it to zip, open and it and it gives error "The compressed(zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted. You might have some software installed on the PC which does it. And it is probably blended in explorer using some shell extension; so you did not noticed it.

OP: As said you need to get one from Android. I sideload AndroZip and it opens it fine.
    I think you may be correct. On my Mac I use a VMware fusion virtual machine with XP pro and it did not work. I assume for the rar files I used on the PC virtual machine, I must have done the rename to zip on my Mac and then decompressed it on the Mac before moving to the virtual machine. My other Machine, an actual PC was on XP pro as well but I probably have a zip program on it.
    10-05-12 09:13 AM
    Back to the OP's question, ES File Explorer (needs sideloading) can extract rar files.
    10-05-12 09:35 AM
    A search of rar on AppWorld brings up the Android port of uncompressor.
    Thanks. I have searched App World before, never saw Uncompressor before. It worked fine for me.
    10-06-12 08:10 PM
    I have es file explorer installed in my pb, but when I want to open rar file in email attachment, it can not be downloaded or extract.
    I need to open rar file in my email? what should I do?

thx
    10-07-12 11:02 AM