I have a PlayBook used simply for viewing local media, and so I block it at my router from reaching the outside world...for reasons.

Every so often it seems to want to check in with BlackBerry, and annoyingly prompts for the BlackBerry ID password. Seems the only way to stop being prompted is to unblock it and allow it to do its thing. A minor hassle.

Eventually (soon?), BlackBerry will surely turn off whatever server responds to the check-in, and then I assume the prompt will never go away. For everybody.

Is there any to have the PlayBook not check in?

Thanks.
    05-06-19 01:04 PM
    I have a PlayBook used simply for viewing local media, and so I block it at my router from reaching the outside world...for reasons.

Every so often it seems to want to check in with BlackBerry, and annoyingly prompts for the BlackBerry ID password. Seems the only way to stop being prompted is to unblock it and allow it to do its thing. A minor hassle.

Eventually (soon?), BlackBerry will surely turn off whatever server responds to the check-in, and then I assume the prompt will never go away. For everybody.

Thanks.
    It's meant to be a "connected" device....

How BlackBerry handles simple "check in" remains to be seen.
    05-06-19 01:30 PM
    It's meant to be a "connected" device....
    True, and thanks for that input. Though, respectfully, I reserve the right to use my device in the way I see fit.

I had mothballed the PlayBook so long ago that the tablet I bought to replace it has likewise been mothballed! The PlayBook was recently brought back to life as it is perfect as a dedicated viewer for our video doorbell. Blocking it from everything else ensures it stays dedicated to that use.

How BlackBerry handles simple "check in" remains to be seen.
    Also true. My fear is that BlackBerry will put out a short-term, unannounced update for PlayBooks that disable the check-in, and mine will be blocked from getting it.
    05-07-19 08:20 AM
    True, and thanks for that input. Though, respectfully, I reserve the right to use my device in the way I see fit.

I had mothballed the PlayBook so long ago that the tablet I bought to replace it has likewise been mothballed! The PlayBook was recently brought back to life as it is perfect as a dedicated viewer for our video doorbell. Blocking it from everything else ensures it stays dedicated to that use.

Also true. My fear is that BlackBerry will put out a short-term, unannounced update for PlayBooks that disable the check-in, and mine will be blocked from getting it.
    No... you have the right to use any said device, within the limits the manufacture allows. So PlayBook phone home....

Many here think that BB10 will get some kinda of patch to remove all it's reliance on BlackBerry's servers. Personally I doubt it, too much of a risk for other issues. They do nothing but shut things down... that's it for an EOL product. They try patching things, that puts the burden back on them. And this wouldn't be some minor patch with no risk of other issues....

It is a shame not to be able to find uses for these... (still great speaker on them). My wife wants to "Marie Kondo" my dead technology drawer... phones/tablets/MiFi/Routers/Modems/TV Remotes/Drives/Switches... what am I going to do with a with some 10BASE-T switches?
    05-07-19 09:31 AM

Thanks.
    Permanently place it in airplane mode?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-19 02:18 PM
    Permanently place it in airplane mode?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, wasn't clear: by "local media" I mean my media on my local network. So, still need WiFi.

Thanks.
    05-07-19 03:00 PM
    My fear is that BlackBerry will put out a short-term, unannounced update for PlayBooks that disable the check-in.
    Not a chance in hell. Lol.
    05-07-19 03:14 PM
    Not a chance in hell. Lol.
    Did you say that when people were asking for help with the activation issues?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-19 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Ya.

Although I also stipulated that help wouldn't come if it was any harder than plugging back in an extension cord.
    05-07-19 04:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah nothing is ever certain.

I wouldn't even rule out a new QNX phone being released...
    05-08-19 08:03 AM