The loss of one particular app (TextPlus) with the 2.1 upgrade makes me want to downgrade to .668. Can it be done safely?
    Appreciate anyone's advice.
    10-07-12 11:25 PM
    down grading an OS for one app? yikes.
    10-08-12 01:26 AM
    Maybe try contacting the dev and ask if they will port the app over.

Yes you should be able to downgrade, do a search and you will find out how
    10-08-12 02:08 AM
    Maybe this link will help? Playbook OS Downgrade Tutorial - BerryLicio.us | BerryLicio.us It is for an older OS2 version, but the steps are there, you may have to hunt for the newest of the old OS you want. Of course use it at your own risk, especially since some of it may or may not apply (or even work).
    10-08-12 02:16 AM
    I have not had a bad thing to say about the PB yet, I could live with the bugs early on etc, then we got the long awaited do 2.1 update. I was content, the PB finally did everything I needed. Then this last update comes along and I lost my saved email, contact, browser freezes now, some of my games freeze during play, crashes etc. What the heck?? Why have we taken a step backwards here?? I am going to start reading through the posts on how to down grade (if possible).
    10-08-12 04:00 AM
    Why not call Rim or dev about the issues, this really as been the best update I've seen,and I thought. 668 was pulled might need to go back further.
    10-08-12 06:30 AM
    before a downgrade backup your data and do a security wipe, this helped me with similar problems after a OTA beta update.

Have to do it myself right now too, after the latest update my cameras stopped working :-/
    10-08-12 07:15 AM
    I would try the backup, security wipe, debrick, and restore first.

Here are the directions to downgrade from the 2.1.0.840 beta. They should work for 2.1 unless RIM blocked downgrading.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-840-a-745129/.
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-08-12 at 08:41 AM.
    10-08-12 08:28 AM
    down grading an OS for one app? yikes.
    I know it might seem extreme, but I didn't mind .668 and texting had become much easier using textplus on the Playbook. I have a nokia phone with terrible buttons and the triple press style keyboard and texting is a great way to keep in touch with my daughter. I will try backup, wipe, and debrick first. Thanks all.
    10-08-12 10:22 AM
    With help of everyone on the forum I did a backup, wipe and debrick. Then reloaded TexPlus. Closing the app causes it to force a shut down when re-opened so I leave it running paused in the background for now. I love the app enough to not mind doing that. I have been told though that the person who ported it has made changes that make that unnecessary so I'll reload the new one when I get the chance.
    God, I love this tablet and the new os! Thanks again.
    Last edited by jsdhornby; 10-09-12 at 01:14 PM.
    10-08-12 09:50 PM
    before a downgrade backup your data and do a security wipe, this helped me with similar problems after a OTA beta update.

Have to do it myself right now too, after the latest update my cameras stopped working :-/
    Can you backup in higher version and restore in lower version?
    10-08-12 10:19 PM
    TextPlus crashed again. Just by pushing the phone tab by mistake. The new Text Me port also only works to send between subscribers, it won't send to landlines with this app on the playbook. it closed as soon as I said yes to getting my own text number which you need to text a phone. I'm done with trying to figure it out. I'm back to my old slow numberpad texting. Very sad. It worked beautifully on 668.
    10-10-12 01:53 AM
    I thought once you hit 2.1 (beta or official) you couldn't downgrade. I guess this not true.
    10-10-12 03:28 AM