Hey guys,

Were heading on vacation, and rather than bringing my pc, id like to simply bring the playbook. My question is, while on vacation, we'll have a camera and we'll be taking pictures. I was wondering, is there a way to transfer the pictures of the camera on the playbook? USB host hasn't been enable yet right?

Anyone has a suggestion?

Camera is not using a micro SD.

Thanks
    06-06-12 08:24 AM
    I think this is impossible. Unless you have a wifi enabled camera in which case you use wifi to transfer pics from your camera to your playbook via a cloud service. No, playbook's mini USB is not for this purpose. Why just don't you take photos with your playbook? Yes, I know it will not be the same quality but maybe worth a try?

Enjoy your holidays.
    06-06-12 08:59 AM
    yes, I'll do take picture with the playbook, but also with the Cam. Sand/Beach and playbook doesn't really work together
    06-06-12 09:01 AM
    If you get an Eye-fi card for your camera, about 50 bucks if you search, you can take pictures on your camera, and then just go to a wifi hotspot( ie. starbuck or hotel), when you turn on the camera, the camera/card will download your images to the Eye-fi server, then you can get them on your Playbook by loging on to your Eye-fi account.

I have one in my Oly E3 and it works great. They have Mobile card for Playbook and Android nwhich will dump directly to their pads. They are working on a native Platbook version. WHICH I AM WAITING PATIENTLY..........

that way I can keep my Playbook in my camera backpack, and shoot on the run, and images go directly to the Playbook.

C

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo and video uploads from your camera to your computer & the web. | Eye-Fi
    06-06-12 09:16 AM
    Thanks ill look it up. I was maybe even thinking of getting a micro SD, then use the microSD to SD card.. to take my picture, then insert the microSD into the 9900 to move the pictures to the playbook.
    06-06-12 09:24 AM
    That would work. I have a .bar file of the Android app for the Eye-Fi card. sometime I will try to sideload it and hopefully the Eye-Fi card will dump DIRECTLY to the Playbook.

Will post when I get the courage...........

C
    06-06-12 10:33 AM
    Perfect
    06-06-12 10:34 AM
    What about a Bluetooth card reader? Do you get something like that? Need to research. Wifi is not always available on foreign trips, so BT will be better.

I am also interested in this solution. On previous trips, I used a Lenovo netbook to transfer my pictures which works great, allthough tedious. From SD or microSD to netbook, then from netbook to Xoom (now I also have PB). The fact that I could browse and view photos on tablet is much better than netbook.
    If we can figure this out, I can leave netbook.

Update: something like this? http://www.beboxx.com/coen/usb-bluet...track=feedgCrS
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-06-12 at 10:50 AM.
    mszbzltn and OneArseneWenger like this.
    06-06-12 10:47 AM
    If you get an Eye-fi card for your camera.
    Interesting. I do see the direct method creates its own 'wifi network' for transfer, but you need iPhone or Android app. Does this Android app work on PB?
    06-06-12 11:01 AM
    Interesting. I do see the direct method creates its own 'wifi network' for transfer, but you need iPhone or Android app. Does this Android app work on PB?
    Going to try the sideload method of installing the Android app and see what happens. I have a second Playbook that I use as a "Testbed" for this type of thing. will try this in the next day or two. and will update.

Also wish one could setup an ad-hoc type of thing for the playbook..........

C
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-06-12 11:13 AM
    Micro SD to your 9900 will work for sure though bridged content is limited in what you can do, have to save pictures back to the BB. You can use a micro to SD card adapter to hold the microSD card right in your camera so you don't need to copy it over. That works with my cameras and a 32GB microSD card. Too bad the PlayBook doesn't have a card slot...

EyeFI if it works will let you copy the files directly to your PlayBook.
    Last edited by hpulley; 06-06-12 at 11:43 AM.
    06-06-12 11:38 AM
    Good topic going on here

Thanks guys... ill see whats the best solution
    06-06-12 11:49 AM
    A convoluted workaround might be to get a micro sd card and adapter for use in the camera and then swap the card into the bb phone and then transfer the pics from the phone to the pb using Files-Folders or other file manager which allows access to phone and pb. Not easy and the transfer could be slow.
    06-06-12 01:20 PM
    Just email yourself and then download the pic
    06-06-12 02:22 PM
    Just email yourself and then download the pic
    Trying to be a smartass? Or a moron? Clearly you do not understand the topic.
    06-06-12 02:26 PM
    What about a Bluetooth card reader? Do you get something like that? Need to research. Wifi is not always available on foreign trips, so BT will be better.

Update: something like this? USB Bluetooth + Card Reader Combo
    This seems like a smart solution. Does anybody have any experience with it?
    06-06-12 06:34 PM
    A whole thread exists on using the eyefi card with the PB and the eyefi sideloaded android application.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ed-app-708175/
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-06-12 11:19 PM
    Anyone tried this (although it is expensive!): AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more ; if so please feedback if it works smoothly with the PB?

(or the bluetooth adapter listed above??)
    Last edited by amiteo; 08-31-12 at 07:38 AM.
    08-30-12 01:11 PM
    Actually , on the bridging to your phone and transferring files possibility, has anyone tried these kind of things:

SD to MicroSD/TransFlash Card Converter Module - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    so connect this to a BB phone and then bridge transfer the SD card contents?
    Last edited by amiteo; 08-31-12 at 07:38 AM.
    08-31-12 07:35 AM
    There are the new eye-fi sd cards and there's an eye-fi android app. The card uses wifi to transfer photos to the pb. I have used it at home and it can be quite slow. Supposedly, there is a Direct method where it can work in the field but I've not gotten around to that. There are a few threads on it.
    08-31-12 09:18 AM
    You can download the android Eye-fi app .bar file from here Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Market and Store - Playbook App Market and Store and then sideload it to your PB. You'll need an 8GB Eye-Fi SD card (about $40 at Walmart online) in your camera' which becomes a wi-fi hotspot. The camera then transfers your pics directly to your PB without the need for a computer, wi-fi network, etc. . . . just the camera and PB. Sideloading apps is well documented. The Eye-fi site has lots on info on compatible cameras.

This system works great for me! BTW, Eye-fi transfers your pic to the \misc\android\eye-fi folder in the PB. You can move them to, and create, your photo albums with a copy of 'My File Manage' available from BB App World.
    09-12-12 05:54 PM
    If u do the microsd to sd and throw it in your phone u can use es file explorer to transfer all the pics over bluetooth.
    09-12-12 06:44 PM
    Here's another method... cobbled together with cables. Use whatever the chip is in the camera in a USB reader... and bring along your USB data cable for your PB. All you need is the hotel computer and two USB ports. Both items will show up as drives and you can connect the dots. (Alternatively, some cameras have a USB port built-in so you can go camera to computer to PB.) Most places have guest computers or business office workstations.
    09-12-12 11:19 PM
    If u do the microsd to sd and throw it in your phone u can use es file explorer to transfer all the pics over bluetooth.
    Yep - that was what I was thinking when I suggested the the micro sd/sd adapter - sorry if didn't make it clear. What I was wondering was that if someone had tried one of these adapters and if they worked well?
    09-13-12 03:33 AM
    Here's another method... cobbled together with cables. Use whatever the chip is in the camera in a USB reader... and bring along your USB data cable for your PB. All you need is the hotel computer and two USB ports. Both items will show up as drives and you can connect the dots. (Alternatively, some cameras have a USB port built-in so you can go camera to computer to PB.) Most places have guest computers or business office workstations.
    I think this one's the easiest and straight forward. Copy-paste!
    09-13-12 04:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD