...because my iPad is a pain for actually downloading videos to local storage...
    Is it actually possible to download videos or other files to any sort of locally manageable storage scheme on the iPad at all?

The Playbook is awesome for being able to manually manage downloads for local storage, just like all BB10 and even Android devices.

The Playbook's built in file manager for this isn't the greatest but there are several third party file managers that help do the trick. Combine this with the fact that the Playbook has a local file system that can be accessed through USB or WiFi just like through any other Windows Explorer file system tools and the Playbook significantly outshines even the most modern iPad on this front.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by spARTacus; 02-09-19 at 08:16 AM.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-09-19 06:58 AM
    Is it actually possible to download videos or other files to any sort of locally manageable storage scheme on the iPad at all?

The Playbook is awesome for being able to manually manage downloads for local storage, just like all BB10 and even Android devices.

The Playbook's built in file manager for this isn't the greatest but there are several third party file managers that help do the trick. Combine this with the fact that the Playbook has a local file system that can be accessed through USB or WiFi just like through any other Windows Explorer file system tools and the Playbook significantly outshines even the most modern iPad on this front.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Agree 100%, and its sound and picture quality are still excellent, IMO. I download hires audio and open courseware lectures on my PC each morning and transfer them to the PlayBook for the day. Then I don't have to worry about an Internet connection for my media on my commute or during any other down time when I want to enjoy them.

I can do this on my KEYone as well, but the PlayBook audio and video quality are hugely superior.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-09-19 12:06 PM
    I use my PB everyday, as a bedside alarm clock, mounted on the original BlackBerry stand charger base. Also have weather and side loaded Nest app's active. I set the screen time out to about 10 seconds, so that after touching the screen to check the time, it fades away quickly (when mounted on the charger base, the screen becomes active with a simple one finger touch, as opposed to a swipe up when not being charged). At night, the screen brightness can be a bit annoying with a longer time out.

From my bedside, I can check the time, cancel alarm, check weather and adjust my Nest thermostat.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-09-19 02:45 PM
    lol ... I don't know why I found this funny...but I was thinking to use it for the exact same but I dont have nest.
    02-13-19 11:51 AM
    It is somewhat surprising that the PlayBook still has superior audio and camera compared to many current tablets and phones. We have two and I use mine for Slacker, photos and movies especially when traveling.
    The other one we use at our business for work related photos and videos .

Posted via CB10
    02-13-19 12:27 PM
    Am using ES File manage to "stream" music from my WLAN. And also using Ghost Commander to download videos and Mp3 to local storage. Using also Fire Tube for downloading Top Gear etc from Youtube. 64GB Playbook.

Wonder which map app folks are using as a satnav? I've tried OSMand but it's so slow, unusable.
    02-13-19 04:23 PM
    Anyone still actively using their Playbook? I still use mine it's a great little tablet I just wish it could be used with PRIV. It was a little bit of a let down not being able to work with the z10 but I still use mine for media and videos as portable tablet.
    I have two Playbooks, and wish I had more. I dedicated one to a home automation thing I'm building - it constantly displays the various sensors' data.

The other I use for music, storing and reading PDF's, checking the weather (best weather app I've seen).

I'm having more and more trouble getting into more and more websites as they upgrade and Blackberry doesn't, which is why I've got an 7" import Android POS. Sad.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who still appreciates them.
    Dave
    02-13-19 05:20 PM
    It is somewhat surprising that the PlayBook still has superior audio and camera compared to many current tablets and phones. We have two and I use mine for Slacker, photos and movies especially when traveling.
    The other one we use at our business for work related photos and videos .

Posted via CB10
    how do you watch movies on it? you mean you download the movies on the data storage space and you can watch them? but does the PB open the movie formats?
    02-13-19 08:16 PM
    ...dedicated one to a home automation thing I'm building - it constantly displays the various sensors' data...
    Nice. Are the sensors simply broadcasting their data through multicast and then the Playbook simply listening and recording? Or, maybe the Playbook is running some sort of syslog service to capture the sensor data?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    02-13-19 08:20 PM
    Nice. Are the sensors simply broadcasting their data through multicast and then the Playbook simply listening and recording? Or, maybe the Playbook is running some sort of syslog service to capture the sensor data?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Nothing so fancy as that, although I would like to head in that closed circuit direction eventually. All I've done so far is build a private web server - the PlayBook displays the sensor data on the web page.

It's based on Randomnerdtutorials.com's weather station but instead of weather, I'm monitoring flame, fuel and air flow, plus high heat in various places, etc., in an outdoor furnace. I'm using a couple of Omega2's as WiFi range extenders for a stronger signal between the furnace and the house. I'm now adding a wired channel, for completely separate redundancy.

The next stage (still in the planning), is an automated, top-heavy, orderly shutdown, in case things go wrong.

Dave
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    02-14-19 10:10 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Nothing so fancy as that, although I would like to head in that closed circuit direction eventually. All I've done so far is build a private web server - the PlayBook displays the sensor data on the web page.

It's based on Randomnerdtutorials.com's weather station but instead of weather, I'm monitoring flame, fuel and air flow, plus high heat in various places, etc., in an outdoor furnace. I'm using a couple of Omega2's as WiFi range extenders for a stronger signal between the furnace and the house. I'm now adding a wired channel, for completely separate redundancy.

The next stage (still in the planning), is an automated, top-heavy, orderly shutdown, in case things go wrong.

Dave
    02-14-19 10:20 AM
    how do you watch movies on it? you mean you download the movies on the data storage space and you can watch them? but does the PB open the movie formats?
    I download DRM-free MP4s to play every day. These are legal videos from a variety of sources.

02-14-19 11:33 AM
    Kalemsoft media player plays just about everything, though was a paid app and sadly is not available on BlackBerry world anymore.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-19 06:53 PM
    Kalemsoft media player plays just about everything, though was a paid app and sadly is not available on BlackBerry world anymore.

Posted via CB10
    You can actually still buy KalemSoft Media Player for the Playbook from their website directly:

KalemSoft - Store

Combined with KalemSoft Media Streamer, you can stream any content you want (movies, TV shows, whatever you have at home or on a NAS) over the Internet to your Playbook. It's an awesome app.
    anon(5597702) and dmlis like this.
    02-15-19 05:31 PM
    You can actually still buy KalemSoft Media Player for the Playbook from their website directly:

KalemSoft - Store

Combined with KalemSoft Media Streamer, you can stream any content you want (movies, TV shows, whatever you have at home or on a NAS) over the Internet to your Playbook. It's an awesome app.
    Good to know, thanks! Strongly recommend this app too.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-19 06:30 PM
    Still mainly a bookreader for us. Kobo is abandoning the PB app, but found that I can download Kobo books as epubs and then transfer to PB using usb. Then read with one of the two bookreader apps I have. Do same with epubs from other sources.

I am away from home for winter, and PB won't connect to resort wifi. However it does work at home and elsewhere. So I do use it for email when wifi is available. However, I have ongoing problem with Gmail - They keep telling me that my account has been accessed by an unrecognized device! I have to jump through hoops to get it back working. Then it happens again. So, I just give up. Have other ways of reading emails anyway!

Anyway, must run. Have to go read a good book on PB
    dmlis likes this.
    03-07-19 08:08 PM
    I go a few months without using my playbook and then I find some task that it does well and use it for a while. I like to use it as something to do journaling thoughts on or quick document with a bluetooth keyboard. I leave WiFi off so I don’t have anything distracting me or slowing things down. It still works great for that and plays music while you are doing it. I was looking at playbooks the other day on eBay and happened to see today 16gb that I was looking at was out of stock. The 32gb “refurbished” was the same price. I ended up ordering 3 of them for a total of 42 bucks and some change. What will I do with them? Idk for that price I can toss them around and not worry about what happens to them...but they will probably end up in a case. Lol I almost bought a couple Bold 9930’s yesterday. Some of this older tech is so cheap now.
    03-11-19 11:33 PM
    Yup, I have 2 64GB PBs! Great for watching videos esp when you have a toddler!
    03-22-19 01:09 PM
    Hey AladarMezga,

Thanks a lot for your reply. But it has already been solved by now, so that it's no problem to activate it anymore.
    In this thread it has been announced: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13311620

So now it works fine again

Best regards

Quaint
    That's good to know. Thanks.

I use my Playbook every day still. No issues other than the obvious browser stuff. Nice to know that when I buy another or replace this that I can still carry on!
    04-06-19 04:08 PM
    I have two Playbooks, and wish I had more. I dedicated one to a home automation thing I'm building - it constantly displays the various sensors' data.

The other I use for music, storing and reading PDF's, checking the weather (best weather app I've seen).

I'm having more and more trouble getting into more and more websites as they upgrade and Blackberry doesn't, which is why I've got an 7" import Android POS. Sad.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who still appreciates them.
    Dave
    Hey Davegsc,

Do you have a YouTube video to show your home automation?
    That sounds great!
    04-06-19 04:10 PM
    I just pulled mine out again this week. I usually take it with me when I travel due to the games and music I have on it. I have a Samsung tablet, which I enjoy, but I haven't really downloaded games or music on it. I would be willing to pay for an updated browser if someone would offer one. I have worked with an iPad as well but still love my playbook. I would be interested in downloading movies to watch when I travel. Where are the sites you download from and are the apps you are using still available?

Posted via CB10
    04-19-19 07:28 PM
    I had/have 3 on active duty until recently; 2x32GB and 1x16GB. One of the 32GBs was on reserve and only powered up for updates and battery check but was dropped by my partner and is now unusable. I just came across a new looking 32GB in a thrift store for $10. Looks gorgeous and boots up as expected so of course this immediately got added to the collection.
    dmlis likes this.
    04-20-19 03:08 PM
    I still use my PlayBook for work, I have Dropbox downloaded from Good Reader in a bar file and download work files to my PlayBook and edit them with Docs to Go and save.

To transfer from my PlayBook I use the íshare app from Blackberry World to my BlackBerry Keyone or to my Dropbox account.

All seems to work quite well and I find the PlayBook the perfect size to work on when travelling and the battery life is still quite amazing
    04-28-19 10:28 AM
    I still use my PlayBook for work, I have Dropbox downloaded from Good Reader in a bar file and download work files to my PlayBook and edit them with Docs to Go and save.

To transfer from my PlayBook I use the íshare app from Blackberry World to my BlackBerry Keyone or to my Dropbox account.

All seems to work quite well and I find the PlayBook the perfect size to work on when travelling and the battery life is still quite amazing
    I have a new iPad Air that I won in a contest, but the PlayBook is STILL my preferred tablet for enjoying downloaded media while commuting and traveling.

The inability of the iPad to download and manage local media files is a deal killer for the open license videos I watch daily.

dmlis and A Noise Annoys like this.
    04-28-19 11:09 AM
    Someone in the building where I live bought an Amazon Fire but could not get it to work so he called me. As I fiddled with it I thought this would be good for my grandson. However, the screen was very jerky, not smooth. Plus there was lots of stuff to buy ( advertisements) I eventually got it working but I was not impressed especially when compared to my PlayBook which I use quite often. I do a lot of reports on it, then email them, no problem. Spreadsheets modified, no problem. Music is excellent and so are the cameras. The Browser is the only problem. Batteries are still good and I bought it in 2011. Still going good. So I am looking for one for my grandson. I also found out that with all the backups I did, Everything is still available somewhere in the backups. Too bad, so sad, what a great tablet.
    04-29-19 08:16 PM
685 ... 2223242526 ...