arggggg now we have embedded link icons for the mail sites as part of the OS like NFB before. tried deleting last night and found an update this morning for 6mb and of course it was for the icons I deleted.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    06-07-11 07:11 PM
    yeah that pissed me off too.
    06-07-11 07:38 PM
    It annoys me, and I actually emailed their PB Customer Support about it. I will be a bit, but I am going to go get a screen shot of their reply. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with my inquiry.

Last edited by TechNerd.McLeod; 06-07-11 at 07:53 PM.
    06-07-11 07:42 PM
    Well, at least RIM answered ... ya always have your friends here at CB to help you out

Regarding removal of 'core' icons n apps ... don't mess with apps that RIM was paid to install!
    Last edited by mandony; 06-07-11 at 09:29 PM.
    06-07-11 09:25 PM
    At least give us the ability to hide icons like we can on the BB phones. I don't want those lame *** icons on my desktop!
    06-07-11 09:28 PM
    really frustrating. Mine are sat right at the bottom so pretty much hidden as all the crap I never use is down there.
    06-07-11 10:27 PM
    such a small issue in the global scheme of things, at least to me.
    Intosh likes this.
    06-07-11 10:44 PM
    yeah this pisses me off too as I only use gmail
    06-08-11 09:06 AM
    Are those icons just links to the web based site in the browser?
    If so, yeah that would suck. Does the PB allow you to add bookmarks to your home screen?

Maybe the ability to hide icons is coming soon.
    06-08-11 10:15 AM
    They are just weblinks Daps, you can add bookmarks to your home screen.
    06-08-11 10:27 AM
    That would annoy me seeing an AOL icon that I couldn't delete. I don't get the purpose of putting them on your home screen if they are just links. Let the user decide if he wants a link to those services or at least allow them to be deleted.

That's one reason I jailbroke my iphone. So I could hide the stock,weather & youtube icons.
    06-08-11 10:47 AM
    At least give us the ability to hide icons like we can on the BB phones. I don't want those lame *** icons on my desktop!
    Why not delete them? I did...

Tim
    06-08-11 11:46 AM
    Yeah, I deleted them and then suspected that was what the small update was that showed up but ran it just in case. Now that I know, I won't do the small update and they'll stay gone, at least until the next big update. Not a huge issue, to me.
    06-08-11 12:16 PM
    i deleted mine and never got an update to put them back...weird that you guys are getting updates for weblinks
    06-08-11 12:18 PM
    Just annoying to have the update available always showing.

How many of these types of threads are we up to now BTW? 26 or 27?
    06-08-11 12:58 PM
    Yet ANOTHER RIM move entirely based on their revenue schemes and in the face of user experience.

It's one thing to foist dooshy useless icons when you ship. To spam your paying customers with the crap they've already chosen to delete from existence is unpardonable.

Be one thing if the box was free and you were paying for applications or server time. That, however, is not the case. I bought it, I merely want control over the gui and software.

RIM gets a gentleman's C Minus from me so far.
    06-08-11 01:16 PM
    Why's it stick in your crawl so much, who cares. Oh, and, they've always been there btw..
    06-08-11 01:23 PM
    Because I think AOL and Gmail and Hotmail are bad products by bad companies, in some cases companies I actively boycott, and I like a clean, efficient screen space customizable to my workflow. I have this with every other piece of technology I own.
    06-08-11 02:00 PM
    I've had these icons from day one. The only difference after the update is the icons were moved to the bottom of the list. They never bothered me... I just put them all in a row of icons I never use.
    06-08-11 02:15 PM
    wow didn't know my thread had gotten this many responses.

and yes they were there before but we could delete them and not have the auto OS update showing. now it does! not a huge issue but that seems like a backward step to me
    06-08-11 03:30 PM
    wow didn't know my thread had gotten this many responses.

and yes they were there before but we could delete them and not have the auto OS update showing. now it does! not a huge issue but that seems like a backward step to me
    I always had a small update after deleting useless apps, (AOL, Facebook and Twitter) with the old OS.
    06-09-11 08:34 AM
    I always had a small update after deleting useless apps, (AOL, Facebook and Twitter) with the old OS.
    I deleted the email icons on mine on the old OS and never got a request to update. I wonder why they started this crap now! It wouldn't be a big deal if they allowed us to hide icons.
    06-09-11 10:12 AM
    I deleted the email icons on mine on the old OS and never got a request to update. I wonder why they started this crap now! It wouldn't be a big deal if they allowed us to hide icons.
    If you want a good laugh, look at the official demos by RIM that can be found here: BlackBerry How To Demo for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

Once there, click on "Your Blackberry Tablet" from the top menu; then look in the "Personalize" section; and the click on the demo titled "Move or Hide Apps".

Despite the title of the demo indicating that it will show you how to hide apps, and despite the opening introduction of the demo that indicates that the demo will indicate how to hide apps - the demo does not explain how to hide apps.

I had to listen and watch it four times to make sure I didnt blink and missed a little trick of hiding apps. Hopefully, a way to hide apps does, or will, exist in the future.
    06-09-11 10:28 AM
    I ran the mini update again because I'd rather have 4 icons down in the mix than seeing that Update Available icon on the Notification Bar which I use frequently.

Not sure if its related, and it doesn't seem like it would be, but after running it again my browser has become a lot more stable than it was yesterday...
    06-09-11 10:46 AM
    Why's it stick in your crawl so much, who cares. Oh, and, they've always been there btw..
    not so. i only had 2 before, now the list had grown to include all the worthless (to me) fb, aol etc.
    i do not mind deleting them so much, as these constant update notifications. they are so wasteful and downright annoying.
    and if these are just links, why such a royal treatment? why are they making os think they are important pieces and wanting to try to update the pb?

i saw several threads about os notifications which confuse people into thinking that something went wrong with their updates. that is not a good customer service.
    06-10-11 01:11 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD