Hello folks. I use my Playbook as a sat nav. However the apps we have are very poor. Magellan, I have never been able to run off line. Osmand+, does not override the screen display, so turns off every 5 minutes which necessitates a swipe to recommence. Not good whilst driving. My question is, as Navigator is now available for the Playbok, is anyone using it for Navigation. Does it override the screen cut off time?

Hope you can help.

regards

Ross
    02-24-13 02:31 AM
    Navigator is awesome, it works 100% offline and is very accurate, I have used it many times:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ps-app-770748/

but it doesnt prevent the playbook to go on standby, I contacted the dev about this issue and he said it is not possible with the current os but in bb10 this issue is already resolved.
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    02-24-13 02:46 AM
    Thank you for such a prompt reply Blackman91. Information duly noted. I eagerly await BB10.

Regards

Ross
    02-24-13 02:51 AM
    An alternative would be this app: BlackBerry World - Stay ON

But the app has to be visible for it to override the standby, so you could set the app behaviour to showcase and minimize both the stay on app and the navigaton app.
    02-24-13 03:07 AM
    So stay on, an app that is supposed to keep the screen on while you're doing other things doesn't work in the background? Hmmm.. Other apps have bee able to override the screen,such as "Today's Alarm Clock", but that is a native app, not an android port.
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    02-24-13 07:12 AM
    Thank you for the information bseigle. I installed and tried 'today's alarm clock' . Unfotunatley, no matter what I tried, the Playbook would not stay on after 5 minutes. Ah well.

Regards

Ross
    02-24-13 09:53 AM
    In the settings for Today's Alarm - set Bedside mode to ON.

This is a great app and does work well. As for Navigation, I have not been able to find a suitable app either......very strange that a developer has not been able to produce an always on mode.
    02-24-13 01:06 PM
    Thank you for the reply createwww. Unfortunately the app only allows the screen to remain 'on' if the the app is active. If it is minimized and another app is active then the screen turns off after 5 minutes. So, cannot be used to assist Sat nav. Good try. Back to using the Nexus, Bummer!!
    02-24-13 01:57 PM
    Magellan, I have never been able to run off line.
    Ross
    Magellan Compass can be used offline, but you need to download maps you require into cache beforehand.
    Note that maps at high levels (street, blocks) takes a lot of space. Also I noticed that Magellan lags terribly if you have little space left, for example, just 1-1.5GB on 16Gb Playbook.
    02-24-13 02:53 PM